Cg Transmission Rebuild

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
If you have the FSM you know the factory part # of the tool used, I purchased many of my honda specialty tools from majestic honda.

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 88crx si (B16A1swap) 85crx si (D16a1swap) 90 ford mustang coupe (347 stroker 6 speed) 2000 Honda RC51 (full Ohlins suspension,MoriwakiExh.)
Yes as Puddle Skipper said,It's in the service manual. i looked up the number on google (07923-6890101 or 07pab-0010001 main-shaft holder) and was surprised to see the actual cost of the tool. I tried e-bay and found it for
$40. I'm using a pilot bearing puller tool for the CSB, It's used to remove pilot bearings/bushings from flywheels. Here's an example:http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000X282DM

Edited by eec4tuner, 12 October 2012 - 03:53 AM.

Living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage

guys i am about to dive into a full on transmission re-build my question is, what do i do about the gasket between the transmission case? I know its thicker than just a normal gasket, what are you all doing about this gasket that is no longer able to be purchased?

The Original CR-Z driver

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88crx si (B16A1swap) 85crx si (D16a1swap) 90 ford mustang coupe (347 stroker 6 speed) 2000 Honda RC51 (full Ohlins suspension,MoriwakiExh.)

I used silicone gasket.

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage

i hear the only problem with using that the lower gasket is thicker for reasons of spacing from what i read on other forums, not sure the validity of that statement. Also were the bearings and synchro's you got from that company good?

The Original CR-Z driver

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip

I heard the same about the gasket. If you don't use it the tolerances will be smaller. From my observation, the only tolerance getting smaller would be the snap ring groove for the fifth gear main and counter shaft groove, the shift rails sitting a little deeper into their respective recesses. All in all there was no adverse effects in using just silicone.

As for the rebuild kit i ordered I don't have any regrets about buying it. The bearings are made by  Nachi i don't know what brand the syncro's were. After the rebuild the trans shifted fine and was A lot more quiet than before my rebuild.

And the LSD made a whole different driving experience. I use torco mtf in my trans.

here's the parts i ordered for reference.

bk238ws from allstate gear

mf-trs-05b16 from M-factory

Torco mtf 4 qts. from my local machine shop.

Edited by eec4tuner, 17 March 2013 - 01:08 PM.

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

well i just bought the same Re-build kit you picked up.

Got my OBX LSD re-built and ready to drop in with polished gears and all new hardware. 

Got my new clutch, now off to get some hondabond and 3 quarts of Honda MTF

The Original CR-Z driver

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip

I would get the runout on the ring gear mounting flange checked out.

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

any idea on how i would go about doing that? sorry i am a Newb on this transmission stuff

The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

my rebuild kit just arrived! i am excited to say it looks complete and is in great shape! Now i got my LSD, Rebuild Kit, and Clutch all ready to go into this motor!

The Original CR-Z driver

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

did you have to use a shim for you limited slip diff?

The Original CR-Z driver

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip

yes. mine was in spec. (.003) so i reused it.

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

i had to order the smallest snap ring for my car.... agrevated lol

The Original CR-Z driver

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip

Hey Jea, How did the trans rebuild go?