55mph Speed Limit

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage
http://www.cnn.com/2...t.ap/index.html

Oh GAWD blink.gif

Discuss...
Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
this isn't japan- our country is a LOT bigger and to slow the transport of goods... I won't even start on that
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
yesterday when i was DMV a man said to me "the troops coming home from war must be glad to be here in our free country"
i feel quite the opposite, i think every day we are less and less free and its very disappointing.i hate government control. it seems everything is illegal!
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

85Beater

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: cars he can pay cash for!
skimmed the article, but I am all for a return to the 55mph speed limit. I dont think it would have that devastating effect on the flow of goods, if anything rail (which is much more economical anyway) will begin to expand. In addition our demand for gas will of course go down, as the difference between 55 and 70 on the highway is pretty murderous on the MPGs.

Then again, I usually cruise 55 whenever possible, and avoid 70mph highways.
1987 CRX DX - Devacced, excellent interior, runs perfect, the fun car.
Note: 1G CRX's are not durable against late model motorcycles...

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Bone stock except for Brembo rotors and upgraded pads

85Beater's Vouch Thread

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
whats next? all automotive racing will be baned and tracks will be closed!?
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

85Beater

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: cars he can pay cash for!
QUOTE (84b18 @ Jul 5 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whats next? all automotive racing will be baned and tracks will be closed!?

Well thats a bit of an extremist viewpoint to take...

The amount of fuel burned auto racing and on tracks is pretty much negligible. The idea is to create an affect in the general population, not in specialty uses of the fuel. I would say SUV's will be banned long before any kind of auto sports ban, neither of which I see happening, ummm, ever.
1987 CRX DX - Devacced, excellent interior, runs perfect, the fun car.
Note: 1G CRX's are not durable against late model motorcycles...

1995 Integra LS Sedan - Bone stock except for Brembo rotors and upgraded pads

85Beater's Vouch Thread

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
please, the amount of fuel to haul around one plane of an NFL team is more than that used in an entire Formula 1 weekend by the cars themselves.

whatever. i do 72mph daily in my 91 EF and can get 38mpg. it's an Si, too. when any automaker starts making a car like my 91 EF, we'll actually start to get "good" gas mileage.

i can't believe "good" gas mileage is like 30mpg!!! wtf?
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

ef91

• 87 stock box
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 black hatch si, 91 red hatch si
    • Image Gallery
my ef use to get somewhere around high 30's then i got the itch and went b series, still does ok on gas... not like the lil d16a6 and that motor burned a quart of

oil every time i filled up...

funny.....

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage
I wont make this some TL;DR deal, but here is the just of it,

at 55mph, I get 350miles to a tank, at 75-80, I get 400mi to a tank with my Mazda 626 right now. The whole 55mph thing is HEAVILY dependent on the vehicle, almost every vehicle I drove at the GM dealership showed a pretty heavy duty drop in MPG displayed when the cruise control was set at 55mph instead of 65-70mph, EVERY CAR except my VW Golf that turned 4,000RPM at 70mph has gotten BETTER mileage over LONG distances when doing speeds above 65mph, this very much includes the CRXs .

55mph doesn't save gas, never will, unless your car is geared crazy stupid low or was built *shock* in the 1960/1970's when this was mandated and is an aerodynamic clusterfuck.
Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
I don't think that mandating a speed limit is the solution. My Subaru gets its best gas milage at 78mph with the AC on. It is an established fact that newer cars are tuned much better and get very good milage at speeds well over 75mph. You might get another mile if you slow it down a little but a National 55MPH speed limit is total BS. The answer is to mandate that the auto makers start actually making efficient cars. 30 MPG is not good gas mileage. Good gas milage is 40+.
1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

d15a3power

I'm no fan of gov't regulation: (BUT....)

55mph proposal is due to the outcry to do something that "fixes" things now. (relatively) Low cost. There was a proposal to fund a study to determine the most efficient speed, but that isn't NOW.

People scream & cry for SOMETHING ( not knowing exactly what) & this is what they get. Rehashed solutions.

55mph would only work if that was the geeneral flow of traffic-- a range of 50 to 80 is too unsafe-- so the law is needed IF this is what people want...

Since stop & go drivng is less efficient, you would think they would work of that--- make lights go longer so there are less stops & ask people to turn their cars off at these now longer stops is an idea but maybe not a solution....

A massive educational campaign on efficient driving tips would be a logical starting point....
May thru November only.
Rust never sleeps.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
How about 200+ mpg? This is what you need:
http://blog.wired.co...-at-high-g.html

Still pricey, but that will change.

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

toxicshit

You guys are fucked.. but hey your gas price is low !! yes i said it... low...

we can drive 75 mph over here .. and i live near the german boarder.. wich means AUTOBAHN biggrin.gif no speed limit biggrin.gif

but we pay 1.65 euro per liter of 95 octane fuel.. thats 9.45 USD per gallon wink.gif try to race with that kind of prices!

Greetings Erwin.

1. EDM 1986 Honda CRX AS - B16A1 engine - OBD1 - Turbo - Stitch welded chassis.
2. EDM 2001 Lexus IS300 3.0 RWD - Daily Drive
cr-x.jpg

ChrisF-dude