B-series 1g/3g With A/c

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Si-R-Spec & 2005 Tacoma
In the last few days, I've been searching this forum, and too many others, but so far, I can't find one piece of documented literature in reference to the concept of having a B-Series Powered 1G/3G With A/C.

I'd like to do a B18 Swap into my 3G, but before I do, I'd like to be absolutely sure it's possible to run an air conditioning unit with this engine, and the only way to know for sure, is to hear from anyone who has already done it successfully, and to what degree of difficulty is required to pull it off. You're the Coolest!

So please, if there is anyone out there enjoying an air conditioned 1G/3G with a B-Series motor, then I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think Brymans old car had A/c and a turbo b-series in it If I'm not mistaken.. Another member here bought it but I have a brain fart right now..

EDIT: E-mans the member....

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (RARECRX @ Mar 28 2009, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Brymans old car had A/c and a turbo b-series in it If I'm not mistaken.. Another member here bought it but I have a brain fart right now..

Yes, bryman's old car had AC and turbo. Not sure if E-man still has it all there.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (RARECRX @ Mar 28 2009, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Screech @ Mar 28 2009, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, bryman's old car had AC and turbo. Not sure if E-man still has it all there.

Thanks for your replies.

Also, if you happen to know of ANY links as to where I may be able to read more about this kind of project, then by all means, do share them with me.

It will be greatly Appreciated!

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I just tried to look at the project pics that was done by rpiracing but it looks like there page is down. I don't know if bryman had and copies of the pictures in his gallery or if those pictures are now lost. Anyway, here is the thread that he announced the project to have AC

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
I still have ULT1GCRX Rene.

I'll be happy to respond to any questions you may have and suggest that you also contact Bryman10 as well.

Elliot
Posted Image

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
So is this question about whether A/C will fit into the B16 swap without modification or what A/C will fit to make it work? I have seen B16 swaps into a Mini that have way less space than a 1G and they get A/C to work just fine. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (Screech @ Mar 28 2009, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just tried to look at the project pics that was done by rpiracing but it looks like there page is down. I don't know if bryman had and copies of the pictures in his gallery or if those pictures are now lost. Anyway, here is the thread that he announced the project to have AC
This is a great post! The link you provided is actually very pertinent to what I've been hoping to read more on.

Red Pepper Members ROCK!!!

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (E-Man @ Mar 28 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have ULT1GCRX Rene.

I'll be happy to respond to any questions you may have and suggest that you also contact Bryman10 as well.

Elliot
I can't thank you enough for your continued assistance in my endeavor to make this happen Elliot. This also goes for Bryman as well.

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (strudel @ Mar 28 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So is this question about whether A/C will fit into the B16 swap without modification or what A/C will fit to make it work? I have seen B16 swaps into a Mini that have way less space than a 1G and they get A/C to work just fine. JS
Your questions are excellent ones indeed!

Yes, I'm interested in knowing if an A/C will fit, but I seem to have just recently come to find the answer to that, thanks to several very helpful members here. Thanks All! Also, to what level of difficulty will I have to undergo, in order to realize this accomplishment. Will I be able to pull off this feat by just using the new Hasport motor mounts, or does it take a bit more massaging as well. Your last question is one of monumental importance, and I most certainly would like to know what compressor should be used, will it be my original, or a new/different one.

I'm hoping to find, and read any, and all articles relating to such a project.

Thanks.

Rene

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
My dear friend. AC will fit. you can play around with anything and even custom an AC it is all up to how good at fabricating you are. My friend has a corvette engine on a cutlass and he has ac heat PS and everything. in order to get his ac to work he created brackets and welded the tips of the compressor lines into the charge lines. as per a belt that will work you can go and guestimate the lenght of the belt and get it at the parts store if it does not fit you can go and change it as many times as you want. I did that with an underdrive pulley belt I needed for an Enduro Racing pulley I bought from japan for my b16 2g crx.

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (Super_Cricket @ Mar 30 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My dear friend. AC will fit. you can play around with anything and even custom an AC it is all up to how good at fabricating you are. My friend has a corvette engine on a cutlass and he has ac heat PS and everything. in order to get his ac to work he created brackets and welded the tips of the compressor lines into the charge lines. as per a belt that will work you can go and guestimate the lenght of the belt and get it at the parts store if it does not fit you can go and change it as many times as you want. I did that with an underdrive pulley belt I needed for an Enduro Racing pulley I bought from japan for my b16 2g crx.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, and suggestions.

I've come to realize everything you said is absolutely true, given an individual has the willpower, and determination to make it happen. As for me, I'll be the first to tell anybody I'm sort of mechanically challenged when it comes to fabricating engine related issues, and as long as any of the work needed to be done is in reason for any number of reputable shops in my area, then I have no problem letting them handle much of the engine swap, and A/C work. As long as they don't want an arm, and a leg, because it's too much work, that is.

Thanks.

wyclefcupcake

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 honda crx si CONVERTIBLE by R. Stramman
    • Image Gallery
hey i did a ton of research on this because i was contemplating this swap
i have a 1gcrx

basically it looks like you would need a 1/2 width radiator
because with a b16a1 it will push where the a/c should go forward (towards the front bumper) like 1 to 2 inches

i think you could possibly keep your stock system, and stock a/c compressor and everything

myself? i installed a 1/2 width radiator. something from a del sol. we had to cut and fabricate the hell out of the front but it was worth it i think. we also moved the a/c condenser (a/c radiator) forward 2 inches and made new brackets. this left plenty of room for the engine and everything (header from the engine, a/c).

for the b16a1 swap i really doubt the stock 1g/3g a/c compressor is going to fit so what you will have to do is do what i think bryman did and just get a flat piece of metal. then drill 4 holes on that, that mount up with the stock part of the holes on the engine. then you will need to drill 4 holes on that piece of metal so you can mount up the a/c compressor to where you want it. then do like someone else said and find a pulley that will fit (you may be able to keep your stock one with its mounting bracket for your ac)

i mean you could prob get a/c without the 1/2 width radiator but it would be really hard. i think mr. d was selling a 1/2 width radiator that would drop right in. you could check that out

anyway look at some of my old posts i went over the differences between the two different types of a/c you can put on your car. one is a sanden and the other is a tc150 i think. or something like that. i had the old style tc150 and i went through 2-3 compressors before i said ok this sucks what the (#$#$(* . then i switched to a sanden and it seemed a lot better.

anyway let me know if i can be of any more help! i have pics in my gallery of my 1/2 width radiator and i also made a post with part #'s and everything of what del sol radiator i got

QUOTE (rinnaye @ Mar 28 2009, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the last few days, I've been searching this forum, and too many others, but so far, I can't find one piece of documented literature in reference to the concept of having a B-Series Powered 1G/3G With A/C.

I'd like to do a B18 Swap into my 3G, but before I do, I'd like to be absolutely sure it's possible to run an air conditioning unit with this engine, and the only way to know for sure, is to hear from anyone who has already done it successfully, and to what degree of difficulty is required to pull it off. You're the Coolest!

So please, if there is anyone out there enjoying an air conditioned 1G/3G with a B-Series motor, then I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/434210 - thats my ride, 1985 honda crx si convertible by R. Stramman.

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
QUOTE (rinnaye @ Mar 29 2009, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a great post! The link you provided is actually very pertinent to what I've been hoping to read more on.

Red Pepper Members ROCK!!!

it's not that hard at all, you just need innovative motor mounts. all other engine mounts i have see use the ac mount hols, but theres use the stalk holes by the water pump.
but if you want to use your d series compressor you need an adapter plate. i believe hassport makes one.
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
Thanks Wyclef,

Boy oh boy, I'm really hoping I don't need that half width radiator in order to complete the swap, my current rad is still fairly new, so that would be a waste of an already good radiator. Same goes for my A/C compressor.