Variable Intermittent Wipers Conversion

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

k24 rd6

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2002 CR-V/1991 Integra/90 Accord/87CRX
I have figured out how to add variable intermittent wipers on all my other Hondas that never came with them so I had to do the CRX
also. Since the CRX is so old, the intermittent function is not a part of the ICU. It is its own self contained relay which actually
makes it quite simple to modify the timing.

Opening up the intermittent relay finds a 56k ohm resistor and a 33 uf cap for timing. This gives around a 5 second intermittent
time. I removed the resistor and wired up a 50k ohm potentiometer and presto I had 0-4 second timing. If I used a 100k, it ranges
from 0 back to stock timing.

So basically by removing a resistor and soldering a couple wires to where the resistor was and running them to a pot gives
Variable speed intermittent wipers. Adjustment ranging from the stock speed of around 5 seconds to 0 seconds.

Stock wiper relay

Wire soldered to where timing resistor used to be

I actually wanted to increase the the time as well as shorten the time. This requires changing the capacitor. The stock capacitor
is a 33uf so I picked up a few different sizes to test with. I started with a 10uf which gave me a a very short max time of about
2-2.5 seconds. Next was a 63uf, it was actually quite good with a max time of around 9 second. and a good range of adjustment.
Finally I tried a 100uf, it gave a super long max time but the short time adjustment was minimal. I decided on the 63uf and soldered it up.

Cap and resistor removed

New cap soldered in

Finished with switch connector

Now I could have simply wired up a pot and been done but that is not me. I need to have it on the wiper stalk like stock. I am in
planning on another mod which requires a 3 contact slip ring which does not attach to the crx combination switch. I decided to
replace the crx combo switch with one from an 88 Integra. It bolts right on and requires remapping of the connectors and
reconnecting the turn signal wires.

With either the crx or Integra combo switch, the stalk angle is very shallow compared to the cars that use airbags. Unfortunately
all the variable wiper stalks come on airbag cars. On other cars that are an in between stalk depth like a 90-93 Integra/accord, I
could just do a little grinding on the actual arm and get pretty close to stock. This was not the case in the crx. I decided to
keep the 88 Integra arm and remove the rear wiper controls from it. I never use the rear wiper and it will be shaved when the car
gets repainted anyway. I placed the potentiometer from an adjustable switch where the rear controls once were.

It is actually fairly simple to swap. The hard part is to get the pin out that holds the end cap on. Once that is off there is an
e clip holding the pot nob and spacer. The pot will be able to slide off and there will be two screws to remove holding the center
section. The stock teg switch is very similar to take apart. I transferred the center section, pot, and knobs from the adjustable
arm to the stock teg arm.

Removing the punch pin

Remove the e clip

Potentiometer knob and potentiometer removed

Potentiometer center section and potentiometer installed on 88 teg arm

Connector for the potentiometer

k24 rd6

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Finished installation

I made a quick video of it in action. I turned the camera sideways but I don't have anything to edit back to normal with. So in other words, warning, it will be sideways.
http://s173.photobuc...nt=MVI_1067.mp4

CODE

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid173.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw47%2FK24RD6%2F87crx%2FMVI_1067.mp4">

silentdork818

• Mr. Sparkuru!
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1988 Civic 4WD Wagon, 1990 Mazda B2200, 2015 Impreza 2.0i
Pretty slick! On my 86 Si the time between sweeps is annoyingly short. Would be nice to be able to lengthen the intervals on demand. smile.gif
Check out my website! http://www.silentdork818.com

yermo2.jpg

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Si-R-Spec & 2005 Tacoma
The incorporation of variable wipers for the fronts, (along with the video) is sweet.

Thanks for sharing.

It is very close to the idea that I've been obsessing over, which is to have an intermittent feature on my hatches' rear window wiper, instead of the constant "go" that's standard on there now. Do you think I may just simply "borrow" some other car's relay circuitry perhaps, and install it somewhere in the electrical path of my car's rear wiper feature?

k24 rd6

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rinnaye @ Jun 1 2011, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The incorporation of variable wipers for the fronts, (along with the video) is sweet.

Thanks for sharing.

It is very close to the idea that I've been obsessing over, which is to have an intermittent feature on my hatches' rear window wiper, instead of the constant "go" that's standard on there now. Do you think I may just simply "borrow" some other car's relay circuitry perhaps, and install it somewhere in the electrical path of my car's rear wiper feature?

You can use another mitsuba 2206 relay that the front uses. The ground for the motor would go through the relay bypassing the on/off switch. Rewire the on/off switch to 12v to power the relay. Remove the resistor from the relay and wire up a 100k ohm pot. About 2 hrs work. If you got both connector sides for the wiper switch you could make a 't' harness that connects the relay. All the wires you need are at the switch.

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (k24 rd6 @ Jun 1 2011, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can use another mitsuba 2206 relay that the front uses. The ground for the motor would go through the relay bypassing the on/off switch. Rewire the on/off switch to 12v to power the relay. Remove the resistor from the relay and wire up a 100k ohm pot. About 2 hrs work. If you got both connector sides for the wiper switch you could make a 't' harness that connects the relay. All the wires you need are at the switch.

Info is much appreciated, but will the use of the front 2206 relay have the pause feature automatically built into that relay's function, thus saving me from having to swap to a more complex switch, or should I use a designated rear wiper relay for that. I want a rear wiper that sweeps for several minutes in duration, but then automatically goes to intermittent after that, within the OEM switch.

k24 rd6

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rinnaye @ Jun 1 2011, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Much appreciated, but will the use of the 2206 front relay have the pause feature automatically built into that relay's function, thus saving me from having to swap to a more complex switch, or should I use a designated rear wiper relay for that. I want a rear wiper that sweeps for several minutes in duration, but then automatically goes to intermittent after that, within the OEM switch.

the 2206 has about a 5 sec pause. I don't how you would get a wiper to sweep for several minutes and then go to intermittent

rinnaye

• 3G'ist
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (k24 rd6 @ Jun 1 2011, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the 2206 has about a 5 sec pause. I don't how you would get a wiper to sweep for several minutes and then go to intermittent

I can live with a 5 second pause feature only too.

I once drove a Hyundai SUV that had a rear wiper that swept consecutively for several minutes before going to intermittent. That's where the idea came from, but still, it's not a necessity.

Just For Clarification: The new relay will go where exactly?

Thanks For The Advice.

Rene

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (k24 rd6 @ Jun 2 2011, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only note I'd add about adding a delay to the rear wiper is based on how the rear washer works, I would consider adding a timer bypass relay if you have power going to the washer pump for the rear, with maybe a 2-3 second delay after the washer pump losses power before restoring the use of the timed relay.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

k24 rd6

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I can see adding a relay to ground the motor while the washer is on to bypass the intermittent. A trailing edge timer could delay the relay to keep the motor going for a short time after the washer stops.

A leading edge timer could be used to run the motor continually for a specified time when the wiper is first switched on before switching over to intermittent.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Good work on this project. The early 73-74 civics had a mod that could be bought that plugged into the existing wiring for intermittent use. It had a knob that had to be installed in the facia somewhere but worked very well. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

calicoupe

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Go EF Yourself!
Mr. P - has my vouch! one of the best guys in business.....doing any electrical modifications, alarms, stereo and trouble shooting.

One problem...he is a bit far for me to hang out everyday!

DO NOT PM. PLEASE EMAIL ME.

Email = tor.parts at gmail dot com