14X6-15X7 Light Weight Wheels

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si

What quality light weight wheels are available in these sizes and where can I find them? The Kosei are  9 lbs. but just looks odd on a CRX to me

I like  the Buddy P1 Racing SF THM offers but they're 13 lbs. And on the street, this genuinely probably will not matter so they are a contender at $133

I have been out of this sport for too long, a lot has changed. Where are the good places for quality performing wheels, not the inexpensive "stylish" models. 

This build is long term for me, and my forever baby that hopefully I can leave to my children, so I do not mind investing in quality. But I do want something that at the very least looks somewhat correct on a Gen 1. 

It's hard to dodge all the "voodoo" science floating on the internet, I see it with every vehicle type and model I've owned when frequenting the related boards. 

Grass Roots had a good article covering just this a while back I have determined from bits and pieces of threads I have uncovered on the net, never read the actual article. 

Anyone care to share some if you did read it?

Edited by oblivionnewtonjohn, 12 July 2014 - 03:42 AM.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery

I read it, and I didn't agree with their assumption either. It was a couple of years ago but essentially I remember them saying that a lighter wheel/tire combination wouldn't make that much difference in overall lap times over one that was heavier. I was also discussing this with another racer at the track shortly after it came out (he had read it too) and he came to the same conclusion I had.

Mind you, I believe they were using noticeably larger diameter wheels (17" I think) than what a lot of us would run so 'maybe' that would have more of an impact on their results than a smaller 13"-15" wheel/tire combo would have.

Still not buying it though, which is why I recently went from 15" to 14" on my street CRX. Saved almost 5lbs per corner going from 195/50x15 to 195/60x14. The difference in wheel weight was about 3lbs ea.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
Everyone will have a different viewpoint of wheels. Many people don't like the look of the dealer option Mugen CF-48's though I can't recall if the 14" version was JDM and the 15" available in the US or vice versa. The problem is getting the set complete which includes the badges, center caps and aero disks. Price will become a factor depending on condition and completeness as you are dealing with items that are almost 30 years old now.

Rota makes relatively cheap knock-offs whereby you can get that period look in a new rim for a reasonable price. The rim should be reasonably light weight as well and replacements available should you happen to damage one.

It really comes down to the look you want, cost willing to spend original/copy and of course availability. If you go the new route it would be prudent to purchase an extra rim or two as a backup given your longer term outlook for the car and unknown availability of the rim down the road.

Personally I have too many sets for my cars and have tried to sell my lightweight racing harts on the autox forum. Many offers but they aren't up to the price I'd sell them for. Can't blame people for looking for a bargain....

Hope this helps.

Elliot
Posted Image

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si

Good feedback guys, I agree with a lot said above. Cars like our are a luxury, but guys like us make it a priority.  ;)

It's very hard to balance that fine line, I do not see many affluent people chasing classic Japanese, at least what the States got. 

"Those" people are after the Lotus, Porsche, GT40 etc. I like to think if I were suddenly well off, I would go on a spree saving what I can.

Pricey, but these will most importantly do, and look the part. In my opinion, timeless styling and being Made in Japan adds icing to the cake.

http://www.evasivemo...2AqPRoCdxTw_wcB

Edited by oblivionnewtonjohn, 12 July 2014 - 02:49 PM.

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
I've been looking into ways to import old Japanese wheels to the states, either from Japan, or parts of Europe. Sometimes you can import them yourself for cheaper than the already imported ones are selling for.
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage
949 racing makes 13 lb wheels. Extremely well built from what I have heard and they have a good name. Anyways they make 15x8 wheels but they are coming out with 10lb wheels in 15x7.5 and 15x7. They might even be 9lbs a wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk