Back In The Game With An 86' Si. What Mods For Street?

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
Glad to be back in the community though I am new to RPR, thank you for the add, great site y'all have. I recenty acquired a nice unmolested 86' Si with 268K.
I previously owned an 84', 87', 89' si and 90' si that was extensively modified back in 96'. I am older at 36, a bit more tame and looking to do a light EDM/JDM restoration with an emphasis on handling and the ability to do some spirited driving on the Tennessee hills and curvy backroads with it being a daily commuter. 

On my 90' I had ST suspension,ATk reman engine, Centerforce clutch, Trust catback, DC header/intake, 18' Enkei Zenki w/Nitto 450's, Wingswest body. I want to source the highest quality components available, I prefer not to run knock off/Ebay junk. Just a personal preference. What all is available besides what NOPI, heeltoe offer?  

I will assess the condition of the motor, seems the PO has taken care of it the past 5 years and is a middle aged gentleman so that's promising. 

Eventually I would like to replace with a 1.6 JDM once I locate one. Best source?

Heeltoe seems to offer quite a bit, awesome resource to the community. 

Once I have determined the current state of the engine I would like to start with:

1. Suspension- are the Tein coilovers from heeltoe overkill for a daily street driver? Are there good springs available, which shocks would work well for street?
   ST sway front/back, Cusco front/rear strut, Medieval torsion bar setup

2. Keeping the stock rims, I like the Toyo RA1's, a good choice? 

3. HKS filter-70019-BH008, what exhaust would you recommend to give performance but remain somewhat mellow in tone? Willing to compromise. Seems catback are NLA, so I will need to have it custom fabricated. I can tag it antique so no emissions. 

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Heeltoe sells lots of my parts, but not all of them. Www.cheddasauto.com

I recommend Teins, 27mm bars, caster camber plates ect. Bushings are always a good upgrade, especially on a old car like ours: front and rear strut, shifter, torsion, trailing arm, control arm.

My locking plate will remove the old internal sway bar, freeing up some weight and effectively turning the whole rear axle into its own sway bar.

Once lowered you will need a phb from me or heeltoe to recenter the axle.

Exhaust, 2", 2.25" max unless turbo. No cat needed with obd0 unless in California. Headers are non existant any more for the 1.5, the 1.6 any d series one works. Magnaflow resonator, dual in single out exhaust. Check out my post in the general section for tonnes of how tos under cheddas h22 civic.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2003 Jaguar S-Type R

Tein is good, but there is a 5-7 month delay.  Next best is Koni yellows if you can find a set.  I'd upgrade the shifter bushings first, as it makes a huge improvement.  

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

Great feedback gents. I had my eyes on your Chedda products, very nice products. 

The Tein from heeltoe are on back order? I guess I can focus on the other stuff for now, collecting needed parts.

Besides here, who's the best source for JDM/EDM body/interior? I like OG Wagon's EDM gauge unit. 

The goal is clean and efficient. It will stay NA, bound to be night & day from my Fiero. 

I just sold my 71' R5 cafe racer, plan to build another 2 stroke for my speed kicks. Just happy to find this one un-butchered and look forward to just cruising & enjoying the curves. 

Chedda, do you have a part# for the Magnaflow unit that fits well? 

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Good luck finding stuff for the 1st gens.  Keep your eyes peeled on this site or ebay for any rare parts.  I suck at searching this site for threads but there was one on here that listed all the vendors that have parts for the 1st gens.  And 36 isn't too old, Im 35 and just bought an 87 CRX Si :)

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

Good luck finding stuff for the 1st gens.  Keep your eyes peeled on this site or ebay for any rare parts.  I suck at searching this site for threads but there was one on here that listed all the vendors that have parts for the 1st gens.  And 36 isn't too old, Im 35 and just bought an 87 CRX Si :)

In my younger days I kept finding myself in the lock up for unpaid tickets.  :D

I hung those boots up long ago. The glove box is nice and clean these days. 

But what I meant is I'd like to keep the car mild for drivability, get my speed on the bikes though I am moving to offroad, too many people getting killed by cages. 

Here's my recent build:

5m5th3p.jpg

Edited by oblivionnewtonjohn, 09 July 2014 - 12:52 PM.

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Love it! I keep thinking about getting back into bikes but I dunno.  I just buy fast cars now.

1964779_10153976221185331_1331330597_n.j

10174837_10152409822261522_1610551066195

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

Very nice sled. I can't afford the fast cars I want, crazy how much in value the cars I could have had, increased. Just unreal 

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

I also forgot to mention I am garage based, so no lift and welder yet. So I'd like a direct drop in JDM if possible, what should I be searching for?

Are there sources in Japan for 1st Gen parts? Any shops similar to Chedda etc doing one offs or boutique? I built some relationships building bikes, I can have items shipped at cost. 

I also may get another tax ID, worked well on the 90' buying things at wholesale. Of course 2nd Gen parts were/are plentiful. So maybe not worthwhile in this case. 

I also want to keep it close to stock as the cars are getting rarer untouched. I love and admire big builds, but I need to keep cost down and leave the door open for a potential larger return on my investment down the road if the current market is any indication. 

Edited by oblivionnewtonjohn, 09 July 2014 - 01:50 PM.

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Also, look for a D16A1 swap.  I bought a car with one and I think it is the best mod out there for the first gens

Hey just noticed you are in TN.  Im up in Bowling Green KY currently.  

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

I also forgot to mention I am garage based, so no lift and welder yet. So I'd like a direct drop in JDM if possible, what should I be searching for?

Are there sources in Japan for 1st Gen parts? Any shops similar to Chedda etc doing one offs or boutique? I built some relationships building bikes, I can have items shipped at cost. 

I also may get another tax ID, worked well on the 90' buying things at wholesale. Of course 2nd Gen parts were/are plentiful. So maybe not worthwhile in this case. 

I also want to keep it close to stock as the cars are getting rarer untouched. I love and admire big builds, but I need to keep cost down and leave the door open for a potential larger return on my investment down the road if the current market is any indication. 

Also, look for a D16A1 swap.  I bought a car with one and I think it is the best mod out there for the first gens

Hey just noticed you are in TN.  Im up in Bowling Green KY currently.  

Pretty straightforward drop in with minimal fabrication? I'll research it

My Fiero came from Cub Run 

Edited by oblivionnewtonjohn, 09 July 2014 - 03:35 PM.

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

What about the ZC swap? What is the exact part number for the 130hp

Wikipedia, the liar it can be at times, said the/a ZC JDM had 140? 

Just trying to get accurate info, not forum (not this one specifically)  hearsay 

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

ZC is a better motor, but harder to find these days.  

3rd gen sinner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 15 Kia Sorento, 86 Civic
    Garage View Garage
I found my Browntop ZC 130hp on craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
The teins are not on back order, they have like 15 sets in stock.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719