Carb Choke Adjustment

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

Red1908

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 Civic Sedan 1.5 EW1 engine
Does anyone know where to adjust the choke plate on a EW1 carb? I noticed that when its completely cold the choke plate stays open a little bit, it supposed to be closed all the way down, isn't it? Thanks btw, hard to start when cold.2701f954b5409b52e529ca7a8cebd345.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk

Back in the day we had cold start issues with alot of carb cars... but one thing on the Civic was the choke plate not closing all the way. The problem was the the gasket in the choke heater shrinking and not letting the blade close. 

The choke heater is on the left/rear side of your pic. (It's black and has wires coming out of the bottom, can't see the wires on the pic)  The heater is secured on the heater housing by three pop rivets. You'll have to drill the rivets out to replace the gasket. Before you drill the rivets out mark the the position of the heater and plate to the housing. I just used a awl or some type of pointed tool. The heater is plastic and the housing is soft aluminum so there easy to mark. You can drill them out on the car.... just gotta move some of those vacuum lines around. 

The gaskets and rivets came as a kit from Honda way back. I think there long gone now. But I'll see if I can get the part # for ya......

I think I still have a few laying around the shop. I'll check tomorrow when I get into the shop...

Good luck... Mark

Red1908

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks alot Mark I appreciate that and I will see what I can do about it

shuttlecraft

• Shuttlecraft
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 wagon fwd

No, especially during summer months.  "stays open a little bit" is normal.  Looking at the pic, it appears that someone has already drilled out the rivets and replace with screws.  That is an ok mode, and gives you the option to make adjustments but an issue with improper grounding can occur.  Grounding is one reason Honda used rivets and the other was to prevent tampering with the choke system.  I too have the rivets drilled out, tapped the holes and backed up the metric screws with nuts and washers.  I also ran a short grounding wire from the bottom screw down to one of the nuts that secure the air chamber.

Red1908

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

No, especially during summer months.  "stays open a little bit" is normal.  Looking at the pic, it appears that someone has already drilled out the rivets and replace with screws.  That is an ok mode, and gives you the option to make adjustments but an issue with improper grounding can occur.  Grounding is one reason Honda used rivets and the other was to prevent tampering with the choke system.  I too have the rivets drilled out, tapped the holes and backed up the metric screws with nuts and washers.  I also ran a short grounding wire from the bottom screw down to one of the nuts that secure the air chamber.

Thats whats up! Right now its super hot here in CA and I thought that wasn't normal as the manual says it supposed to be closed completely well that was my concern and I appreciate that reply, I will double check everything and take it to smog check see what happens. Car it's idling good, gonna put fresh gas and a quick wash and fingers crossed to be back on road soon thank you !! All of you

Red1908

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
This is my 84 sedanfdbbbc41f3b5332574091a699ea826cd.jpg

1956fedor

• Granny
  • Pip
The only way to really fix!70e89f0d89b9989f4c32780cb9a9021f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

shuttlecraft

• Shuttlecraft
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 wagon fwd

Oh yeah, that'll fix it alright, and make the auxiliary carburetion, which is the supply side of the CVCC system, completely obsolete!  Will it run with a Webber, indeed, but you'll never match the performance (hp), economy and efficiency that this engine was originally designed to produce.  If you live in a DEQ state, forget about it.

Red1908

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

The only way to really fix!70e89f0d89b9989f4c32780cb9a9021f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I live in California which I need to go for emissions test every year, that will be impossible for me need to keep it stock lol

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk

OK...

sorry it's taken me so long too gt back to ya. I found 1 choke gasket and a bunch of rivets. If you want me to send them to you let me know. Also shuttlecraft might be right... it's hard too tell in the pic but if the rivets have already been drilled out and screws put in you can just pull the housing off. 

One thing I forgot to mention is how to tell if the choke gasket is the problem... what you want too do is, move the choke blade and if you can feel any binding during the travel it's the gasket holding it up. I would just use a little pocket screw driver to move the blade. If the choke blade binds or gets stuck it's the gasket holding it up.

Just some info on this.... when you set the choke with the gas pedal the blade WILL close all the way, but as soon as the car is started it will pull off..... and that's where the choke pull-off comes into play and the choke heater and thermo valves. 

Off subject... I have a pair of OEM E-brake cables for that Civic laying around the shop. These are not cheap aftermarket cables. There made by the company that made them for Honda. I've been meaning to post them here. I don't see those cars in my shop any more. I'm in the rust belt. 

Again good luck let me know if you want the gaskets and rivets or are interested in the E-brake cables. Shoot me a P.M. or I have a link to my website in my profile  and you can send me a e-mail through it.

Mark.

Edited by millcreek, 09 September 2017 - 02:18 PM.