• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

Andrew_as

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 Civic DX Hatch
    Garage View Garage
So I'm trying to check my transmission fluid in my 3g hatch. I noticed it was a screw in style dipstick and I'm not use to that. I looked in the Haynes book to see exactly how it is done and couldn't find anything. Looked on the net and found these:
An automatic transmission has a screw-in type dipstick under the battery and its a real pain to get to. First, locate it and clean it and the surrounding area off any dirt so that it doesn't get into the trans when you're ready to check the trans fluid level. Run the engine at idle, select each gear position pausing for several seconds in each detent, then shut off the motor once you get back to park. Wriggle your arm down to the dipstick, unscrew it, wipe it off and put it back into the trans but DO NOT SCREW IT BACK IN. Remove it and look at the fluid level. The fluid should be in the "cross hatched" area on the dipstick. You're going to need a funnel with a long tube on it to add any fluid. DON'T OVERFILL IT.

I've always checked transmission fluid with car on and in neutral, these instructions are completely backward of what I'm use to. Can anyone verify this to be correct? Sorry for such a silly, simple question :/

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk
Yes you check a Honda/Acura auto trans car off. The old Honda's have the screw in dip stick. The newer cars just have a stick.......like a eng oli dip-stick......
but the engine is off.