Wagons Rock

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

Wagovan

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1991 Honda Civic Wagovan
Just putting a shout out to all the Wagovan owners out there.....
Curious if they made a wagovan 5 spd? and if a Si swap is possible?
My first Honda heh...Nice to see there is another Wagovan person in BC..
I may have to snipe the Title of "Best Wagovan In BC" ph34r.gif

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (Wagovan @ Jan 10 2005, 04:33 AM)
Just putting a shout out to all the Wagovan owners out there.....
Curious if they made a wagovan 5 spd? and if a Si swap is possible?
My first Honda heh...Nice to see there is another Wagovan person in BC..
I may have to snipe the Title of "Best Wagovan In BC"  ph34r.gif

Yes, the Wagovans came in 5-speed; 6-speed for the 4WD, if you count the SuperLow gear.

Si swap could be done, though the early Integra engine bolts right up to the 4WD tranny in the '85-'87. Carb to fuel injection would be the hardest part.

For the 4th gen wagons, the 4WD model came with the engine used in the Si.

I have an '85 Wagon 4WD that we bought for my wife in '90 or so.

Keith, who doesn't know much about slushbox Hondas...

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Can you take out the driveshafts on the fwd and make all the power go to the back on wagovans?
I have nothing...

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (lemons @ Jan 10 2005, 08:12 AM)
Can you take out the driveshafts on the fwd and make all the power go to the back on wagovans?

no.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You say you have a 91 wagovan... thats 2nd gen and it would already be fuel injected... the Si is a 1.6 with MPFI, which the AWD wagovans had... the swap is do-able, quite easy, in fact.

This board is actually 84-87 Hondas, but there are a few people into 88-91's too, like TJ for example.

Doesn't mean we won't include you, welcome aboard!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

bad@ssracer

is it possible for me to make my 87crx si awd if i had a donor wagon that was awd??
The Race Is Short , But The Victory Is Sweet

user posted image
^^definate hottie^^

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

Kain

• From Ashy to Classy
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
possible? possibly.... worth the effort? no. the AWD in the wagons only transfers 10% of the power to the back IIRC.
Ay!
Ay, dog, ay!
You stepped on my sneaker meng!

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Anything is possible.

Kain is right, the AWD system only transfers 10% of power to the rear wheels, its not worth the effort.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

sdubfid

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Wagovan
It is possible and fairly easy to convert your wagovan to an si if its a 91. I think you would need, intake manifold(and everything on it), distributor, ecu, d16a6 cam would also help and some wiring.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
WTF?!?!?!?! the 4g wagovans had d15a3's???????????????????????????????????? Why havnt I heard this...just when I though I had it figured out, you came and messed it all up.

explain yourself mister.

--zak--
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Relax zakats smile.gif

The 2nd gen wagon (4th gen civic style) came with either a dual point 1.5 or a multi-point 1.6, and the Si swap would be changing to the multi-point system.

No, they didn't come with D15A3's.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
ooooh thankyou i was losing it there for a bit.
--zak--
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

davens

• Zeno Wagon
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civ Wagon(Carb'd ZC 4wd), 89 CRX Si, & 02 Protege
Well, if you really want to bake your noodle...Honda continued making the same bodystyle wagon(aka Shuttle) in Japan until 1996 and the intro of the CRV.

I have an 87 w/ RT4wd. I've recently started driving it again after being off the road for 18 months. Been tearing it up in a quarry after hours...lots of fun.
I'd llike to see some honda credible literature that supports the 10% power to the rear. I get the impression that was someones guess that has morphed into an internet false truth over the years.
Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Wagovan

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1991 Honda Civic Wagovan
So what would be the easiest/best motor Upgrade? i would like to do one before summer and I really dont want to mess around too much with motor mounts and...well you get the picture..I would also like to convert it to standard...Automatic is driving me nuts

Edited by Wagovan, 11 January 2005 - 05:48 AM.

davens

• Zeno Wagon
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civ Wagon(Carb'd ZC 4wd), 89 CRX Si, & 02 Protege
QUOTE (Wagovan @ Jan 11 2005, 05:46 AM)
So what would be the easiest/best motor Upgrade? i would like to do one before summer and I really dont want to mess around too much with motor mounts and...well you get the picture..I would also like to convert it to standard...Automatic is driving me nuts

(1) You really are in the wrong place. This forum is dedicated to 84-87 models. Some choice places for 88-91 information:
http://www.hondacivicwagon.com/ and http://autos.groups....ndacivicwagons/...dedicated wagon boards. One of them appears down at the moment.
http://www.d-series.org/...all d-motors, all the time
http://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=3...good search tool/archives
http://crx.honda-perf.org/forums/...CRX performance(good engine/suspension info)
Not that you won't get help here, but it's like standing in the post office and asking about UPS pickups.

(2) You never said if you had 4wd or 2wd. The 2wd are DPFI, 4wd are MPFI.
To get any real performance the DPFI needs to be converted to MPFI. Here's a good MPFI conversion article: http://www.fourthgen...h.com/mpfi.html. THis swap alone will give you 8-10 hp.
You have several choices for engines, it really all depends on how much you want to spend. Look at dohc zc, sohc zc, d16z6 or d16y8.

(3) As far as the automatic transmission...I've read several times about someone doing the conversion and their summation was "it's nice but not worth the work. It probably would be smarter to sell the auto and buy a model that came equipped with a manual". I thought that was horseshit.
Then my buddy did an auto CRX DX conversion. He did the auto-to-manual conversion and MPFI all at once. Not to scare you, but he's done 1/2 dozen MPFI conversions and double that in engine swaps...and he had a hard time making it all work. Easily put in 30 man hours. Just watching was painful.
And he had a whole donor car to canibalize from...trying to source it all by pieces probably would have broke the project.
Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!