Different B16's

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

TribalHatch

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CiviC SI
so yeah this might sound dumb but my questions is that what is really down right differnt between the B16's from US, Japan, and Euro.

Ive hurd that the euro B16 has more power then all then the B16 from japan and then US.

Is this True?

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Theres a B16A, B16A1, B16A2, B16A3, B16A4 and a B16B.

The A is the JDM 88-91 CRX SiR motor, the A1 is the EDM 88-91 CRX SiR motor im pretty sure, the A2 is the 99-00 Civic Si motor, and the A3 and A4's were from the 92-95 cars, one is the USDM Del Sol Vtec and the other is the EDM/JDM 92-95 SiRII Motor. All of the B16A's make about 160hp and whatever 112tq. The JDM and EDM models have a slight bump in compression and therefor have a small bit more power, sometimes there was a Cat and Catless model in Europe the Catless usualy made a tiny bit more HP as well.

The B16B is a totaly different animal, it came in the 96-98 SiR and 99-00 Civic Type R's. Its 180hp and whatever torque. It basicly is a B18C-Type R motor thats destroked. While the B16A motors are not.
Posted Image

censurebush

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '85 crx hf, eg8+9
werd^^

icebox187

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
well, my take on the b16b is this, both the b16b and the b18c5(type r) model engines are using a worked up version of the b16a head with higher lift and duration on the cams. many people believe the type r heads were cast with the same margin of error as the earlier b16 heads, whereas the later b16 heads arent looked upon quite as highly in alot of peoples opinions due to less meticulous casting technics (see www.theoldone.com and read their "next big deal for hondas" topic)
some have said that some b16 blocks were fitted with squirters as used on the b18c models, and i am unsure if any b16's used the girdle like the b18c's to strengthen the main caps support of the crank, but these girdles can be retrofitted with b18c main caps and oil pump
all the b16 blocks share the same casting and sleeves. i imagine there is a difference between the b16b and other b16's in the lines of rods and pistons, kinda like the itr/gsr differences... tired of typing....ill chime in more later
grimms mom

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Actualy the old tales of the ITR and B16 Heads being the same is false, infact its more similar to the GSR head. But the Type R heads have alot of work done to them stock along with alot of Honda voodoo. The B16A and B16B are nothing alike. The B16B is taller overall just like the B18's. You are correct that the B16A's dont have the Main Girdle, only the GSR and Type R's have that. As far as i know all Vtec motors have the piston oil squirters. And all Bseries Oil pumps are the same after 92.
Posted Image

TribalHatch

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CiviC SI
wow thanks guys. jus wanted to make sure where my jdm b16 was. but wow thanks for the info