Phantom Grip Limited Slip

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Has anyone ever used these? I have found them for the 84-87 civic / crx for $259 brand new...........however I have heard mixed reviews. Now, OPM offers one for $650, which for that money......I hope it would be top notch.
SportInjectedClub

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
ask doodson.. he can hook you up with one for cheap. not sure if its phantom grip tho but its a LSD none the less..
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

thumpu77

• 2nd gen guy
  • PipPip
QUOTE (eastsiderider @ Jun 10 2004, 10:25 PM)
Has anyone ever used these?  I have found them for the 84-87 civic / crx for $259 brand new...........however I have heard mixed reviews.  Now, OPM offers one for $650, which for that money......I hope it would be top notch.

I have a Phantom Slip... er, I mean Grip on my 88 right now. Complete waste of money!!! it makes no difference whatsoever!! the OPMs work, but wear out your diff over time. I'm not sure if they make them for the 84-87, but if they do, go for a Quaffe.
user posted image

Simple87Si

is there an LSD made for the D16A1/ZC besides the mugen 2way one?
user posted image

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
housman has access to a quaife unit for the cg tranny for the 86-89 integra(from his blackbox tranny he sells, like the one david stadulis had for sale on the improved touring board a few months back). if he has one in stock is another question. typically quaife wants an order of 25 units to do a production run. every time i have tried to get one he has been out of stock and did not have enough interest to get to 25 units. in the last conversation i had with housman he said the later 90 up teg quaife way fit with some mods but did not elaborate any further. does anybody have a stock 90 up integra diff they can measure?

btw, Cusco used to have a diff for the cg tranny but like everything else they were hard to find years ago. unless Mr. D can pull some kind of miracle.

Simple87Si

do you think either of these mugen LSD's would work?.. im not sure what tranny the ZC from these use..

Limited-Slip Differential CRX 1988-1991 ZC 2-Way [41000-XE5-K0G0] $ 1,020.00
Limited-Slip Differential Civic 1988-1991 ZC 2-Way [41000-XE9-K0G0] $ 1,020.00

very expensive though.. dry.gif
user posted image

sspcivic31

• PipPipPipPip
i believe both of those are for the l3 style 88 up zc tranny. and i dont know if the inner splines for the inner cv joints are the same or not. maybee we could get greg gauper to go measure one for us. he's buddies with the king motorsports guys. my guess is that they dont have one in stock or its just like the us l3 style diff which you can get from quaife for less than $900.

Simple87Si

QUOTE (sspcivic31 @ Jun 11 2004, 09:47 AM)
i believe both of those are for the l3 style 88 up zc tranny. and i dont know if the inner splines for the inner cv joints are the same or not. maybee we could get greg gauper to go measure one for us. he's buddies with the king motorsports guys. my guess is that they dont have one in stock or its just like the us l3 style diff which you can get from quaife for less than $900.

sspcivic31: i was thinking that.. maybe we'll get lucky and the inner splines do meet up.. that would open up a lot of options.. really dont think the phantom grip box is worth it..

greg gauper: as sspcivic31 said.. can you look into this for us?.. biggrin.gif
user posted image

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The limited slip I have are the Phantom Grip style but they have the upgaded GOLD spring sets which are a must with these units.

I only have 1 left and its $200 plus 20 shipping to you

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
I asked Scott @ King about an LSD for my car last year when I started to convert from Improved Touring class w/ DOT tires to Production class w/racing slicks. There really isn't anything (of decent quality) available for these cars except for the older Mugen LSD which is no longer available. A group buy of 25 or more would be required for a Quaiff. My class rules only allow me to run with the stock gearbox, but the internals are free. There aren't a lot of options for the stock box. Wish I had bought a Mugen LSD when they came out in the late 80's sad.gif . I'll probably see Scott at the June Sprints next week and I'll ask again. Should have checked the board yesterday since I was at King picking up my new race motor cool.gif and I could have asked then.

I know several racers who go with the down & dirty locked diff. This isn't to bad on a low HP ITC car but does require a different driving style. Quite a few VW racers use this set up as well. Totally unsuitable for street use!!!

I have heard mixed results on the Phantom Grip.....okay for low HP ITC car, but it does wear things out. The OPM LSD is supposed to be a much improved version of the Phantom Grip. I'm surprised that it wore out Thump's diff since it is supposedly designed to not wear out the diff like the PG does.

Not sure what fellow racer Jay has in his CRX. Houseman?? cool.gif

FWIW, I still run an open diff on my car.
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

Simple87Si

QUOTE (Doodson @ Jun 11 2004, 12:29 PM)
The limited slip I have are the Phantom Grip style but they have the upgaded GOLD spring sets which are a must with these units.

I only have 1 left and its $200 plus 20 shipping to you

what does the upgraded gold spring set add to the phantom grip unit? will it still kill the diffs?
user posted image

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
I ran a phantom grip in my car in '02 and part of '03 with pretty good results. I never noticed any inside tire slippage to speak of at any rate. Of course, this was my track only car run on slicks as Greg mentioned. I have looked at the inside of the differential that has the PG in it after a year plus of racing and saw no appreciable wear to speak of. I know there is some because you can see where it rides on the spider gears. But it really didn't look as bad as I thought it would.

I bought my Houseman gearbox from Kirk last year, which included a Mugen LSD, with fresh clutches courtesy of Jamie Houseman biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif ! I did notice a difference over the PG with this setup. Just much better grip all around.

I was at King picking up my new race motor

OOOOOOOO --- COOL! smile.gif It's about time too! Just in time for the Sprints biggrin.gif Think you'll be able to draft one of them 510 freight trains from Colorado now?

Jay

Edited by jsgprod, 11 June 2004 - 03:17 PM.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Masta

So how much are the Quaife units. I know 25 is a lofty number, but what is the pricing per unit? Just curious as this is the main reason I'm tentative about modding my stock Si motor. Tom(rpr) went to an extreme with his LSD trans, and I just can't bear to do that again(S20 Hydro to cable conversion). I had a PG but sold it before I even tried it due to very conflicting opinions, and the fact that I WAS going to go B16( so I could get LSD) but I love the stock motor, but man do I fry my inside tire(autoX) and that with a stock motor with only an 8 lb flywheel as a mod. Is the quaife that cost prohibitive?

D.
Civic Nation. Represent.

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Jun 11 2004, 03:13 PM)
I was at King picking up my new race motor

OOOOOOOO --- COOL! smile.gif It's about time too! Just in time for the Sprints biggrin.gif Think you'll be able to draft one of them 510 freight trains from Colorado now?

No, but there are a couple of VW's that I have my sights on. Another former IT racer (Bob Kelly) has converted and has entered. Bob was always fast in his Scirroco in ITB.

BTW - Bob runs a locked diff BTW, so technically this isn't a thread hijack tongue.gif
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

sspcivic31

• PipPipPipPip
greg,
the diff we are interested in fits the 86-89 integra gearbox.

masta,
the quaife from houseman was about $1500 us.
im guessing thats about 1200 a piece cost.