• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (sspcivic31 @ Jan 19 2004, 11:50 AM)
apparently reading wasnt your strong point(thank god it was math/physics) wink.gif  because the original poster said this:
Everyone seems obsessed with low gearing for acceleration, but I want top
end speed. The built 87 D16A1 I've got has more than enough torque for it.

now based on what he said what do you think?

by going with a taller final drive you will actually REDUCE your top speed.
a 3.88 final drive is a big increase in top speed potential.

well at least your coming around now. biggrin.gif

he never said how much torque he was making (its power that determins top speed, not torque).

he'd need substantial power gains to warant that kind of final drive change

like turbocharging substantial.

if he is making more power in n/a form, well then part of that equation is higher revs, which will only raise his top speed with the same tranny.

i said a long time ago that he better have forced induction if he wants the 3.88 final drive.

where do you get this "coming around" stuff?

my PRIMARY point is that chasing down a higher top speed HAS NO POINT. its not worth the effort of chasing it down for the SMALL amount of time you use it.

I am trying to help the guy out by helping his spend his money elsewhere where it will have more benefit. chasing down a final drive is one of those "way beyond the point of diminishing returns" things unless you are hardcore.

believe me. i was toying with the idea of SHORTENING the final drive of mine, when i said screw it, not worth the effort.

here is another point of contention.

do you know what that "H" rating on tires means.
that represents the speed that the car can go for TEN minutes before the tire overheats and disintegrates. if he plans on utilizing this top speed and sustaining it, i hope he plans on at LEAST V-rated tires, too, preferably W.

Edited by shadowboy, 19 January 2004 - 11:57 AM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
im going to put this to you in the simplest terms i can.
the guy wants more top end. he thinks he has what it takes(no matter what its from) to do it. if he switches from a 4.214 f/d to a 3.88 f/d it will increase his top end potential even if it is redline limited to 7000 rpm.