Who here has done an engine swap?

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

nivek2002

QUOTE (bigk3000 @ Apr 8 2004, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (celerity @ Apr 8 2004, 12:57 PM)
RWD Toyotas are made for swapping.

i say any RWD car is made for swapping.. in 94 when i was about 8 or 9, me and my dad picked up a 1982 RX7 with a blown rotary for 500bucks. We got a 3.8 litre buick regal motor from the wrecker and fabbed some mounts and dropped her in. That thing flies
It was driven by my dad for about 3 years then sat in my yard up till about a year ago when i started it up. It may possibly need a head gasket or other things, but i plan on getting it runnign after im finished my d16a1 swap.

Click here for RX7 pics

AWESOME I have been wanting to do this for a while. If you ever get tired of it sell me the mounts biggrin.gif

DarkHand

My Civic DX has a broken timing belt and my CRX DX will be getting a swap. I've been considering putting the CRX's engine in the Civic. It would get the Civic running, save the need for rebuilding the head, and get the CRX prepped for the swap all at the same time. smile.gif
DarkHand

Masta

Swaps done:

KL-ZE V6 into 1991 Merc. Tracer
Helped Tom do numerous swaps including the most recent, and most difficult, JDM ZC w/S20 LSD trans

Plans for me include a B-series swap(not sure yet which one). I love swapping motors, Tom's swap is the coolest because it's never been done. I'd like to transform my 87 CRX Si into a Type R killer oneday with a B18C5 transplant, but the $$$ has to come first. For now it may just be a B18 non-vtec or B16 OBD-0.
Either way a b-series swap should be fun. And seeing as I got a somkin deal on all the B-series swap parts, I should be able to do it for a song. Here's hopin!!!

D.
Civic Nation. Represent.

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I have NOT done an engine swap as of yet.

Reasons

1. At 115,000 miles, the stock d15 is in great shape. No problems, reliability is 99.9%.

2. If I was to do a swap, I'd have to go b16.. and I don't have the space, time, or money to do that just yet.

3. Although I haven't gone yet, I see myself attending some autocross events. To stay in a class where I may be competetive, an original engine would be nice.

Kirk
No more CRX

pocketrocket

• ho-ho-dilly or chacha?
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: candy van
QUOTE (rpr @ Apr 1 2004, 11:12 AM)
3. ZC into 85 CRX: replaced the previous motor when I spun a rod bearing. Not a bad swap, took about a week off and on.
5. Currently I am swapping an SOHC ZC into the 87 and doing the carb->FI conversion again (something I said I would never do...) and so far it's going good. I hope I get it done before the next event.

i need to know more about these. i want to put in someting that i don't need, and i really want a dohc, they make the coolest noises. at least i think thats what i was listening to. whatever the newest si's have, that makes a b-utiful sound. if you have pictures and things maybe on a link that would be great that way i can drool over it and wish, kinda like my momo seats.... umm, momo. i am such a tool.

Back to the origionl question. i manned the manual for 2 swaps, and trust me, the manual is a life saver. if it was up to the guys doing the grunt work they would have just pluged everything off. i wished they would have listened to me we managed to get coolant into the engine.
so the moral of the story is, listen to the girl with the manual..
we put a 1.5 into a 1990 civic, then put a 1.6 into it and we put a toyota truck back together. Oh BTW i have a 1.5 that needs a little TLC if anyone is intrested. we are about to aquire another si engine, so that puts us up to 4 engines and 1 1/2 running cars. damn i didn't realise that i had so many engines lying around.
go ahead, touch it..

timing belt, $40, pully thing $11, callin jack in the middle of the night to tell him his car was next, Priceless.

JDN14

dont mock my love for Momo!....man..it even SOUNDS cool....Momo...say it with me...Mo-mo awwwwwwwwwwww man.
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (pocketrocket @ Apr 13 2004, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (rpr @ Apr 1 2004, 11:12 AM)
3. ZC into 85 CRX: replaced the previous motor when I spun a rod bearing. Not a bad swap, took about a week off and on.
5. Currently I am swapping an SOHC ZC into the 87 and doing the carb->FI conversion again (something I said I would never do...) and so far it's going good. I hope I get it done before the next event.

i need to know more about these. i want to put in someting that i don't need, and i really want a dohc, they make the coolest noises. at least i think thats what i was listening to. whatever the newest si's have, that makes a b-utiful sound. if you have pictures and things maybe on a link that would be great that way i can drool over it and wish, kinda like my momo seats.... umm, momo. i am such a tool.

Here are some pics of the ongoing swap #5.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

86crxdx

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 86 crx dx, 92 integra gs, 96 ss impala
I am currently in the middle of my first honda swap
b18a1 from 92 teg in 86 dx
lots to do.

have swapped yamaha taurus sho engine and entire drivetrain in my dad's 93 mercury sable station wagon=sleeper from hell, gets beat off the line, but over 80 mph it gets real peppy and competiteve(sho was used as highspeed pursuit vehicle by cops)

have helped swap chevy 350 into a volkswagen engine equipped porsche, 944 or 918, i think,
the sound of that porsche really turns heads

i have seen some really wild swaps out there--rwd mini coopers and awd crx and a ferrari body on a bronco chassis-why? dry.gif but i really want an ultima gt-r, a, really the kit car that served as the test bed for all of the mcclarren f1 technology-its what the mclaren test drivers have in their garages, shipped in 20 different stages or steps and about $1000 to $2000 per step, and using the drivetrain of your choice--can you say v12 amg? i knew you could. biggrin.gif

Edited by 86crxdx, 21 March 2005 - 03:05 AM.

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
uhhh

3 zc swaps one 89 black top zc, one carb zc into two cars.. the engine is lasting longer then the cars it was in.

eventualy an ls swap is in the works.

i can do the swaps in like a day. maybe two. getting good at understanding all the steps and their order inorder to get the motor in and out fairly quickly.
pluss maybe air tools will help the speed...

chris
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
wooah this post goe sback a bit.. if anyoen was reading my previous replies in this topic, well i've finished my d16a1 swap.

First of all.. YES it was worth it.. great fuel economy, tons of power, good bang for the buck...

the hardest part was fuel lines and pump.. i did a carb to FI swap... i put the entire integra harness in which was pretty easy...
everything else just bolts right up pretty much...

disadvantages would be that it is time consuming..

other then that, i highly recommened this swap
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

1g Supremacy

Did you do engine harness and underdash only? Or complete headlight-to-tail light-harness-swap?

That's what California wants me to do. Bullshit, I tell you.

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
K put it this way...
If you have done a swap..
What engine? d15a3(switched from carb to fi)
How long has it been?it took about 2 months
Any specific problems? wires suck!!!
Would you do it again? yep
Did you do it yourself? most of it, but my dad helped
Advantages? the car actually runs good
Disadvantages? wires suck!!!

i can't read what was in the boxes so i don't know what to put.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Why I did not do a swap:

My engine was a D15A3 in good condition.
I did not want the weight penalty
I was able to find all the go fast parts neccesary
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
i did the integra harness fomr headlights to the back seat ( in my civic ) then i used the civic rear harness.. that sucks about the cali thing..

and scott.. the engine really doesnt weigh that much more.. and maybe with your go fast parts, your motor will be as powerful as a stock d16a1.. then take a d16a1 and do teh same mods to get even more power..
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

kenny86si

• Phoenix CRX
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI(sold)- 91 Mustang 5.0 LX
    • Image Gallery
87 integra into an 86 crx, I did it nearly a year ago all myself in a week-when i had time. I love the results-it feels like a new beast all around and the biggest hangups were removing axels, axel nuts, and wiring was a little tedious but not that bad.