D16a1 Engine Swap Member Count

• You cannot reply to this topic
57 replies to this topic

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Touché.

My car has been completely transformed from that swap, and I know it inside and out. Every bolt, every nut, every screw, I have taken off and put back on. So much fun!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Was it something I said?

Lots of great, well thought-out responses to this post. If I made you think, I am happy.

I want to send love to all my D16A1 and ZC friends. Eveyone who has done the swap has been happy with the results. And if you pushed me to admit it, yes I would love to have a ZC or a D16A8 in my '87 Si.

The brown and black top D16A1 are fine engines.... And if you sarted with a EW2 or EW3 the swap is well worth the effort.

There is no replacement for displacement.... but in this case 100cc (6cui) seperates the D15 and the D16. Factor in the extra weight of the D16 engine/tranny/axles and the advantage of extra displacement soon disappears.

The D16 has the advantage in high rpm breathing, no doubt about it. But the D15A3 has some redeeming features including lower weight and low end torque characteristics.

So the bottom line is: I admit it, the D16 is the superior engine. But I am here to stand up for the D15A3 which can be built to make some good power.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 20 2004, 01:38 PM)
There is no replacement for displacement.... but in this case 100cc (6cui) seperates the D15 and the D16. Factor in the extra weight of the D16 engine/tranny/axles and the advantage of extra displacement soon disappears.

Lets not forget 4 valves and one extra cam......... ph34r.gif

EDIT:

Plus brown top starts off with 21 bhp more, and the black top with 26 bhp more. Plus the valve timing capabilities are great..........as well as the power from turbo applications. Turbo D15A3's are great little engines..........but when compared to a turbo D16A1, its not up to par. But, Kirk(87Si), is keeping his D15A3.....and more power to him./ OPM makes great parts for those engine.......especially the .040" pistons........

Edited by eastsiderider, 20 May 2004 - 04:06 PM.

SportInjectedClub

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
I have some of those OPM pistons sitting in my garage. Once I get my D16 swap done, I am considering putting those dudes in my CRX Si. The stock (except for header and cone filter) D15 is nice, but I'd love a little more punch. I'm thinking I can probably get about 120-130 hp with a bit of headwork and a beefier cam; and still retain good gas mileage and driveability.

Damn, what am I gonna do with a racecar and two quick street cars? That'll be rough.

Mike
No power . . . no weight

xthreetwosevenx

• broken camshaft
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic si
donor car: 89 integra ls

receiving car: 86 civic si

i bought the integra last summer for $200. for that amount of money you can't go wrong. swapped rear brakes and engine is next. the engine was completely disassemble and is now being put back together with acura parts. now i just have to get my g/f's rabbit gti running good so i can have something to drive while the motor is out.

Edited by xthreetwosevenx, 20 May 2004 - 08:30 PM.

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (eastsiderider @ May 20 2004, 04:00 PM)
Lets not forget 4 valves and one extra cam.........

And they create.... Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Yes that's right. Extra parasitic drag.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 21 2004, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (eastsiderider @ May 20 2004, 04:00 PM)

Lets not forget 4 valves and one extra cam.........

And they create.... Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Yes that's right. Extra parasitic drag.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Scott

Scott, you get the ultimate props for sticking to your guns!
2 thumbs up!

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
bueller.... buelller ... bueller.... ....... bueller
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

cburnscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 Honda CRX Si, 93 Honda Prelude VTEC, 92 Chevy Cheyenne 1500 WT, 96 GMC Suburban SLT 4x4, 98 Acura CL 2.3, 06 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL, 09 Maxima SV, 09 Acura TSX 2.4
Skip the D series (although good motors) and go for a B series swap.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Having 2 values for the exhust IS better because spent gas that just got burned need to leave to make room for the fresh o2 and gas. The 2 valve system flows better because there is a larger openings to exit and smaller valves to get around to get to the openings, The single exhust vavle on the 12 vavle motors are not only larger - hence making it harder for the spent exhust to get around it. and once it dose get around the vavle there is the one small opening to go through as oposed to the 2 small openings on the 16 valve motors.

Thats why every one wants those fancy headers to free up the spent gases and get them thehelloutathere.

Extra cam, well if your in to tunning and have adjustable camgears, then you can tune the helloutofdamotor. (with a dyno).

Edited by Aren D., 21 May 2004 - 08:34 PM.

85SiHybrid

Donor car: 87 USDM Integra LS 4dr
Recipient: 85 CRX Si

Rebuilt the D16A1, new clutch net 15.7@93 with streets and stock CRX suspension.

2 years later added a turbo and full suspension, brakes. Only 1 time at the track with the timer and got a 14.5@98 on streets/full interior with only 5.5psi.

1 year later on 10psi I crushed the ring lands on 3 pistons at the street legal drags no timer mad.gif

6 months later rebuilt the engine, forged rollerwaves, eagle rods, pinned block, computer balance to .25 of a gram, Professional P&P on the head and now running 12psi. Full bushing kit installed at this time also. No track time yet till I get new management. Only 1000 miles on the new build.

Nov 03, put up on stands and covered till I return from Iraq. My wife starts it and runs it every week to keep things moving.

Now being treated to a 4 piece body kit, carbon fiber hood, and new wheels biggrin.gif

Cj
user posted image

Street Luge

well it all just started out with the wish for fuel injection

so i went hunting for an si... and none were to be found, so then i thought , hmmm perhaps i should go to a d16a1... so i searched and found 2 half motors that i got for a song and a dance ( or just a full bushing kit) so i took them apart and they currently sit in a few billion pices in the garage waiting for re assembly. then i got a lead on a zc, and in a few weeks/month time i will outright own it.

now looking at it , it looks to be in good condition but i thoguht hey, if im gonna go all out for hp then mabye i should rebuild it. i bought a full gasket set and am thinking of new piston rings and such ( all depends on what it looks like when and if i open it up. then this came along ahks turbo kit for a 87 crx si ( sans intercooler and turbo) but including turbo timer too. now i may be wrong , but this will allow me to boost the zc without needing to go to electronic advance, or does this convert to electronic advance... now we are leaving the region i would like to call " things i know about"

now all these pictures are nice... but dont include instructions or a pic of the huge amount of wiring harness. the harness wouldent bother me if the instructions were there.

so currently im in the initial stages of project death trap

Things i need

- bigger torsioin bars
- teg hubs and axles
- si gas tank pickup
- some welding done to bring the car back up to near perfect
- turbo and intercooler
- miracle
- engine rebuilt

now onto a few side notes, anyone in southern ontario (hamilton , gta, other) having access to a mig welder and even beter , knows how to sue it, any help would be greatly appreciated/re-embursed for their generous help. the rust is palguing me and it needs to go befor anything else, baring that , anyone know of a good place in hamilton to get some body repair done.

if none of this works, a person by the name of steve smith goes to the golf course i work at , the rest of you might know of him as "red green" i'll hit him up and see if he can spot me some duct tape "(he drives a rt/10 viper), so he must know what he's doing lol

TheSneak

• Two Krazy Daveks
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx dx
well i'm currently building just my suspension and waiting for checks and parts, but after that a swap from a 86-87 teggy, then when the white smoke settles from the bologna frying, rims and tires, probably rota slipstreams with falken azenis then after that new seats because mine are shot. this should all take about 6 months if everything goes as planned. i just got out of school so i should be able to work ALOT more and i hope to have at least the money for the d16 swap before school starts again. man i wish i had started saving when i started working. this will be quite an accomplishment for a 17 year old burger king cook making 5.35 an hour.

Edited by homsar_is_the_best, 22 May 2004 - 12:55 AM.

One time Krazy Davek said his foot hurt. So he glocked it. Then he glocked his other foot just because he thought it was going to snitch, he asked it if it was and it said no, so he glocked it not only because it was going to snitch but also because it lied.When he isn't driving his 3 door 3 speed 3 cylinder geo metro with 20" spinners, he's driving his freestyle motox bike with 20" spinner dirtbike wheels in downtown NYC.