D16a1 Engine Swap Member Count

• You cannot reply to this topic
57 replies to this topic

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
These swaps aren't boring.........maybe you just need to spice it up a bit and make it faster...................
SportInjectedClub

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 19 2004, 11:31 AM)
Swaps are the result of herd mentality.... sticking with the D15A3 and maximizing its potential is for the rugged individualist.

Scott

*Shakes your hand*

Its funny, Scott, you and I are the rare ones that actually want to maximize the potential of the stock motors... I always get wierd looks from people when I say this is the motor I am sticking with...

One guy went as far as to ask me when the new motor goes in.... This is the new motor!!! Then the 'oh, Single cam' comment.

My goal is for a D15A3 that can prove to the DOHC guys that this motor has serious potential. Just wait.

But hey, for the rest of you, good projects, boosted D16A's are very potent, just make sure to keep us up to date on what kind of gains you get, troubles you encounter, and keep it at the track.

Cheers,
Mark

Edited by Rampage, 19 May 2004 - 08:02 PM.

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Rampage @ May 19 2004, 08:02 PM)
Its funny, Scott, you and I are the rare ones that actually want to maximize the potential of the stock motors...  I always get wierd looks from people when I say this is the motor I am sticking with...

One guy went as far as to ask me when the new motor goes in.... This is the new motor!!!  Then the 'oh, Single cam' comment.

My goal is for a D15A3 that can prove to the DOHC guys that this motor has serious potential.  Just wait.

It has been my experience that there is a very strong herd mentality in the sport compact segment and a real dearth of orginal thought. I think the underlying problem is that a lot of young people only know what they read in magazines or hear from their friends.

God forbid you should "rock the boat" with a suggestion that is not "conventional wisdom" and you will be attacked as a heretic. I have TRIED to help some of them see the light. There is none so blind as those who will not see.

The SOHC design has strengths and weaknesses. I think it is interesting that Ford and Mercedes are using SOHC 3 valves designs in current engine. Maybe they know something.....

If I was building a race only motor that was going to live its entire life at 7,000 rpms, I would start with a DOHC design. But for a street engine that needs some low end torque, there may be some value to a SOHC design with two intake valves and one exhaust valve.

The D15A3 is a good bottom end, the basic head design is OK. The real restriction to power is the induction side of the head (limited by the tiny TB). If you can get more induction, clean up the head, raise compression and make the cam a bit lumpier you can find some real power in a D15A3 that will be pleasant to live with on the street.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
rolleyes.gif
SportInjectedClub

rally25rs

• push the seat back a little lower watch light bend in the blower
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '01 Forester
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Donor: '89 integra
Into: '87 Civic Si

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
I told the semi-ricer dude at advance with my tax refund next year
I'd like to raise the compression and maybe get a cam.
Anyway we were trying to figure out where the PCV valve was could
not find it anyway mine has the spark plugs on the front not the top
and he says
OMFG MAN THIS IS REALLY OLD SCHOOL

But I'm gonna get the motor up to power next winter and I
think its gonna come out OK.

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I respect both views. I plan on staying with "Old Faithful" as well though. Although a ZC or a B16 sounds exciting, my motor is strong, and reliable. Till the d15 expodes, it will most likely be in the rex.

Soon to have my lightspeed header, I see a mild cam, a better flowwing TB, and lot sof suspension mods. I'm not looking to beat that Mustang sitting next to me, but to find a balance that makes my driving experience (being daily driven, windy mountain road outing, or weekend autox) more enjoyable.

But seriously.. everyone should do what they want, and as long as YOU enjoy it, and are happy with the work YOU have done to YOUR car... it all pays off in the end. The important thing is to have pride in what you have created. No matter what the magazines say, what the masses of this board say, what I say, what Scott says smile.gif, if you feel good about your ride, about the long hours you have put into it.. then that's all that matters.

Peace,
Kirk
No more CRX

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Swap 1 (the herd following begins)
Donor: 87 CDM Integra
Patient: 85 CRX DX
High points: converted carb to FI

Swap 2 (and continues...)
Donor: 89 JDM Integra
Patient: 85 CRX DX (see above)

Swap 3 (no herds here)
Donor: 86 CRX DX
Patient: 87 Civic 1300
High points: converted from auto to manual
Status: tried to kill it but couldn't, swapped it out anyway

Swap 4 (a herd of 1?)
Donor: 89 CDM Civic Si/91 JDM Civic
Patient: 87 Civic 1300 (see above)
High points: custom made everything, converted from carb to FI, again.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

novacrxer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1991 CRX
No.....you should maximize you cars potential!!!!

novacrxer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1991 CRX
Just kidding.....my engine (and car) is as stock as you'll ever see one! biggrin.gif

87Hybrid

• Too Many Projects Too Little Time
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 1987 Civic hatch, 85 Civic Sedan, 76 Blazer,2000 Jetta
    • Image Gallery
Who needs a stinking D16A1 when you have the mighty D15A3?

Engine swaps are for those who have no imagination. A bigger TB, some P&P, more agressive cam, I/H/E and you are making the same kind of HP in a lighter package that features an ideal rod ratio.

Swaps are the result of herd mentality.... sticking with the D15A3 and maximizing its potential is for the rugged individualist.

Scott

Scott

I personally am getting tired of your posts telling everyone that they are stupid for doing to their cars wat they want. That is a ricer mentality.

QUOTE (Ghost-One @ May 19 2004, 02:32 PM)
cough cough self glorifacation cough cough 

And the problem is.....??? 

The problem would be that this thread wants to know who did what to what car for a specivfic swat that you havent done and think that everyone is stupid for doing.

Donar 88 integra 30,000 mile motor
Reciepent 87 carburated hatchback

Used Si fuel system and full integra wire harness

and for you sohc fans

85 civic sedan

stock short block,
Using Si head to lower compression and turbocharging with integra TB and injectors.
"AAAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster."  Homer Simpson

87 Hybrid hatchback and 85 sedan.
user posted image
user posted image
SportInjectedClub

CRXdan

Donor car: 1988 Acura Integra LS (blacktop D16a1)

Receiving car: 1987 Honda Civic CRX Si (d15a3)

Curreentley rmeoving from black car to put into project CRX.

Plans: 5-7psi turbokit depending if I keep car.

I dono about the argument with the 3 valve per cylinder= better torque. I think the d16a1 has decent torque, i coudl cruise in 4th at 50km hr and the car woudlnt struggle.

Hey mark, you may get close to runnign my time, but all I do is pull my interior and its a brand new game.

tongue.gif

haha jk buddy
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (CRXdan @ May 19 2004, 08:05 PM)
Hey mark, you may get close to runnign my time, but all I do is pull my interior and its a brand new game.

tongue.gif

haha jk buddy

The D16 surely feels like it has torque in your car, but look at the numbers:

D16A: 120/100
D15A3: 91/93

More torque than HP, and the DOHC design does not have that. The numbers don't lie.

Anyways, what are you worried about? You should be scared of Eldo, he's got mid-15 without spray. Watch out!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

civtrx

• Craig M.
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic 1500-S
keep the information coming guys!!

And just to make my point clear again, I did not intend for this thread to single out the D16a1 because it is the "best" motor for our cars... a lot of people have been doing these swaps or have been thinking about them, but anyone is welcome to post up their projects of course!

-Civ
user posted image
^^^^^ R.I.P 05/16/05. . . you will be missed my Civic! ^^^^^

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
Donor car: 1987 Acura Integra RS (D16a1)

Receiving car: 1986 Honda Civic Si (EW1)

Status: Has ZC cams and head, DC header, Greddy Muffler w/ 2.25" exhaust, K&N, Magnacor Wires, ST swaybars and rear springs, Tokico HP blues, Integra front brakes with Brembo cross driled rotors and Axxis Metal Master pads (street duty wink.gif ), 17" Racing Hart GP-0 (bling bling MF) laugh.gif ,

Plans: possible turbo kit (but I want to keep my A/C!), 23-25 MM torsion bars, GC coilover kit, Redpepper Racing Camber Plates and Pan Hard Bar, Integra rear brake install w/95 Prelude MC. But to do all this I need MONEY!!!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image