Lowering My Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx si
jsut wondering if im only lowering the car 1.5 inches will i need the adjustable panhard bar? i've read that it returns to normal after three but doesnt really shift unless its lower than that i may be wrong just want some help thanks guys

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery
I would say that it kinda depends on the wheels. I'm on 13s with 185/60x13s and I have no issues at any height. Although you might end up needing to roll the drivers rear fender lip. I did and I drive pretty hard, no issues. Let's see if others agree though, this is my first 1G!

Edited by '85-SI, 28 January 2009 - 05:22 PM.

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
im still rockin the stock si phone dials 14's so maybe a lil different thanks for the input though

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery
14s huh? runnin the big boys! haha smile.gif

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
I lowered my CRX about 1 3/4" and did not need an adjustable panhard bar - there's no rear fender rubbing. I have 195/50 tires on 15 x 6.5" wheels. However, my car does have stiffer than stock torsion bars and rear springs, with Medieval Pro/Tein dampers, so there isn't a whole lot of suspension movement.

With stock 14" wheels and 185/60 tires you may not have any problems with rubbing. Can't hurt to lower it and try things out - why spend the $$$ on an adjustable PHB if you don't need one?

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (pvbcrx @ Jan 28 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why spend the $$$ on an adjustable PHB if you don't need one?

Need it?

No, but your rear axle does change its relationship to the body when you change the ride height. Get behind a lowered 1st/3rd gen that does not have an adjustable PHB and you will see that the left (USDM driver's side) wheel is closer to the fender than the right side.

You can make your own A PHB or you can buy one, but I would recommend one to get your suspension lined up correctly.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
about how much closer is it to the drivers side? and thats exactly what im trying to avoid i have everything for the job except that considering the price and the lack of a welder.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (veritasaequatis @ Jan 28 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
about how much closer is it to the drivers side?

Depending upon the offset of your wheels, enough to rub.

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
stock offset im not planning on/ dont have the money to get new wheels anytime soon so rubbign no rubbing will it seriously hurt the handling and drivability ?

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
Always a good discussion topic! All I can say is that my experience jived with RETROCRX's AutoCAD study of the rear axle movement geometry, here's the link in the rpr Wiki:

Wiki Link For PHB Geometry

In theory lowering 1.5" moves the rear axle ~1/32", which is very little. A good visual aid is the rear suspension picture here in the Civic FSM:Rear Suspension Arrangement Since the upper PHB pivot point is on the driver's side, lowering the car (effectively raising the axle) will initially swing the axle outward towards the passenger's side.

When I lowered my car, I used a long metal straight edge placed on equally inflated tires to check for any L/R differences in inboard-to-outboard fender gap. Nothing discernible. Your results may vary - two decade old cars aren't exactly straight in the first place. Now, if I could just get the @#$% height the same on each side - that really bugs me and no amount of adjusting the threaded dampers seems to even it out...

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i read that but didnt quite understand it
so its not really that noticeable 1/32 of an inch over to the passenger side ,ahs it affected tire wear and handling and what not ?
sorry about the questions i just want a clear answer as to why the bar is supposedly necessary

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

I have no abnormal tire wear or anything such! Its really not tat much and if you don't rub, I would e to concerned about it. My car drives the same, granted I only use about an inch or so of suspension... I think you will be just fine.

veritasaequatis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
awesome thanks for the input guys