80 replies to this topic

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Only the HF got the plastic valve cover. Only the Si had the cast aluminum valve cover. Everything else had the stamped steel.
Posted Image

Joseph Davis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Crapwagons
QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Jul 4 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rev limit is determined by the bottom end. If its a LS bottom end, stick to the LS Redline.

I've revved stock rod LS bottom ends to 9K before, and forged piston/rod LS bottom ends to 10K. Always, and without fail, the VTEC head is prone to problems if you rev past 8500 frequently. All the B-series cranks are zero balanced from Honda to 10K rpms. Ask any of the big name engine builders, from Don Flores to RLZ.

90's era Hondas are quite overbuilt, really.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I'm not really too interested in going with the LS crank/rods as I'm sold on the c1/5 bottom end for longevity and the already stupidly light car spins bad enough without added torque
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Looks like I'm falling into a B16, I'll have to update y'all on how this affects my build- nothing for sure yet other than I should be getting it around 10pm tomorrow

Joseph Davis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Jul 20 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not really too interested in going with the LS crank/rods as I'm sold on the c1/5 bottom end for longevity and the already stupidly light car spins bad enough without added torque

There are no longevity issues, except with high rpms and then it's all in the head. Not a factor of the bottom end. And, extra torque? You realize torque is a product of displacement, and 37cc isn't exactly a deal breaker?

I don't mean to argue you into the ground, but I see people do what you do all the time: Spend a lot of money on things that don't matter "because it came from an almighty V-TECH engine OMG" and then have to skimp out on essential items at the end of their build because they've broken the bank by overpaying every step of the way. If you don't get disgruntled at having a money pit and sell everything off, and then the other alternative is it takes forever to field the build. And for no extra reliability, no extra power, etc.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I smell what you're stepping in but I'm happy with the way the GSR bottom end is designed and how it looks on paper. I have nothing against LS-V's and I'll probably have one at some point but, for this build, I want to stick to a trueish poor man's R. I'm going to try not to spend too much on the rebuild but I don't plan on doing any low quality work; like you, apparently, I see people parting out their build ALLL the time at big hits to their investments but, as I said before, I'm doing this pretty slowly rather than expecting to get it done in two months and under budget.

Joseph Davis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
smile.gif

Regardless of the how I'd do it vs how you'd do it thing, I look forward to the results!

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
QUOTE (zakats @ Jul 21 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but I don't plan on doing any low quality work; like you, apparently,

something tells me i read this wrong... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
You did! You know me better than that! I meant that we both see people parting out their builds commonly

Joseph Davis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
tongue.gif

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
QUOTE (zakats @ Jul 21 2009, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like I'm falling into a B16, I'll have to update y'all on how this affects my build- nothing for sure yet other than I should be getting it around 10pm tomorrow

that's what happened to me,lol
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
the guy flaked on me... Oh well, I should be getting the head in a few days when I get time to pick it up.

I might buy some new, but already pressed in, itr pistons... can't recall if that is a nono or not (pressing out pistons and being reused) Can't use em as-is because they're on LS rods and I'm not planning on going LS crank which is too bad because the pistons/rods are already balanced.

Joseph Davis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
You have to be careful with the piston when pressing the pin back out. You can get crafty and cut a half circle out of a piece of lumber to protect the piston while pressing.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
thanks for the tip Jo may I call you Jo? thanks Jo wink.gif I'll be taking all my work to a reputable machine shop- hopefully with good results.

Took a look at the head today, not sure where the springs/retainers are so I'm hoping they are a new,aftermarket set sitting in a box somewhere in my friend's garage. There appears to be a nice, mild port job as claimed with evidence, as claimed, of ~5k of use since doing the rebuild on the engine it came off of.
Also appears to be a little indication (minor pitting) of some detonation near the intake valves, I'll post pics when I get them to see what you guys think.

The LMA's don't look bad but they do seem to be a little worn which makes me :/ but I can't complain since the head has a very good over all condition and I'm getting it for a steal.

Cams coming with the head will be XS ITR replicas and, possibly, stock B16a cams smile.gif I think I'll have a tune for both if I can swing it!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

well the environment can kiss my ass wub.gif, I bought an 84 so I won't be emissions testing ever again! The pictures are absolutely shit but I'm running on fumes, exhausted, and couldn't quite steady my hand while driving over the pierce elevated (downtown Houston, I-45)

think I should start a project thread and document every little thing?