The Kakabox Build

• You cannot reply to this topic
2000 replies to this topic

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thanks MK! (however, my browser shows the page count at 132)

6/4/11 AX Practice Event Report Out

My Company's ax club (BEAC) held a practice ax event on 6/4. The week prior to the event my Dr. gave me the "OK" to participate as I've been making very good progress in my post surgery physical therapy (I had a triple torn rotator-cuff repair surgery on Feb 9th). "Don’t crash" were his exact words!

Ok, so, I've made some significant changes to the Kakabox last winter…

Spherical bearing front suspension (monoball pivots for radius and torsion bar arms, no rubber/urethane bushings)
Front traction bars
29mm torsion bars (up from 27.5mm)
Deeper front dam (1.5" lower vs. OEM) with splitter (1" fwd protruding lip)
Roof 'spoiler' (7 - 40 degree adjustable AOA)
and I reduced the rear sway bar stiffness 10% (my rear bar is adjustable in ~10% increments, 5 different settings)

My goal in the making these mods was to promote more grip/stability in general and more rear grip in particular. Previously (before the above mods), the Kakabox could be a little too loose in the rear. If my driving was a little sloppy (lifting abruptly, or too much trail braking), it would result in a spin. Car was quick, however, it could be a little touchy to drive, esp. if the tires were not at optimal temp.

I made all these changes at once and so it's very hard to discern what change contributed to what effect and how much, however, MAN 'O MAN is the car noticeably improved! My un-scientific opinon is that the majority of the improvements came from David's (firstgencrx) spherical bearing front suspension/traction bars, the increase in front spring rate (29 mm tbars) and slight decrease in rear roll stiffness. Thank you David!

The car has much more overall grip than last year. It just sticks through the transitions, a little drifting (oversteer) or a little under steer could be detected at the limit (depending on the transition, entry speed/braking). However, the car is much more controllable at the limit now. Unlike last year, there were no wild swings into oversteer where I would have to catch the spin…none at all…all day...even in the AM when pavement temps were lower (last year, I could be counted to spin at least once or twice in the AM sessions). Clearly the car is more controllable and easier to drive at the limit. I'm very pleased with the current set-up and don't plan on changing a thing.

One thing I can clearly attribute to the spherical bearing front suspension, is that ride (impact harshness) has improved, even with the ~25% increase in front spring rate. With bind inherent with the OEM rubber bushed control arms removed, the suspension is now free to articulate when the tires meet any road imperfection. This appears to have improved the ride quality by reducing the impact harshness. The 'quality' of the 180 mile round trip drive to the track was no worse than with the 27.5mm tbars.

So, with all these 'improvements' how'd the Kakabox do? Out of ~30 cars in attendance (w/some National caliber drivers), I ran well enough to be in the hunt for FT in the AM session and took FT in the PM! Although only a 'practice' ax event, I feel it was a great 2011 debut of the 'new' Kakabox! smile.gif

...oh, and the 'shoulder' did fine, no pain before, during or after.

Cheers,
J.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Sounds awesome! Did you play with your alinement settings much?
Do you think you may have too much negative camber in the front?

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
You need to take the Civic to a nice park and shoot some glamour shots.

smile.gif

MK
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Great news! Congrats on a successful beginning to what I'm sure will be a great season for you.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Like the report on the differences, and the outcome. Congratulations. Nice to have a stable car as you don't have to go into corners expecting misbehaviour.

In a similar vein, a mate took the kakburra for a hillclimb two weeks ago. He hadn't driven it before, and he was doing some ordinary road driving before, and was getting worried that the car wasn't at all like what he was used to (gen 2 crx) and what he was expecting. Then he got on the track and up to speed, and in his words 'it started making sense'. I laughed. I'm promised a track drive of his R32 GTR, and it will likely be me making the comments then.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Aren D. @ Jun 15 2011, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you play with your alinement settings much?
Do you think you may have too much negative camber in the front?

No, I left the alignment settings the same as last yr: -2.0 deg front camber, 1/8" total toe out, ~ +5 deg caster
I don't think I have too much front camber. Why do you ask? The car feels pretty balanced to me.

Ok, I've got a confession to make…
I let a Nationally ranked ax driver drive the car during the event while I watched from the sidelines. He's is typically a driving 'whore' at these club practice events always asking to drive other 'fast' cars and not driving his own. He always compensates the 'rental' with dispensing expert driving advice though. smile.gif

After the AM session (we only got 3 runs), where I was very close to the FTD, I started putting down faster times then the other drivers with consistent runs in the 55's. That must of gotten his attention as he started giving me encouragement to get into the 54.'s. On my 5th run, I got close posting a 55.38x run…which was, at that point in time, the FT for the PM session (we got 6 runs in the PM). So, at this point Glen asks if he could try. First time ever driving the Kakabox…and he always campaigns a rear wheel drive car. Anyway, he jumps in the K'box, grids up and blasts off a 55.08x sec run! Again, he's never driven the Kakabox before…damn! dry.gif I had one run left…using some of Glen's advice on 3rd gear use, I tried again to get into the 54's. I posted a 55.2xx w/one cone. rolleyes.gif

So, Glen actually got the FT that afternoon, not me, however, he drove the Kakabox to do it! laugh.gif

Anywho, I make this confession to point out a couple things...
1: Clearly the K'box is being held back by the driver. In AX, the car usually is. I have no doubt Glenn could of easily run in the 54's w/in another run or two…possibly the 53's as he confessed that he was holding back as he had never driven the car before. With more seat time, I'm certain I will 'catch-up' w/the car and learn to trust it to carry more speed through out the course. One thing I learned was I should hold the car in 3rd longer than I had been doing. The car sticks so well now that I can carry more 'momentum' through the faster portions of the course where 2nd gear accel is not required.

2: Standing on the sidelines watching an expert driver 'pedal' the car around the course, I could see that the car 'looked' pretty neutral through the transitions. It didn't appear to push, nor did Glen over rotate the rear. In fact, from my vantage point, I really didn't see the rear step out. The car looked balanced.

All in all, at this point, I'm very pleased w/the car and don't plan on fiddling w/the suspension and alignment settings until I improve my driving techniques.

Thx Aren!
J.

QUOTE (Madkore @ Jun 15 2011, 05:34 PM)
You need to take the Civic to a nice park and shoot some glamour shots.

Yes...that's on the list. Perhaps this wkend. Should of done that at last wkend's 'Old School' car show (pre '87 Japanese & German cars invited) but I did not.

J.

QUOTE (anjin @ Jun 15 2011, 08:51 PM)
Congratulations. Nice to have a stable car as you don't have to go into corners expecting misbehaviour.

Yes, I had gotten somewhat used to the car's 'touchy' behaviour and was still able to post good times. Now, with this yrs changes, I have higher limits to explore!

QUOTE (anjin @ Jun 15 2011, 08:51 PM)
In a similar vein, a mate took the kakburra for a hillclimb two weeks ago. He hadn't driven it before, and he was doing some ordinary road driving before, and was getting worried that the car wasn't at all like what he was used to (gen 2 crx) and what he was expecting. Then he got on the track and up to speed, and in his words 'it started making sense'. I laughed. I'm promised a track drive of his R32 GTR, and it will likely be me making the comments then.

It's always nice to get positive feed back from people not too familar w/the 'charms' of correctly modded 1/3g Civics! wink.gif

Glen driving the Kakabox to FT was a validation of sorts of all the work I've done. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it put a smile on my face all the same!

Cheers!
J.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yeah -2 sounds really good. I was actully asking I guess from your last year reviews when the described the car too loose in the rear, I find that with excessive camber upfront the rear will turn into a slip and slide. But -2 would not cause this also at the same time the car can understeer a little in the in the beginning of the turn until It gains enough lean to hit the camber grip which results in snap overster. I had both these issues with too much front camber.

But it sounds like your car is a blast and I would agree not to change any thing until you are more familiar with the new upgrades!

Good luck at your next event, can't wait for more updates!

cahitapower

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 civic si
QUOTE (kakabox @ Jun 15 2011, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
6/4/11 AX Practice Event Report Out

I made all these changes at once and so it's very hard to discern what change contributed to what effect and how much, however, MAN 'O MAN is the car noticeably improved! My un-scientific opinon is that the majority of the improvements came from David's (firstgencrx) spherical bearing front suspension/traction bars, the increase in front spring rate (29 mm tbars) and slight decrease in rear roll stiffness. Thank you David!

GODD!!...this is torture, i want them sooo bad.... dry.gif

good to hear your 3g is running better. Always looking up to your build...
So MuCh In SUcH A SmALL BoX

Project Build "CahitaPower"

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Oh yes, there is indeed both good and bad with guest drivers. Their comments and observations are always valuable. Seeing your car at speed from the outside is also valuable. But they drive faster than you do. Hard on the ego as it is, you just have to accept that you have limits on what you are prepared to do. But take their ability to push it harder as an incentive to push your comfort zone out a level. You know the car can do it, you just have to catch up to it.

Actually, you have probably been compensating for the 'touchy' behaviour. Now thats settled, you have to unlearn the compensation. I found that was a problem after redoing my rear suspension and brakes- I wasn't prepared to push after a few snap oversteer moments into the kitty litter and being towed out, and spins under heavy braking when the rears locked. And now I'm having to relearn the braking points after changing to better front pads - waiting for the corner is just slow.

But it'sstill so much fun doing it in a car you put together.
anjin aka Ian

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
I'm glad to see this thread still going every time I come back every once in a while.
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

deej

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
QUOTE (gustav129 @ Sep 13 2011, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad to see this thread still going every time I come back every once in a while.

Totally Agree.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think you have some more lightening to do.

door hinges

rear engine mount

There is a story on the mount. It's from a mugen prepared crx that was a state champion under 2 litre car. It was a shared drive, and one driver - Shane - was an ex rally driver who was well into lightening cars. Shorter bolts etc level. The engine mounts received this treatment. The rear one was cut and rewelded to sit the engine 20 mm lower. Spacers were added to the front and side mounts to drop them as well.
anjin aka Ian

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (anjin @ Dec 27 2011, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you have some more lightening to do.

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing,
J.

atatwalker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic hatch dx w/dohc swap, 88 civic RT wagon, 89 acura integra ls, 90 civic si pearl white, 93 cb7 w/ slotted drilled brakes black lights and a soon to be installed 98 h22a4
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (bigk3000 @ Sep 30 2005, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dude i cant believe you threw an SI interior in the garbage regardless of its condtion!!!!!!!!! LOL i would have payed you for some of that stuff sad.gif

good luck on the project, i drive a civic with a d16a1 form a 89 integra for my DD and i LOVE it. so much fun to drive.

dohc swaped

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
of everyone here, i think kakabox needs the least amount of luck in his projects biggrin.gif
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol: