K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
385 replies to this topic

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
Hang in there Victor. You’re getting close
Bob

CSPCRX

Yes we are!  Just so close you get the itch to finish it!

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

We worked on the swap yesterday and today, some of you may have seen a post by HASport.

Mounts are welded in and we have started cleaning and painting the mounts and other areas of the engine bay.

Also did a valve adjustment on the motor, so much easier to do out of the car, and installed another water pump hosing.  I had modified mine in anticipation of using the K tuned relocation kit but it did not work out.  I had chopped of the top portion where the tensioner and idler mounted.  So had to transfer everything over to another housing.

Wednesday we are going to finish painting and cleaning the engine bay and prepare for final installation of the motor!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
Super cool Victor! Can’t wait to see the finished installation!
Bob

CSPCRX

You and me both!  So close now it’s crazy but still a lot to do.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

52223891690_bd8f83c27d_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

We did some painting in the engine bay to cover up some of the decade’s of wear and tear.  We also cleaned up the wiring harness that is in the engine bay and tucked the stuff we don’t need or will connect to back in the cabin.

torqued everything down and installed the header.  Next we will be tackling axles, half shaft, shifter and cables.  I am also going to start mocking up the fuel system in the engine bay.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Mag00n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si K20Z1
Ive been running the speed box for a year and a half..interested where you got the custom cable or if you can get another

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

52223891690_bd8f83c27d_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

We did some painting in the engine bay to cover up some of the decades of wear and tear.  We also cleaned up the wiring harness that is in the engine bay and tucked the stuff we dont need or will connect to back in the cabin.

torqued everything down and installed the header.  Next we will be tackling axles, half shaft, shifter and cables.  I am also going to start mocking up the fuel system in the engine bay.

Awesome! Great work! Makes me droooool!

Edited by rufusbob, 17 July 2022 - 09:35 PM.

Bob

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Ive been running the speed box for a year and a half..interested where you got the custom cable or if you can get another

@Mag00n, IIRC Victor posted somewhere (probably earlier in this thread) that Speed Hut made the custom cable for him. If so, Im guessing all thats needed is to specify its to connect to a Gen 1 CRX speedo. I need to order one myself. I havent because other car priorities have consumed my time recently. But as soon as the Hasport K mount kit is released, Ill be ordering lots of stuff, including a speed box.

I imagine hell be along to confirm or correct me.

Edited by rufusbob, 17 July 2022 - 09:32 PM.

Bob

CSPCRX

Mag00n I got it from the company that makes them for Speedhut for the Speedbox.  Link below.

https://speedometerc...g_assembly.html

How have you linked it?  Seemed like an excellent solution to keeping the dash working as it did originally.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Victor, thanks for correcting me and posting the link to Speed Meter
Bob

CSPCRX

All good.  I had actually found them while searching for cables.  then when speaking to Speedhut they told me they were the same company that made their cables for them.  Made it an easy choice!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Mag00n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si K20Z1

Mag00n I got it from the company that makes them for Speedhut for the Speedbox.  Link below.

https://speedometerc...g_assembly.html

How have you linked it?  Seemed like an excellent solution to keeping the dash working as it did originally.

I used the ford clip on and dremeled a small slot on the cluster receiver for it to clip on to. It works fine but the ocd in me would prefer a honda clip. What exactly did you tell them when you contacted them ? Feel free to pm or text if youd rather

CSPCRX

Happy to explane here.  I called them and told them I was using the speedbox and connecting it to my 86 CRX.  Since he builds theirs he knew exactly what end went on the speedbox side.  He wanted to see some pictures and measurements of the Honda adapter that goes into the dash.  He said he thought he had them but wanted to ensure he did and he did infact have them.  He then asked what length I wanted as he could make it any length.

I don’t have the invoice with me it’s at Brian’s.  I can grab it Wednesday if needed.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

I found an interesting part for the fuel system. The hardline that comes out of the firewall has a flared fitting that connects to the rubber hose that goes into the fuel filter. Historically the solution to change this to an AN fitting was to cut off the flare and use an Earls 5/16 adapter that goes to AN. Challenge with this is sometimes, like in the engine bay, you can’t spin a pipe cutter around the hardline due to other lines near by.

I found an adapter from K-Motor Performance that attaches directly to the flared hardline and adapts to a -6 an fitting. They have two versions depending on whether you have a long or short collar on your cars hardline. Ordered a short one and should have it today to try tomorrow for some fuel system mock-up.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily