Adjusting Clutch

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

skyline2003

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si

Hey guys i kinda need some help... My clutch is slippin some what and i dont think i need a new one because i just got one in december. My clutch also grinds upshifting into second and down shifting into 3rd... so i think it just needs to be adjusted. I dont know if it needs to be loosened or tightened but i know where the clutch cable is, i just dont know which way to turn it to fix my problem. Ill include a pictureand i need to know if i turn it "Way A" or "Way B" .... "A" being counter-clockwise, "B" being clockwise??????

Edited by skyline2003, 13 June 2003 - 02:36 AM.

lopezi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si, 2000 Honda CBR 600 F4, 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 (RIP), 2002 Nissan Maxima SE
    • Image Gallery
Hi,

Tightening it, twisting to the right, will raise the the pedal engaging point. Loosening, twisting to the left, it will lower the pedal engage point (at least for me it did). It all depends on the 'state' of your clutch as to where and which way it should go.

Don't believe the hype....Firefox Myths
Why Google is not all that....

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
go in this direction if you were looking striaght down at it:
<
( )
>

so it comes toward you.
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
you described symptoms of a clutch which is adjusted too low, and too high. if the cable is tightened too far, the clutch won't disengage all the way, and it could slip (this will also wear out your release bearing because it's always spinning). but if the cable is adjusted too loosely, you may grind some gears because the clutch is still engaging and spinning them.

also, your clutch doesn's grind, it's the transmission. if it does it every time, it's probably the syncros in the transmission(transaxle :-), but if it's inconsistant it's probably the way you use it.

did you install this clutch yourself? or did you let someone else do it? was the flywheel machined properly or at all?

i think you have a couple bad sycros in the tranny. but i can't be sure. dry.gif
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC