• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
you should be getting better mileage with that many highway miles. does it need a tuneup? any check engine lights?
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
Also see RedSIBaron's research thread on MPG

With the 86 SI's CAM dialed in and some extra timing adv. we got 38-39 MPG at 70 -75 mph over 2 X 12 hour legs. Very good air density (20 deg F, Great Lakes altitude)
Buford Out

Greg Gauper

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '84 Civic (SCCA G-Prod, moved to H-Prod in 2008
I get around 12-13mpg on the track cool.gif

I once got 63 mpg with my previous 84CRX when I tucked up behind my buddy's trailer on the 8 hour drive to Brainerd for a race (I was young & stupid back then!) My buddy was pissed cuz he was only getting around 10mpg with his van and trailer.
2011 SCCA H-Production National Champion

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (hondaCRX @ Jun 8 2005, 12:42 AM)
would you call mines not normal? it seems a low... what could be causing this?

If does seem way low compared to my 42-44 mpg avg. ('85 Si) Hell, I've never had below 35 mpg and that's when I got the car. To boost my mileage I (in no particular order)

1. Replaced the gas cap w/ one that actually sealed

2. removed pass. side mirror

3. Gave it a much needed tuneup (new NGK plugs/wires, Ractive intake, valve lash, timing was WAY off, etc)

4. Replaced the 5th gear w/ a wider ratio one for low RPM cruising

5. Put her on a diet (byebye carpet, padding, sound deadening shit, panels, soon to be A/C and sunroof)

6. installed a cat-back exhaust to replace the restrictive stock one

7. set the tire pressure at 35/32 psi, the same as the HF's (that added 4 mpg alone)

8. oh yeah, I replaced my lead foot with a feather one.

9. there's more but I cant remember it all

Hope that helps....Mak
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

hondaCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Silver Bullet
what are everyones idle speed?? im at 900 to 850.. repair book says it should be 550-650??

Jack ffr1846

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX, YukonXL, 65 Cobra, Mazda6
QUOTE (Greg Gauper @ Jun 8 2005, 06:14 PM)
I get around 12-13mpg on the track cool.gif

Last 2 day event, I ran a tank. I guess I was out about 140 miles. So 14mpg for a 1600 pound car.

jack

TAAGMANsCRXwithKYBs

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX si (Jackson), 84 CRX DX(Jake), 87 CRX Si (Jack)RIP
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
In my red 87, the mileage was about 25-27 in my usual mixed freeway and residential driving, and 30-35 on the highway. My driving style (jackrabbit-ing off of every stoplight, A/C usually on and freeway cruising at about 90mph) along with my CA smog crapulence isn't that helpful in getting me better gas mileage. That being said, there are a number of factors that are contributing to your mileage. How you take off from a stop is one. Where you are (are you in CA that you need the CA smog? Is the driving you're doing in high altitude?) is another. If neither of those factors are contributing to your MPG numbers, I'd definitely check the factors contributing to how the fuel gets through the system.
For example, do you have the "surge" (idle varies wildly during the engine warming up)? That can affect MPG and there is a string on what to do for that.
If your idle is over 1K when the engine is warm, yes, that should most likely be turned down. There's a string for that too.
I'd definitely also check the timing as that can be a factor. Just my $.02

*edit* I have found that the best idle for my purposes is around 700. The car is very quiet. cool.gif

Edited by TAAGMANsCRXwithKYBs, 10 June 2005 - 04:53 PM.

TAAGMAN

There's only one basic difference between genius and stupidity... genius has its limits. - anonymous-

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Hungarian-English dictionary skit - Monty Python -

Boundless

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 CRX
I have been getting 33-5 mpg as an average for city and highway. That little tugboat doesn't care what it's doing, it just wants to plow on through it.

I have had the car for three weeks, and have not done a single thing to it yet, so it will only go up as I start fiddling. But I have rang up 3,000 kms (about 2,000 miles) without a single 'squeak'. Not bad for a car I spent $900 on...

c25ahatch

• track addict
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Civic (rear engine c25a) 89 Taurus SHO (track car) 96 Dodge Ram
Low 20's sad.gif The adapted Bosch mechanical fuel injection is not terribly efficient. I think the Legend boys do much better in there heavier cars with the same motor and PGM-FI systems. Of course, it is a little difficult to keep my foot out of it......

redsautorehab

• 3gen enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 00 Dodge Durango, 01 Ford F250, 99 Chevy Tracker, 82 suzuki rm250
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
my average is anywhere from 26-31, depending on the fwy traffic, i know it gets better highway, but i just can't stand 55-65mph for more than 50 miles wink.gif

by the way why are people still selling jdm ew1's on e-bay, when places like, nipon haven't had any for almost 2 years (boneyard usdm, maybe?) unsure.gif
"You play hard to get, I play hard to get rid of" Fez, That 70's Show

my website if you need parts for your car, and i don't have them at on my website, just pm me. I can get most of the common parts for our cars.

my vouch thread

Mateo

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 89 Civic LX
My best is 45 mpg on the highway. Bone stock and in need of a tuneup. Drove it from Salt Lake City, UT to Orange County, CA.

Then again, I drive a 89 civic LX, not a CRX. tongue.gif

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
How much do I get? About once a week, if I am lucky.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

85SiHybrid

on 7.5 gallons I get about 200 city and 240 highway. Not sure how much fuel the tank holds. It is a 85 Si with a turbo D16A1. The highway mileage was from my recent road trip with 2 mountain passes on the way.

Cj
user posted image

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Jul 6 2005, 12:33 PM)
How much do I get? About once a week, if I am lucky.

Scott

I hear you Scott. I'm always lucky tho. Mak
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

JasonCRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86CRX Si
blink.gif I get 24-26 with a mix of city/highway. I have a bad habit of cruising at 90mph on the freeway in fourth gear and using way too much throttle in between stoplights. Could be worse, my buddy with his craptastic camaro gets about 18 when he trys hard