Independent Rear Suspension

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

C-Rex HF

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 CRX HF
i want to take out the straight axel in my 85 hf and make it independent...i know it can be done i just dont know the details...amount of work, parts, fabrication, cost, ect.

can anyone help with this

Jack ffr1846

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: CRX, YukonXL, 65 Cobra, Mazda6
It can be done. I know someone who was researching putting a Miata rear end into a first gen, but don't know if he's figured it out.

The rear of a first gen CRX is fairly weak in the body. I know that my racecar had some strengthening framework welded in before I bought it and expect that a car with a lot of stress (racing) will need this work.

Either mounts can be welded to the unibody or a separate subframe could be fabricated and connected to the body by either welding or bolting it up. I like the subframe concept myself as there's likely to be less surprise metal starting to tear out.

If you have welding equipment, a suitable donor car with what you want to take the suspension from and a garage to tie up for a while, I would say that you can do this fairly cheaply. If not, it could be very expensive.

Apart from the Miata idea, Dodge Neon rears are independent and 1st gen ones can be found for cheap or free (I've been given 2 for free in the past few years). They've proven themselves in autocross and on the track. The suspension is fairly simple. A center....sort of block comes from the floor and cheap control rods mount to the center and to a hub carrier. This is then located with a rubber isolated rod going forward (looks sort of like a torsion bar but is only for locating the wheel). The spring is a coil and a strut dampens the thing. If I were to do this, I'd remove the entire suspension as a unit, cutting that center block out and cutting the forward locating mounts for the links. This should be easy to locate and weld into a CRX. As an added bonus, if you stick with a 95 car, the bolt pattern is 4x100 so your wheels would still fit. 96+ cars and ACR's are 5 bolt.

I feel like I'm talking myself into a project. biggrin.gif

jack

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i think id go for 89-00 civic rear, could be found pretty eazy, and is a good upgrade
Posted Image

C-Rex HF

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 85 CRX HF
thanks... ill look into and price each of them

i dont have welding equip. so i hope its not too much