29 replies to this topic

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si Hatchback
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
now i know that my idel surge is due to the idel air control. i went to the dealing thinking it was gonna be hassle free but they told me one dont exist on these model cars...

now is he serious when he says that. he told me maybe its my fast idel control? i dunno he COULD be right but im not sure. the iddel stops when i turn my AC on. useally what happens when the idel air control gos bad. but what should i do, keep trying at some other dealer or parts store or is it the fast idel control.

<span style='color:red'>SportInjectedClub</span>

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
i thought the iac didn't come in till ODB1 game in so that mean u will have a fic right???

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
haha not entirely too sure what ODB1 is... fic?

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (I are Corey @ Jun 16 2004, 05:37 PM)
haha not entirely too sure what ODB1 is... fic?

on board digonsis 1 and fast idle control FIC hehehe sorry about the short hand but OBD1 came in around 90 on all cars then in 98 or 99 OBD2 was installed now OBD0 that is in ur car which does not control the idle i think

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
ooh okay i understand now. but i dont think that getting that fast idel control will help out and fix the surging. so if it aint that, what the hell could it be. it could be like 25432 differnt things

IamNOTaRicer

• U sux0rz @ teh intArweb
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 Civic Si, '81 Mazda RX-7
It's most likely the idle air control.. dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. Don't bother paying someone else to do it. It's ExTREMELY simple. A Phillips screwdriver and soemthing like a wood chisel or a very large slotted screwdriver. Takes less than fifteen minutes...

--Danny

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm gonna say is the IACV or your throttle plate is sticking.

Take the intake hose off and manually shut the throttle plate.... does it stop? Sometimes the secondary plate gets gummed, and if its not completely shut, the idle will bounce. This has always been the cause of my nervous motor.

As for checking the IACV (Idle air control valve)... not sure, but I know there was a thread, and there is definately something in the service manual.

However, the AC makes sense too... I don't know if the AC dashpot opens the throttle enough to open the secondary plate... I am going to say that it most likely does not.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
THANK YOU so im not crazy...there is an IACV. I checked the throttle plate and that aint sticking. so if the dealer is going to be a fruit cake about it im gonna try salvo or something for now.

Edited by I are Corey, 16 June 2004 - 08:51 PM.

Coy

• Gone Sometimes...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 92 Legacy wagon
IMHO, you should take the IACV off and clean it with some carb cleaner, then put it back on. it MIGHT be a long shot, but you never know.

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
FYI the Idel Control Valve is on the back of the intake manifold near the Throttle Body.. It's the one with the screw on te top.. IIRC to take off the valve you need to remove the 2 colant hoses and 3 10MM bolts... (there isn't a vac line connected to it..My mistake..)

You should try to bleed your cooling system first... An air bubble in your system may cause it to surge... I may have an old working ICV around here... I will look for it and if I find it and you want it you could just pay shipping for it.. I will PM you to let you know if I find it... wink.gif

Edited by Hollowman, 18 June 2004 - 07:25 PM.

RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image

Coy

• Gone Sometimes...
  • PipPip
the iacv has two coolant lines? i think ive got the wrong thing then, cause the one i was thinking it was doesnt have any. im kinda taking the visual on my d16, but they wouldnt be that much different would they......(maybe i should make sure they arent different.)

someone post a pic of the iacv...

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
its not a direct picture of the IACV, but you can see the top of it in this pic...

Its the small ovalish plate with two screws in the top on the firewall side of the intake, near the throttlebody.

I don't have a pic of one out of a car, sorry... but at least you can see where it is on your motor.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Coy

• Gone Sometimes...
  • PipPip
ok, thats what i thought.

i dont see any sort of adjusting screw on it though.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Unfortunately its hidden by the angle of the pic.

When you get out and look at it you will see the screw... its right near the intake itself, but in the body of the IACV.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Undo the 2 phillips screws on top and then get a very large screwdriver or a flat piece of metal thin enough to engage the groove on the plastic piece inside, screw the plastic piece down (clockwise) all the way. Replace the screws on top and it should be fine. You could also remove the valve and take it apart and clean it, sometimes works, mine did not. I now have mine totally disabled, no air ,no vacuum, no coolant, no high idle-so what.
Good luck, Glen cool.gif
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub