• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

axiomjunglist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Crx HF
    • Image Gallery
I just bought a 87' CRX HF last friday, nice and clean, with 118k original miles. The original manual in the glovebox (still in the car!) shows the car originated from a dealership in Hawaii. I don't get the feeling it was raced, as all the parts are still stock, which is nice. It has a few problems here and there but overall it runs nice...needs new brakes, shocks, muffler, and possibly water pump...

I've owned 2 prior CRX's, a 85' Si and and 87' Si....this will be my first carbuerated engine in a long time....but with the gas prices rising it will be nice to have the HF for once...

So let me get to the point here...I have a few questions

1. The steering is great, it seems to be perfectly aligned. However, if you turn the wheel either way it starts squeaking like a rusty door. What parts do I need to lube here?

2. The only other biggie right now is the engine performance. In cold starts it will die constantly if the gas is not applied for a minimum of 5 minutes. The idle hovers below 1k RPM when cold and even sometimes when the engine is hot it will dip to about 500RPM and feel like it will die at any moment (and sometimes it will). Usually when warm it will stay at 1k...but dips from time to time...is this a vacuum problem, spark/distributor problem, coil problem, battery problem, or alternator? It could be any one of these but if someone here has experienced the same problem please let me know what you did to fix it!

Finally, here's a pic of my new baby...I'll post some of my old cars soon...the 85' had a NICE bodykit on it wink.gif

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Turbocharged 1997 Civic CX HB, and currently rebuilding an '85 crx
Sorry I can't help you with your problems, but I just wanted to say that your car looks real good man!

BTW, do you still have the stock bumpers from your 85, or is the car long gone?

Nick

axiomjunglist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
heh...I had the 87 back in 1997, and the 85' in 1998, both are unfortunately long long gone sad.gif

At least I took some pics...they will be coming soon

nivek2002

rebuild your carb, it should cure your idle problem and get you even better gas milage. SWEET mint car!

axiomjunglist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
just a few more pics and thanks smile.gif it is probably the nicest of the three I've owned....but definitely not the fastest :/

I'll have to check into a rebuild of the carb...it'd be nice to do for sure

nivek2002

lovely! everthing looks mint except the dreaded...

Fuel spilage fade tongue.gif

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Your car is very nice. As for the squeaky turining you may want to check you axles/univerasal joints.

axiomjunglist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
I will call jiffy lube and see if they offer checking ujoints/axels....

87CRXHF

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX HF / '79 GMC K1500

1. The steering is great, it seems to be perfectly aligned. However, if you turn the wheel either way it starts squeaking like a rusty door. What parts do I need to lube here?

2. The only other biggie right now is the engine performance. In cold starts it will die constantly if the gas is not applied for a minimum of 5 minutes. The idle hovers below 1k RPM when cold and even sometimes when the engine is hot it will dip to about 500RPM and feel like it will die at any moment (and sometimes it will). Usually when warm it will stay at 1k...but dips from time to time...is this a vacuum problem, spark/distributor problem, coil problem, battery problem, or alternator? It could be any one of these but if someone here has experienced the same problem please let me know what you did to fix it!

steering - where is the squeaking comin from? Steering wheel itself (bearings in column)? under the car somewhere (ball joints/tie rod ends/suspension bushings)? Do you have power steering? (My '87 HF that I picked up a few weeks ago doesn't) If so, check the fluid level.

Idle problem. Start with the carb rebuild. O-ring kit from Honda will run ya about $30. Base insulator/gasket (replace it, even if yours looks "OK") will run ya about $70. There's a tricky vacuum hose at the back of the carb - you hafta work it on and off while the carb's a bit loose. (I've had mine off about 8 or 9 times, and still needta order a couple of parts, but mine had been sitting for at least 5 years when I bought it). Check all the other vacuum hoses while you're doin it - it doesn't take much to make that thing die....

HTH

Jeremy

axiomjunglist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (87CRXHF @ May 6 2004, 07:23 PM)

steering - where is the squeaking comin from? Steering wheel itself (bearings in column)? under the car somewhere (ball joints/tie rod ends/suspension bushings)? Do you have power steering? (My '87 HF that I picked up a few weeks ago doesn't) If so, check the fluid level.

Idle problem. Start with the carb rebuild. O-ring kit from Honda will run ya about $30. Base insulator/gasket (replace it, even if yours looks "OK") will run ya about $70. There's a tricky vacuum hose at the back of the carb - you hafta work it on and off while the carb's a bit loose. (I've had mine off about 8 or 9 times, and still needta order a couple of parts, but mine had been sitting for at least 5 years when I bought it). Check all the other vacuum hoses while you're doin it - it doesn't take much to make that thing die....

HTH

Jeremy

I should have been more specific. The noise is indeed coming from under the hood. It doesn't have power steering either (damn) wink.gif I will probably have someone turn the wheel a bit while I have the hood open to see exactly where its coming from.....

I'm going to do a vacuum leak check this weekend also...I will look for that hose you mentioned in the back...thanks!

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I've got all your probelms covered
The squeek is comeing from the horn contact. take the wheel off and grease the contact disk.
For the idle probelms you might need a new base plate(black rubber thing under carb) try and titen the carb down then reajust the idle.
Long term
get rid of the motor and make her fuel injected

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
it could be the backing plates for the front disc brakes...disk brakes? disc.......disk....hmm.

ya check that out wink.gif

oh. if it's still got the stock motor, i don't think you have to worry about it having been raced. rolleyes.gif
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

axiomjunglist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
I'll check out the horn contacts...I definitely know its not the brakes...thankfully smile.gif

someday I'll throw a fuel injected engine in....mmmm DOHC smile.gif

axiomjunglist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
still working on things on the HF but in the meantime, some pics of my old crx's that I said I'd post smile.gif

My '87 Si from 1997

My '85 Si from 1998

teesrex_87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 crx dx (SOLD), '95 yamaha tw200, RIP-'87 accord lx
are those stock side skirts on that '85? that looks sweet!