One-piece Hood In Fiberglass? Any Interest?

• You cannot reply to this topic
92 replies to this topic

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (nivek2002 @ Jun 22 2004, 06:44 PM)
just put masking tape along the front edges of the hood so air can get under the hood.  biggrin.gif They do this for top speed runs to help with aerodynamics.

your joking right?

nivek2002

no blink.gif - some use duct tape but it will mess with your paint. You dont think this would work?

google backs me up biggrin.gif

read this, about 3/4 down the page it talks about it
http://www.audiworld...b/content.shtml

didnt work for him because he taped to much but this just proves it is something thats done.

Edited by nivek2002, 22 June 2004 - 07:25 PM.

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
as i have said in other posts, i am going to try my hand at working with fiberglass. my first project will be to make a stronger replacement for the fiberboard that covers the spare. depending on how well that goes i will also try to make a glass 86-87 si wing. then a stealth speaker box to take the place of the lockable compartment behind the seats. last but not least if all goes well and i surprize myself i will try a one piece hood header replacement. i am skeptical, but at least i will be able to say i tried.

scott
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

1g Supremacy

Question.

With a full, 1-piece Fiberglass hood..

How are we going to reach the hood release latch? blink.gif ph34r.gif

Crx85338

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Crx-Si
if it all worked out right, and the latch still worked, or someone found a way to make it work, i'd be in for a fiberglass one peice hood later on, really tight on money right now with all my interior work going. but the one piece would be awesome, and maybe someone can make us some fiberglass fenders because our stock fenders crack really bad.

tjbizzo

• pumice my corns
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Crapmobile
All I need is a price and a production timeframe to be able to tell you if I'm in. Anyone? Anyone?
Posted Image

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
1) Price, still working on it.

2) Latch, same as the CF hood. Utilizes the factory latch. You pop the hood from inside the car, and reach under the hood to release it. I have had visions of fabricating some bracket or mechanism to release it, but found it unnecessary. My skinny arms reach right in and can pop it open convetionally.

3) Pins. Need them. According to me you do anyway. I can also make a short stlye hood in CF that retains the header panel which will not flutter as much. Still, I highly recommend pins.

4) Bludge. Ok, who is going to get one for me and send it to me? Yeah, nobody smile.gif So no bulgie.

Edited by MrDisibility, 23 June 2004 - 10:22 AM.

87crxdx

id be interested if the price is much lower then the CF hood, can we pick up the hoods to save on shipping? would u mind? theres quite a few members from UK is there a way they good give u specs of the buldge or something. just an idea

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
As far as the latch goes, like Mr D said the factory latch still works. I put a bicycle brake cable to the secondary latch and down under the bumper so I don't have to reach under to undo it. I just added the flush hood locks, thanks Marcus. I drove without them for a couple of weeks with no problem, a little flapping but minor.
Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
flush hood locks?
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I don't have pics of mine yet but look at audioCraz's, He has had them on his car for awhile.
Glen

Edited by 76kcfdeng, 23 June 2004 - 11:44 AM.

user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (MrDisibility @ Jun 23 2004, 10:22 AM)

2) Latch, same as the CF hood. Utilizes the factory latch. You pop the hood from inside the car, and reach under the hood to release it. I have had visions of fabricating some bracket or mechanism to release it, but found it unnecessary. My skinny arms reach right in and can pop it open convetionally.

3) Pins. Need them. According to me you do anyway. I can also make a short stlye hood in CF that retains the header panel which will not flutter as much. Still, I highly recommend pins.

4) Bludge. Ok, who is going to get one for me and send it to me? Yeah, nobody smile.gif So no bulgie.

hey mr. d, im extremely sorry if this is starting to piss you off, but do you think you could estimate a price for the f'glass hoods. i understand that you haven't done it yet but you think you could maybe just estimate. so that those of us who want them know how much we need to save up. if you don't know around how much then thats cool. but hey anyways just keep up the awesome work. thanks for you time and help.

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (DSK 86CRX @ Jun 23 2004, 08:09 PM)
QUOTE (MrDisibility @ Jun 23 2004, 10:22 AM)

hey mr. d, im extremely sorry if this is starting to piss you off, but do you think you could estimate a price for the f'glass hoods. i understand that you haven't done it yet but you think you could maybe just estimate. so that those of us who want them know how much we need to save up. if you don't know around how much then thats cool. but hey anyways just keep up the awesome work. thanks for you time and help.

No worries....I am working on the price still....

demon2180

I can get you an e-mail adress for this guy in FL that sells cb 1 piece (hood+header) hoods for i think it was $250 +$125 shipping he also sells oem style cb hoods
user posted imageshift light offuser posted imageshift light on heheh
user posted imageSportInjectedClub

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
What is a cb hood? Is that like for truckers with big radios?
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"