My New Project *long*

• You cannot reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Turbocharged 1997 Civic CX HB, and currently rebuilding an '85 crx
Well I've finially got my hands on a crx, something I've been trying to do since I turned 16. When I got the car it was in dire shape, the roof had been cut out by someone wanting to install a removable sunroof ohmy.gif mad.gif a lower control arm rusted off the frame and needs to be relocated, the car had been primered grey, had a rusted out hood, the front bumper was 90% gone, and the rear bumper was cracked in about 80 places. So needless to say I picked it up (running and running decently mind you) for 75 bucks, just to cover the cost of the clutch he had just installed.

Hood and Front Bumper
Rear
Torn up roof

So just to get rid of the primer, and to get my neighbors to quit complaining about the trashed car sitting in front of our house, a friend and I spray caned it white, then painted some blue flames on it lol. tongue.gif

Side shot of flames
Hood with flames

Well I came home this weekend from college and started to work on it cause spring is here and I've been bit by the car bug just like every spring. So I tore out the interior (dash, seats, trim panels, and carpet) and I've began working on replacing/repainting most of the parts.

I'm using the technique someone posted on another board I read, with fiberglass, to replace the torn up carpet. It'll be painted white just like the outside of the car (which, don't worry, the outside will be repainted this summer after I get some $$$$$) The rest of the interior pieces are being painted white as well. The dash came out to mold in a tv screen where the pocket normally is.

Dash all torn out
Everythings gone!
Primered Parts

But I've come across a problem while painting. After primering and sanding everything, today the temperature here in Ohio DROPPED. Wanting to get as much done before I headed back up to school, I went ahead and painted a few parts, but there are weird cracks in the paint now. Was this caused from the temp? Maybe bad sanding? Maybe the paint was bad? More importantly is there anyway to get rid of these cracks?

Cracked Paint
Cracked Paint

Sorry for the long post, its the first time I've talked to anyone about my project and I've just come across the paint problems. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Nick

crxmobber

• Mobbin Clean
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, 85 CRX Si, 98 prelude, 5th Gen VFR, WRX
    • Image Gallery
hey that car looks like it has the mugen kit on it. You should get a 97 civic ex glass sunroof and custom weld it on the roof. if you do it right that car will actually be pretty cool.

SportInjectedClub

tjbizzo

• pumice my corns
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si Crapmobile
OH......MY......GOD! He completely scalped the poor bastard! Unless you weld in a cage or LOTS of reinforcement, that chassis is gonna be flimsy like a wet noodle. And hella dangerous in a crash too. Sorry to sound critical but that thing will be a death trap if you don't strengthen the frame properly.

Posted Image

nivek2002

HOLY SHIT!!!! Thats an original Mugen body kit your painting flames on!!!! im in tears!!!!!

Where are you located???? Ill come and give you 200$ right now

AHHHHHH Im in shock!!!

ohmy.gif

Edited by nivek2002, 13 April 2004 - 06:35 PM.

ol'skoolrex_PH

• Street Racer
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Ballade CRX, 87 CRX Si, 95 Civic
wow... that's a Mugen kit - that's pretty rad man... good luck on this project.. also if you want a new roof I have 2 of them, one with sunroof one without.
anything else you need just let me know

also I'd like to know who and how the fuck messed up that Aero kit... I am very close to tears right now! someone comfort me! (ps I'm a girl if this makes it easier for you guys)

Edited by ol'skoolrex_PH, 13 April 2004 - 09:49 PM.

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (ol'skoolrex_PH @ Apr 13 2004, 09:39 PM)
wow... that's a Mugen kit - that's pretty rad man... good luck on this project.. also if you want a new roof I have 2 of them, one with sunroof one without.
anything else you need just let me know

also I'd like to know who and how the fuck messed up that Aero kit... I am very close to tears right now! someone comfort me! (ps I'm a girl if this makes it easier for you guys)

im here for you.

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
LOL. You could've skipped the jokes and sold that kit for ALOT of money! That wide body Mugen kit with crap enamel blue flames is now wrecked- good luck restoring it!!
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

CRXdan

HOLY GEEEZUS!
ARE U NUTZ?
Thats a mugen widebody kit!
Check the motor, is it upgraded?
OMG i cant belive this....
wait till some of the toehr members find out, theyre gona flip!
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

ol'skoolrex_PH

• Street Racer
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Ballade CRX, 87 CRX Si, 95 Civic
QUOTE (DSK 86CRX @ Apr 13 2004, 09:51 PM)
im here for you.

oh yes! and you're in cali... wink.gif

Tomoyo

happy.gif Whether you know it or not, you own one of the most rare and sought after aftermarket 1g CRX parts right there. The holy grail of CRX body design..that Mugen body kit. Only now are they starting to make repros of it..and as great as they are, they're not the original (And they're damned expensive, too!)..Be very careful with that!! I'm sure you could get far more for just that kit then you payed for for the car. happy.gif
user posted image

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
Part out the car, put the flares up for sale for 500 bucks on ebay and call it a day...

that car is officialy JUNK....

to the guys flipping out above... that kit is so wrecked its not even worth the man hours... the front fenders look to be the only salvage able part anyways....

seems you guys would kill for a broke mugen kit

go figure.

{edit} apon further staring the front and rear flares on the drivers side look salvage able along with the side skirt...

to the orignal poster, take them off... sell them on ebay for a rediculas price... then scrap that car or turn it into a field car, the chassis is tweaked.

Edited by CRX8Grand, 14 April 2004 - 01:17 AM.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
nivek2002 - sorry not for sale and I'm located in Ohio.

ol'skoolrex_PH - How much are you looking for the sunroof roof? Do you have any front or rear bumpers?

boman - how is it wrecked? All you'd have to do is 2 days worth of work and you'd have it back and unpainted again. So how is it wrecked?

CRXdan - Sorry guys I didn't know it was a kit, I thought it was just normal body parts. I wouldn't know the difference if they were sititng side by side. The only thing in upgraded in the motor, is someone cut the air filter box for a "cold air" type thing, and theres an MSD blaster. Thats it as far as I can see.

CRX8Grand - I don't think I want to sell the kit, I'll be keeping it.

Also, why would I want to get rid of the car? Sure it'll be a little work, but it'll be worth it to me. The only major part wrong with it is the roof, and damn I can take that to my body shop and have them fix it for less than 50 dollars I'm sure (without paint of course).

I just don't understand why you would give up on something so easily?

Nick

JDN14

Where in Ohio are you located and which school? Im curious to meet other people restoring 1g's. I go to OSU (i live in the dorms but go home to work on weekends outside of dayton). All i ever see is 2nd gens!! I need to meet more 1g people.
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

nivek2002

Well yes the car is fixable, but with the roof cut out like that on a unibody car its really messing with ridgidity, the car will never be the same IMO

t25_civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (JDN169 @ Apr 14 2004, 10:59 AM)
Where in Ohio are you located and which school?  Im curious to meet other people restoring 1g's.  I go to OSU (i live in the dorms but go home to work on weekends outside of dayton).  All i ever see is 2nd gens!! I need to meet more 1g people.

JDN169 - I live in Marysville, which is right outside of Dublin, but I goto school at Toledo University. I'm sure over the summer, we could hook up and work on cars lol. I'm always willing to drive to work on cars wink.gif

nivek2002 - what about rewelding in supports after to roof is fixed? I'm not to worried about the car being perfect as long as its not going to basically fall in on me while driving. I can understand the factor about if it was ever wrecked, but what about just normal driving with supports welded in? Possibly even a roll cage?

Nick