• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
For those of you doing a D16A1 swap take note...

the Integra and CRX radius arms are the SAME LENGTH.

The old one is a CRX radius arm, the shiny new one is a brand new 86-89 Integra radius arm

The only difference I could tell was that the ball joint goes into the radius arm at a different angle.

The Integra has the ball joint go in at a "negative camber" angle, whereas the CRX is more neutral. This is based on where the ball joint attaches to the knuckle. the difference is ON THE KNUCKLE.
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Very interesting. Now someone needs to measure up a stock CRX knuckle and a teg knuckle.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
i have both, side by side. the integra one just looks beefier, thats about it. the only difference that i can see is that the angle of the ball joint is different, and the strut arm *might* be longer. not as easy to measure, or photograph

here are a couple photos i have though:

CRX Knuckle

Teg Knuckle
Shawn
--------

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
when the rain dies down, i will go out and take more pix of the knuckles. at all kinds of angles.

the digicam is new to me, so its a new toy smile.gif i like playing with electronics toys smile.gif

Edited by shadowboy, 19 January 2004 - 11:58 AM.

Shawn
--------

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
Just curious, but did you actually measure the distance from the torsion arm mounting holes to the ball joint center?

I did last year when I wanted to find out exactly how the extra track width is attained from the CRX/Civic to the Integra. It was hard to determine exactly but it sure seemed to me like it was close to 0.3 in. difference between my stock CRX arms and the brand new Integra arms that I got from the Acura dealer.

Additionally, I even took the time to mount and measure both of them on the car. Using the same upright in both attempts I measured a difference between the two of about 0.60 in. I was trying to find the best way to get my max track with different wheel offsets and wheel spacer combinations.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Jan 19 2004, 11:45 AM)
Just curious, but did you actually measure the distance from the torsion arm mounting holes to the ball joint center?

I did last year when I wanted to find out exactly how the extra track width is attained from the CRX/Civic to the Integra. It was hard to determine exactly but it sure seemed to me like it was close to 0.3 in. difference between my stock CRX arms and the brand new Integra arms that I got from the Acura dealer.

i got closer to .250" when i measured them(87 integra arm vs 87 civic si arm).
but the integra ones were longer.

additionally all the radius arms i've gotten through acura have been powdercoated black.

is the arm in the picture a reman? or aftermarket piece?

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (sspcivic31 @ Jan 19 2004, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Jan 19 2004, 11:45 AM)

i got closer to .250" when i measured them(87 integra arm vs 87 civic si arm).
but the integra ones were longer.

additionally all the radius arms i've gotten through acura have been powdercoated black.

is the arm in the picture a reman? or aftermarket piece?

its a reman. i did a quick (but imprecise, all i had to use was a tape measure) measurement of BOTH cars. teg knuckle with radius arm in integra, and CRX knuckle with radius arm in the CRX. i found no difference.

the first picture was not the only comparison. i also put the 2 vertically (with the ball joint and rear end of the radius arms on the floor) and the bend in the arm came to the same height.

its hard to measure the distance of a curved arm with any accuracy anyway. if you wanna make a more precise (but educated) comparison. measure from the bolts where the radius arm bolts to the torsion bar lever arm. the measurements i made indicated that the integra t-bar arm was the same length as the CRX, so if there is any track differences, the integra radius arm would have the ball joint further from where the radius arm bolts to the torsion bar arm.

i may investigate this further.

someone on the g1 teg board says that they are the same length. ive seen, and heard, conflicting information.

Edited by shadowboy, 19 January 2004 - 01:06 PM.

Shawn
--------

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
its a reman.

That ‘could’ explain the fact that you found no difference. Did you get this part from a local parts store? I have found that they list the exact same part number for the two cars. When I got the new ones I mentioned, I got them from an Acura dealer. Then I compared them to a spare CRX one I had at home and found the difference in length. A very small difference, but they were longer.

I’m not really trying to start anything but I know there is a difference in the track width of the two vehicles. I cannot remember exactly what it is right now but it’s less than an inch from what I recall.

That’s why I did all that measuring last year. I wanted to know just where that extra track width actually came from.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I know that in 2001 when they protested Robert Carpenter's GS 85 CRX, one of the parts they had for 'comparison' was a brand new factory Integra radius arm and a brand new factory CRX radius arm, and the difference was obvious enough that the protest committee didn't have to disassemble his suspension to verify that he had the correct CRX parts on the car. I've always heard that the effective difference is around .25 - .3 inches.

-Chris

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Jan 19 2004, 02:54 PM)
its a reman.

That ‘could’ explain the fact that you found no difference. Did you get this part from a local parts store? I have found that they list the exact same part number for the two cars. When I got the new ones I mentioned, I got them from an Acura dealer. Then I compared them to a spare CRX one I had at home and found the difference in length. A very small difference, but they were longer.

I’m not really trying to start anything but I know there is a difference in the track width of the two vehicles. I cannot remember exactly what it is right now but it’s less than an inch from what I recall.

That’s why I did all that measuring last year. I wanted to know just where that extra track width actually came from.

Jay

from what i can see, all the track width difference i see is in the knuckle.

the arm that goes to the strut sleeve on the knuckle is slightly longer on the teg, and the brake assembly is slightly thicker.

however, i could be wrong.

i will go back to the parts store and have them crossreference the aftermarket part numbers to see if they are indeed the same.

Edited by shadowboy, 19 January 2004 - 05:12 PM.

Shawn
--------

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
I agree with Shadowboy. I was the one that probably posted on the G1 Teg site that they are the same. I have both crossmembers form an 87 CRX and 86 Teg to compare. I did the same and put them side by each and the only visual difference was possibly the ball joint angle and even that was hard to tell.

Both arms fit perfectly on either crossmember which indicates that the swing arm mount points are identical as is the length which I measured. It seems quite obvious that if there is a different length it is in from the disc cover outward on Shadowboy's pictures.

I also checked part numbers and since I didn't keep the Teg # or the posted info url I can only say that the main difference in the numbers was one letter and I make an assumption Honda did that to distinquish between vehicle brands for their own purposes. This is the 87 CRX part # 51315-SB-013 and I think only the SB was different. FWIW

Just another interesting conundrum to get strightened out. JS

Found the other post. Acura Integra rad arm part # 51361 SD2 003 Notice the last 5 digits. Now the Integra number was for a 4 door and I don't know if that is why it's 003 vs 013.

Edited by strudel, 19 January 2004 - 11:12 PM.

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Just another interesting note. I just checked at Parts Source about the part numbers for an 87 CRX vs 86-89 Integra control arm and they are identical. So if the aftermarket recommends the same part for both cars there should not be any difference. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.