Crx Driveshafts

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

87ClubRed

• Soon it'll scream...for now, just a hum...
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Mazda 3 GT / 87 CRX Si (Going under the knife)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I just wanted to see if my new tires are balanced, so I decided to turn the car out....then the noise...clunk!! I limped into my mechanic and we lifted her up. Passenger side drive shaft loose at the wheel. Driverside loose in the middle where they connect. Pasenge side control arm loose at the wheel. Good news, I know what the noise is. Bad news, I can't drive the car till i fork out at least $900 for repairs (not incl. control arm), and that might not fix it all.

Is this project something that I should even look at doing myself, or should I leave it up to the pro's. I don't even have a garage to work in, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has gone through this.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
CV Shafts are easy to do, I did mine in 35 mins with my air tools and at work. They also only cost $65ish with my discount, you wouldn't be looking at paying more than $100 per side in parts. As for the control arm, we have spares, and we can hook you up, so you won't have to pay for it. Hell, man, I could do the work for you if you really wanted, I am the pro's. I've done control arms and axles all before. Let me know.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
CV Shafts are easy to do

Have I got the terms wrong. Is a cv shaft the same as the drive shaft. How come you can get so cheap, compared to the $150-200 / side for parts that my mech. quoted me.

And yes, I'd like you to do them.... biggrin.gif....jk..

Edited by 87ClubRed, 01 April 2004 - 10:10 PM.

nivek2002

900$ !!!!!! Like Rampage said an axle can be like 30-50$ at a junkyard and not more than 100$ new. We can hook you up with alot of the parts. Good Luck!

Simple87Si

i got my passenger side axle done at my mechanic for 75 bucks.. parts and labor..
user posted image

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
What motor do you have? I don't know why he quoted you so high, mechanic markup... how long have you known the guy?

And seriously, I can do them for you if you want.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1991 Civic Sedan DX (HAHA my parts hauler)
your parts from your machanic cost more than ours because your mechanic JACK UP THE PRICES. I know these things i work at a shop. Have rampage do them.

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
It's a Si. D15a engine.

And where/when/how? Anything/everything's better then that price.

nivek2002

I dont know if they deliver to you but i have had good luck with Advanced Auto online.

see if this works HERE

if not just go through the steps

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, I would have to look at the car to see just how bad it is, if you wanted you could drop by the shop (midas on kingsway and imperial)

Then we could do the work after hours or even at my place, it doesn't matter (the shop would be faster and easier, but I don't know if they would let me use it for my own jobs... at any rate, if its just a suspension piece and a couple axles it would only take a few hours.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

87ClubRed

• PipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, I would have to look at the car to see just how bad it is, if you wanted you could drop by the shop (midas on kingsway and imperial)

That's kinda funny, cause Midas is who gave me the $900 quote (Kingsway and 22nd). Either way, I'm in Richmond today (work) and I won't get back till your shop is closed. If you work tomorrow though I can bring it by...or early next week. What ever works best for you.

Thanks,
Jeff