My Engine Is Weak Over 5800 Rpm

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

More&Faster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si
my car pulls well up to about 5800 and it quickly loses steam. itll pull all the way to redline, just not hard at all. i just replaced the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter. is this normal? btw its an 85 si. the engine burns oil too so maybe theres a correlation...? should this engine pull all the way to redline or what?
user posted image

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1991 Civic Sedan DX (HAHA my parts hauler)
Being that it burns oil that means that you have lost some compression. That is your problem

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The D15 Stock doesn't pull particularily hard around 6000 rpm and up, you are just noticing the normal powerband dropoff.... you still want to rev up to 6500, beause if you don't you will shift out of your powerband.... if you bring it to 6500 and shift, you end up right there with power.

If you want to remedy the situation and have it pull all the way to 6500, advance your timing, which effectively give you that top end (and just a smidgen more) power, at the sacrafice of low end drivability, thought not particularly a lot, if all you do is advance timing.

I would also suggest running a higher (if not premium) octane fuel.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

More&Faster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
werd. i got 91 in there now. ill check the compression next weekend and see whats up. maybe ill try advancing the timing a bit too.
user posted image

More&Faster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
oh ya and theres one other problem. i guess stock tire size is 175/60/13 and i have 165/70/13s on there now. does anyone know the conversion for my actual speed? cause i know its slightly off. (arg i need new tires these ones blow)
user posted image

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Stock tire size for an Si is 185/60R-14.

Stock tire size for all non-Si cars is 175/70R-13

How did you manage to get 13's on your Si?

Get some 185 or 195/60R-14s, or better yet, 195 or 205/50R-15's

No matter what your speed-o is going to be out by a smidge, unless you use the stock tire size, I personally would not worry about it.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

87ClubRed

• Soon it'll scream...for now, just a hum...
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Mazda 3 GT / 87 CRX Si (Going under the knife)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
does anyone know the conversion for my actual speed? cause i know its slightly off. (arg i need new tires these ones blow)

Try this...

Tire Calculator

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thats a really handy link!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

More&Faster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (87ClubRed @ Mar 28 2004, 10:23 PM)
Stock tire size for an Si is 185/60R-14.

Stock tire size for all non-Si cars is 175/70R-13

How did you manage to get 13's on your Si?

Get some 185 or 195/60R-14s, or better yet, 195 or 205/50R-15's

No matter what your speed-o is going to be out by a smidge, unless you use the stock tire size, I personally would not worry about it.

Cheers,
Mark

weird you should say that. 85 Si's came with 13" alloys. in the doorwell it where it says tire pressures it stated the tires as 175/60/13. my older 85 si with steel wheels also had 13s.

Edited by More&Faster, 28 March 2004 - 11:07 PM.

user posted image

CRXdan

My 87 si stock had no power above 5800. I put a 4-1 header, reworked bigger exhaust pipes, high flow muffler and it pulled to 65-6800 fairly strong...
I did lose lowend torque however.
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

More&Faster

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (CRXdan @ Mar 28 2004, 11:10 PM)
My 87 si stock had no power above 5800. I put a 4-1 header, reworked bigger exhaust pipes, high flow muffler and it pulled to 65-6800 fairly strong...
I did lose lowend torque however.

thank you thats good info smile.gif
user posted image

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (More&Faster @ Mar 28 2004, 08:03 PM)
weird you should say that.  85 Si's came with 13" alloys.  in the doorwell it where it says tire pressures it stated the tires as 175/60/13. my older 85 si with steel wheels also had 13s.

Perhaps that is 86-87 Si's that came with 14" alloys... or maybe even the USDM came with smaller alloys from 84-85 than the CDM versions.

Interesting indeed.

Cheers,
Mark

Edited by Rampage, 29 March 2004 - 02:00 AM.

SportInjectedClub

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Yea My 85si came stock with 13 inch alloys too, its got some beautiful gunmetal 15 spilstreams wrapped in eagle F1's now though biggrin.gif

JDN14

my 85 si came with 13's. It's good to see the 85 si and columbus gang growing at the same time.
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Rampage @ Mar 29 2004, 01:59 AM)
QUOTE (More&Faster @ Mar 28 2004, 08:03 PM)

weird you should say that.  85 Si's came with 13" alloys.  in the doorwell it where it says tire pressures it stated the tires as 175/60/13.   my older 85 si with steel wheels also had 13s.

Perhaps that is 86-87 Si's that came with 14" alloys... or maybe even the USDM came with smaller alloys from 84-85 than the CDM versions.

Interesting indeed.

Cheers,
Mark

86-87 have 14'' but 13's fit just fine too