• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
My CRX is a dream come true, I am so happy with the way it has turned out and all the enjoyment it has given me. But after 12 years of incremental improvement it is essentially "finished. " I know, I know, I should never declare a car project to be completed. But in this case there is close to nothing left for me to do to this car except drive the snot out of it... and I do that every chance I get.

So my mind wanders to the next project car. I want it to be relatively light and nimble, but this time I want some good old-fashioned V8 grunt. A Cobra kit car is sort of what I want, but they are a dime a dozen out here in LA. A Fox body Mustang would be fun, but that's been done so many times before. A Fairmont coupe would be different, but I might as well stick with the Mustang.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Fords. Dad and Grandpa had owned a long line of cool Fords and the early Mustang was the car that gave me my first automotive woody. So some sort of Ford would work for me. A Pantera? Too expensive. A Mk1 Capri? Too esoteric. A Mk1 Falcon? Too rare.

A Maverick! Essentially Mustang's little brother, all the cool Ford part bolt right up to a body that remained slight while Mustang bloated into the 70's.

I want an early Maverick. I would seam weld the body, add a Versailles rear axle with a Watts linkage, trailing links and coil springs in back, Granada front brakes, Mustang II front suspension, a six point cage, gutted interior and an Dart aluminum SBF with fuel injection.

Rosebud!
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
I not much of a ford fan but I'm not going to lie the Maverick is a BA car.
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
This one is badass. I have seen it at a show and the engine compartment is like no other.. Ask him to send a engine pic. It has WAYYYYYY more than his ad has listed. I like mavericks, but Unless it looked like this one, will never buy one.

http://sfbay.craigsl...2038935569.html

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
One of my favorite unusual cars is the Boss Maverick. With some suspension work, it could be a great car. Think of it as a Cosworth Chevy Vega with power.
No power . . . no weight

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
What abbout a Merkur? XR4Ti with a V8 swap. The car's not too common, but not rare enough to be stupidly priced. It's AWD and from what I understand the mounts on the 4 banger it comes with are the same as some V8s (Cosworth V8 I think) I could be wrong, I've only read mildly on the car but it seems like a nice little shell. Surprising combo from ford, but then again it is one of those cars sold just so it could be enterd into a production car Euro Ralley.

The Maverick is deffinatly an interesting looking car though.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Nov 9 2010, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What abbout a Merkur? XR4Ti with a V8 swap. The car's not too common, but not rare enough to be stupidly priced. It's AWD and from what I understand the mounts on the 4 banger it comes with are the same as some V8s (Cosworth V8 I think) I could be wrong, I've only read mildly on the car but it seems like a nice little shell. Surprising combo from ford, but then again it is one of those cars sold just so it could be enterd into a production car Euro Ralley.

Two Words. California smog mad.gif

Here in the Golden State we do not have to smog cars 1975 and under.. Or any diesels up to 1998 do not have to be smogged. So our "anything goes" platforms are diesels under 98' or 75' under cars..

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (RARECRX @ Nov 8 2010, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two Words. California smog mad.gif

Here in the Golden State we do not have to smog cars 1975 and under.. Or any diesels up to 1998 do not have to be smogged. So our "anything goes" platforms are diesels under 98' or 75' under cars..

Ah right, Cali Smog.

I always found it funny how in Cali it's OK for a cosworth to be in car X, but not in car Y that you want to put it into. Even though the engine is set up stock and will polute the same or even less than it would in the car it cam out of. And could polute less than the cars original engine considering it's newer! Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Why can't things be simple, put it on a sniffer, if it's within peramiters who gives a flying hoot what engine it is? >_>

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
A Maverick is a cool choice. Coworker used to have one with the Grabber package and a 302. The V8 was pretty anemic with all the smog claptrap, but the car probably didn't weigh much more than a current Civic sedan.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I feel your boat. I think my next car is going to be a 2nd gen Trans Am, done up pro-touring style.
Posted Image

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Nov 8 2010, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want an early Maverick. I would seam weld the body, add a Versailles rear axle with a Watts linkage, trailing links and coil springs in back, Granada front brakes, Mustang II front suspension, a six point cage, gutted interior and an Dart aluminum SBF with fuel injection T56/LSx.

Rosebud!

Fixed.

QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Nov 9 2010, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel your boat. I think my next car is going to be a 2nd gen Trans Am, done up pro-touring style.

sad.gif My brother and I high school project car, wish we had kept it

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

enduser

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si 89 jdm EF9 E55 AMG
Crap, talk about blast from the past. In HS I used to have a 74 Mercury Comet. It had a 351 Cleveland in it, disc brake conversion, Lowered on some Craigers with seats from the Fiero. That car was so much fun.

Project White Devil

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Nov 9 2010, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Maverick is deffinatly an interesting looking car though.

XR4Ti's are rwd only. come with a 2.3l turbo 4 that was also in the mustang SVO and ford turbo coupe.. i'm assuming the 302's would bolt in pretty easily, but then you destroy the handling by hanging weight off the front end only to make less power stock for stock anyways..
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
I'm NOT Laughing. smile.gif

Another consideration might be an early Mercury Capri if you can find one.
I always wanted an early Capri with a 302 V-* crammed under the hood.
We measured out my friend's Capri, and the 302 will fit.

MK

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Nov 9 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
XR4Ti's are rwd only. come with a 2.3l turbo 4 that was also in the mustang SVO and ford turbo coupe.. i'm assuming the 302's would bolt in pretty easily, but then you destroy the handling by hanging weight off the front end only to make less power stock for stock anyways..

Wierd, I'm wondering where I got my misinformation from... Perhapse I was somehow confusing it for the AWD option of the Sierra in Europe?

eric87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF W/ Si motor R.I.P, 1985 Si w/ D16A1, 1996 Neon
    Garage View Garage
I love the old mavericks, my mom had one as far back as i could remember but got rid of it and when i was about 10-11 i went to the track once with my buddy and his dad and he had a suped up maverick, dont remember what it ran for the quarter but it stood up on its back wheels like nothing i had ever seen at the time...bad ass to say the least

What He Said /\/\/\