Port And Polish Throttle Body

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

tyrone

i have just got a port and polished throttle body just wondered if it will make any difference if i put it on or will it just burn more fuel.

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If it is done properly, primary opened all the way, you should feel a little difference. I did mine and was happy with it. You should get better mileage unless you have your foot in it all the time.
Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

tyrone

QUOTE (76kcfdeng @ Oct 1 2004, 12:57 PM)
If it is done properly, primary opened all the way, you should feel a little difference. I did mine and was happy with it. You should get better mileage unless you have your foot in it all the time.
Glen

its been opened up by 3mm its still got the same butterfly thing inside

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
It won't run without "the butterfly thing". Except like it's at full throttle anyway!

A little flow trick.
Take out the stock screws holding the throttle plates (butterfly things) to the throttle shafts. Go down to a GOOD hardware store (I got mine at ACE) and find some allen head screws with the same thread pitch. The screws I used had a slightly rounded top to them, sometimes called a buttonhead screw I believe. Carefully grind them down so that when they are installed they do not protrude from the back side of the throttle shaft. Put them in just a bit loose and snap the throttle a few times to make sure that the plates are centered correctly. Then take them out one at a time and reinstall them with Loctite. Do each one seperately, it alleviates potential problems.

Make sure there is no oil or fuel on the screw or in the threads on the throttle shaft. Loctite doesn't work so well if it's not clean.

This is an OOOOOOOLD hot-rodders trick from way back.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

tyrone

QUOTE (jsgprod @ Oct 1 2004, 04:33 PM)
It won't run without "the butterfly thing". Except like it's at full throttle anyway!

A little flow trick.
Take out the stock screws holding the throttle plates (butterfly things) to the throttle shafts. Go down to a GOOD hardware store (I got mine at ACE) and find some allen head screws with the same thread pitch. The screws I used had a slightly rounded top to them, sometimes called a buttonhead screw I believe. Carefully grind them down so that when they are installed they do not protrude from the back side of the throttle shaft. Put them in just a bit loose and snap the throttle a few times to make sure that the plates are centered correctly. Then take them out one at a time and reinstall them with Loctite. Do each one seperately, it alleviates potential problems.

Make sure there is no oil or fuel on the screw or in the threads on the throttle shaft. Loctite doesn't work so well if it's not clean.

This is an OOOOOOOLD hot-rodders trick from way back.

Jay

what does it do

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
Look straight on into your throttle body and hold the throttle fully open. See how fat those two screw heads that hold the butterflys on are? Also, do you see how much the other end of those same screws protrude from the throttle shaft?

Now take a look at the size of the hole that all of that is sitting in. The throttle bore in other words. If you were to make the screws smaller you would remove some airflow restriction. It's small percentage thing but it is something.

You probably won't notice any big improvement from the seat of your pants dyno but believe me it will affect your airflow into the manifold.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

boosted_zc

• In need of anger management
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 91 Turbo ZC Civic Hatch,95 4X4 Sonoma
Well if the throttle body was bored 3mm over but you still have the same butterfly shaft then it wasn't bored all the way thorough, meaning you probably won't feel any difference. A true ported throttle body would have been bored all the way through and then replaced the smaller butterfly with a larger one to fit the new hole.

But a ported throttle body is one of those mods you never getfull performance out of until the components down the line are upgraded. For instance putting that throttle body on a ported intake matched with a ported head, then you'll feel the true performance of that upgrade. So don't feel discouraged if you don't feel a big improvement.
If it has an engine....i will tear it apart.

90 Civic Si
87 CRX DX !!SOLD!!
91 Civic Hatch w/ turbo ZC
95 Sonoma 4X4
02 CRV (the wifey's)

76kcfdeng

• Go big or go home!
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 06 EVO,85crxSI,03ford f250 diesel,75 landcruiser, 76 280z race car,2006 nissan frontier
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
On our stock tb you can gain by porting before the butterflies. If you look at it the primary is much smaller before the butterfly. Look at my pics in the gallery and you will see. Boosted zc, check before you speak, most tbs that would be true, not ours.
Tyrone , put it on, it is an easy job and you will feel a difference. As I said before look at my pics and make sure yours is similar.
Glen
user posted image

user posted image
SportInjectedClub

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yup the boys are right on the money.
I ported the primary to match the butterfly. I noticed a nice gain at the top end.
the motor now pulls right to redline with out any problem.
I used a dremel and cut a good portion of the material away then ported and polished.
Someone here has a how-to on this mod.

Aaron636

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 04' Street Bike, 01' Excursion and working on the 87' CRX
I should do a port and polish while I have down time this week. Whats the average port and polish job run?

boosted_zc

• In need of anger management
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 91 Turbo ZC Civic Hatch,95 4X4 Sonoma
QUOTE (76kcfdeng @ Oct 3 2004, 06:20 PM)
On our stock tb you can gain by porting before the butterflies. If you look at it the primary is much smaller before the butterfly. Look at my pics in the gallery and you will see. Boosted zc, check before you speak, most tbs that would be true, not ours.                             
Tyrone , put it on, it is an easy job and you will feel a difference. As I said before look at my pics and make sure yours is similar.
Glen

oh i'm sorry all mighty master. First my reference was directed to a single butterfly throttle body, where my statement is abso-fucking-lutley correct. But yours is also correct in those goofy ass primary-secondary tb's. So don't start any high and mighty shit smart ass.
If it has an engine....i will tear it apart.

90 Civic Si
87 CRX DX !!SOLD!!
91 Civic Hatch w/ turbo ZC
95 Sonoma 4X4
02 CRV (the wifey's)