K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
385 replies to this topic

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage

We got the K Tuned relocation kit installed and also increased the size of the bolt from the 8mm included to 10mm.  we also noticed the bolt does not go into the water pump housing very deep so we are going to source a 120mm instead of the included 110mm length. 

changed a few other things today.  RDX thermostat so the outlet points down instead of up and a modified TSX water manifold.  The one on the JDM K24a has a provision the EGR and is much larger.  This one has the heater water port welded shut, since I do not use the heater.  Water temp sensor installed and the block bracket for the passenger side mount.

didn’t get as far as we hoped du to the work on the K Tuned kit and alternator.  Next we will get the motor off the stand and put the flywheel, clutch and trans together so it’s ready to go into the car.

No worries re the RDX thermostat. Just want to make I understand correctly. Some of the architecture and nomenclature is unfamiliar to me. And I have no idea re possible interchangeability issues.

On the “water manifold”. I picked that up from your post above about using one from the TSX. I’m assuming it’s what Honda calls the “water passage” which has the water pump mounted on one side and the thermostat on the other. If I understood what you meant, I’m looking for confirmation an RDX thermostat will mate properly with a TSX water manifold / passage.

Thanks for your patience CSP
Bob

CSPCRX

Yes it will mount to the CRV and TSX no trouble

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Jesus2088

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 85 Crx Si, 2022 Gr86
I'm having a issues with my AFK hasport mounts. I'm using a 05 tsx k24 and a 03 (apg6) transmission, from and accord.my issue is the rear mount and the driver side mount don't line with the existing holes. Any suggestions on how to get it to work

CSPCRX

That trans has a different mounting holes. The initial AFK kit was made for the RSX and similar transmissions.  The TSX, Accord and some others, like Z motor transmissions, have different mounting holes and require a different transmission mount and rear mount.  

I spoke to Brian and he said to email pictures to [email protected]. They will help you out.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Jesus2088

• Granny
  • Pip
I'll do that. Thanks for the help.

Jesus2088

• Granny
  • Pip

so, I emailed them at the email address you gave me abd they told me that the AFK kit only works with the RSX and the Si transmission. but on the description is said it works with the TSX and accord. i ordered the mounts day one so there was no drop-down box i could select to choose which transmission i was using. is there going to be one made for the TSX and Accord or am i out luck and have to buy a new trans

CSPCRX

The kit was originally designed for the RSX and Civic transmission, yes.  Brian said, in one of the videos, that he was going to start building the TSX / Accord style. 

he asked me to have you email him directly at [email protected].  He is out of state right now but said he will get back to you by Monday 

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic si. 01 Integra Type R

Part number for the belt you used?  Also is this part number correct for idler pulley the kTD-KPE-24?  Or the -20?

Will the Stock JDM k24a tensioner work?

Thank you, I'll have more questions as I go.. Finally getting back on the Civic.

CSPCRX

I switched my water pump housing to a CRV for a couple of reasons.  The JDM water pump housing is unique to the JDM motors.  The alternator is also different and mounts on the housing very differently.  By going to the USDM CRV water pump housing you have more alternator options and they are easier to find.  Like I am running a Civic Si alternator on mine.  

That looks like the correct part number.  You will notice they also have a bracket if your using the JDM water pump housing.

I used the K-Tuned idler pulley and accessory belt.  Belt length will be dictated by the crank pulley you are using.  I am running a smaller pulley to match the alternator so we had to find a belt length that worked.  I can get that if you end up with a similar setup.

tensioner should be fine I don’t recall there being a difference.  I changed mine because it was a fairly inexpensive part and easy to change with the motor out.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thanks! I'm going to copy paste what you did just to make this easy as possible.. I don't like being confused on part selection, I literally get obsessed searching for answers when I should be productive else where ha.. or wasting money on parts that are wrong.

- CRV water pump housing from 02-06 correct?

- EP3 Alternator

- Which crank pulley are you using? Is there a budget option that is similar size in case your using ATI or something $$$

- What part number is your belt?

- I'll go ahead and get a new OEM tensioner from a 04-08 TSX

CSPCRX

This link may help you and others.  They posted full details on the VTEC Academy site.

http://vtec.academy/...crx-parts-list/

02-06 CRV housing correct. Mine was off an 05 and had a brand new water pump on it.

It’s their K20 no AC and no power steering but don’t see the size numbers on it.  I will work on that

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thanks! I've been working off that list to gather my questions.. I didn't even know it existed until last week ha.

Ok I'll look for a oem style k20 pulley with no ps/ac.

I noticed the type s oil pump comes in a kit. Seems like just ordering the parts yourself from a acura parts warehouse is cheaper, save that money then put it towards a 4 piston one like yours. That's my plan.

K20 Oil pump hardware:

K20A2 Oil Pump Assembly -15100-PRB-A01  $209.52
K20A2 Windage Tray - 11211-PNC-000  $32.11
Windage Tray bolts (x6) - 95701-06014-08  $6.12
K20A2 Oil Pump Chain - 13441-PCX-004  $53.17
K20A2 Oil Pump Chain Guide - 13460-PNC004  $13.58
K20A2 Oil Pump Chain Tensioner - 13450-RAA-A02  $123.61  ( Do not need if using k24a/a2 tensioner) Not added to cost
K20A2 Oil Pump Hardware:
(x1) 95701-06025-08  $1.12
(x1) 95701-08050-08  $1.55
(x1) 95701-08075-08  $1.80
Washer-90401-PE2-003   $2.96
Oil Feed Bolt plug-90004-PE2-005  $4.22

$326.15

-- without oil pump if using 4piston - $116.63

4piston oil pump (trimmed and setup for 12k rpm)

$345

If using 4 piston oil pump -- $461 total for kit.

Edited by na-spirit, 24 November 2023 - 05:17 AM.

CSPCRX

Since I track my car I opted for the 4 pistons version.  Overkill for the RPMs I am running but every little bit helps when your pushing the limits.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

na-spirit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Yep! If it helps my reliability I'm doing it. I plan on using Skunk2 tuner 3's as for the price they have good lift/duration. So ideally I'd like to make power closer to 9k if my guides/chain allows that..

Here's a list of cams showing cost + detials. https://docs.google....dit?pli=1#gid=0

As far as intake manifold, Looks like we are stuck with the RBB do to fitment? 

CSPCRX

Nope you can run the RBC just fine.  Our mock-up motor was a K20a and had no fitment issues.

I stayed RBB since I have a K24a and wanted to keep the torque.  You drop some going to the RBC on the K24a.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily