• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

s_morrison57

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX

Hi

I have an 87 CRX and I'd like to put a higher horse power engine in it. What options do I have on hp of the different engines that will work, is there a "best engine" for this type of swap and what year donor car should I be looking for?

Any links to old write ups on the different engines that have been used?

Thanks

Finn

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

This is a list of stuff that will work, it depends on you on how much you want to spend and how you want to go about it. All is possible with enough money and time. Most here do either the DOHC ZC swaps or the B series swaps.

All swaps require wiring changes if your using the OEM style ECU

If you go turbo you will probably want a half-width radiator which you can do a search for

DOHC ZC ​(Easiest swap) see swaps section

1986-1987 Integra swap aka "Browntop swap" 1st gen DOHC ZC (Engine code: D16A1)

1988-1989 Integra swap aka "Blacktop swap" 2nd gen DOHC ZC (Engine code: D16A1)

*3rd and 4th gen DOHC ZC can be used with the same mounts, they need wiring changes though (these are JDM motors)

Modern D series swap with integra CG tranny

-mate an 88-up D series to an 86-89 integra tranny/ Integra shifter

-Uses both integra tranny mounts

-have to slightly modify engine mount (IIRC it needs a 1/4" spacer as well)

-May have to tap intermediate bolts holes into 1.6 L blocks and possibly cut and reweld the "arms" of the mount if you use the 86-89 integra intermediate shaft. 1988-1991 DOHC ZC shaft will bolt right up to the 1.6 L. Some 1.5 L have intermediate bolt holes, most don't however, but you can buy the Hush22 intermediate shaft adapter for the 1.5 L. If you buy the adapter you will have to buy an 88-91 JDM DOHC ZC intermediate shaft to make it work. On Hush22 website it claims to work with the Integra intermediate shaft but the bolt patterns are different.

Modern D series swap with Civic L3 DOHC ZC tranny (27 spline Diff)

-Requires the same slightly modified engine mount

-L3 bracket on the passenger's side complete with bracket mount to EF frame (drill out spot welds to remove)

-1984-1987 civic rear tranny mount or 1986-1989 integra rear tranny mount.

-Metal bracket has to be fabbed from the top of the L3 tranny to the top of the rear civic or integra tranny mount

-Use 1986-1989 integra axles

-Don't remember on the shifter part

*It's possible that you can use the 25 spline diff L3 tranny with the stock Civic axles

Modern D series with hydro tranny

-requires a 92-up hydro tranny

-requires a modified

-requires 96-00 rear tranny bracket

-requires Hasport D series engine mount kit

-requires either a complete hydro conversion (like I'm doing) or a cable to hydro set up

-possibility that you don't have to buy custom axles

B series swap

-can do cable or hydro tranny

-requires rear B series bracket (I think it's the 96-00 Civic SI bracket)

-requires Hasport B series kit

-requires a modified shifter

-Hasport has axles, but I have heard of people getting away with the 1986-1989 axles

F or H series H2Bswap (F series is the same for our purposes as H series)

-B series tranny, cable or Hydro (if you go hydro don't forget you need either a hydro conversion or cable to hydro set up)

-Hasport B series kit - you use the tranny mounts (not sure if you need the rear 1996-00 Civic SI rear tranny mount)

-Custom made engine mount (HCAR makes them)

-H2B kit

-requires a modified shifter

-Hasport axles or possibly use 1986-1989 integra axles

F or H series with F/H tranny (lots of work and engine oil pan sets about 3" above road)

-Pretty much a custom job (little to no aftermarket support)

-Need some sort of cable shifter

-Custom Axles

-Custom engine and tranny mounts

K series (lots of work and engine oil pan sets about 3" above road)

-Pretty much a custom job (little to no aftermarket support)

-You have to use the K series tranny because the engine spins a different direction and is on the passenger's side

-Cable shifter

-custom axles

-custom engine and tranny mounts

I am sure I missed a few things but that's the highlights, once you decide to do a swap you'll have to ask more questions. I would say research how much you want to spend and then how much horsepower you want. That will decide your engine, then decide on cable or hydro clutch and that will decide your tranny and your tranny will determine most of the mounts and what axles you use. There will be other stuff you run into like I think I read with some of the B series stuff you have to use a shorter intake manifold to clear the firewall or something like that. That is not a question for me, I'm a D series fan. Hope that Helps! -Jeremiah

CSPCRX

What he said

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

B series swaps to require a massage of the firewall to clear most intake manifold EACV units. Very close fit, and you can't get the bolts out to service them.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

sedanman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx dx 88 sedan 93 sedan
In my 87 sedan had to beat the fire wall for oem gsr manifold

For my crx it has a blox gsr manifold tight fit but no dents you canot service the iacv but yiu can pull the intake manifold in the car just by dropping the motor down loosening the mounts

Also i have done a couple timing belts on b series in theses chassis tight fit but totaly possible

Edited by sedanman, 29 October 2016 - 02:06 PM.

CSPCRX

My B16 required no firewall modification.

Now toying with the idea of a K series swap. Equal HP and TQ would be nice, really help pulling out of the turns!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

iambhooper

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA Teggy STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA Parts Car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car, I have issues!
Which allow you to run a/c?
hoop
greensboro, nc
20 F150, 17 JGC Trailhawk, 90 DA STL Racecar, 92 DA Project, 92 DA parts car, 86 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 70 MGB GT project, 73 MGB GT parts car... I may have issues!

CSPCRX

ZC

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily