Rear Brakes(aka A Topic That Has Been Beaten To Death)

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
I've read the literature. I've examined the facts. I've done my own comparisons. I've done my own swaps. I've raced extended periods of time with both setups. I still hate drum brakes.

I hate them for one, simple, yet equally irrational reason. I hate working on them. I know that shouldn't be the deciding factor, but it is. I can replace the rear disc pads on one car in about 15 minutes start to finish. I changed the rear shoes on one side of my ice racing car yesterday and it took approximately an hour or more to change them. If one should ever happen to break during a practice session or heat race, there is no way I would have the time to get it fixed before a feature race. Though the swap to discs is a pain in the ass, and aparently heavier, I will be looking for some for the ice racing car too. I guess I'm just a lazy slob at heart.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Exact reason im swaping to disc. I dont care if they are heavyer. They are more consistant and they are easyer to work on.
Posted Image

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
You guys plan on swapping in the whole teg axle or just the disk brakes? Reason I ask is because I have a whole teg rear axle in my back yard and I can't decide if I want to swap yet or not. My rear brakes don't work, and having worked on drums in the past....im not touching them again unless I am removing them for good lol.

Joseph

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
QUOTE (Stuckey85si @ Feb 10 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys plan on swapping in the whole teg axle or just the disk brakes? Reason I ask is because I have a whole teg rear axle in my back yard and I can't decide if I want to swap yet or not. My rear brakes don't work, and having worked on drums in the past....im not touching them again unless I am removing them for good lol.

Joseph

i swapped the whole axle and it works great! however i would suggest using an hf rear axle and saving lots of weight. the in axle sway bar is not worth it IMO, i would rather just use an external sway bar.
however when it comes to brakes i think the discs are worth the weight.
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I plan on swaping the HF axle and the Teg Brakes. Just gota find one, thats the last thing im lacking.
Posted Image

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Swapping shoes is a lost art. With the right tools (correct tools make all the difference in the world) and a bit of experience swapping shoes is not a big deal.

Ice racing???? How much do you use your brakes on ice? Once installed, the rear shoes should last forever.

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Feb 10 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I plan on swaping the HF axle and the Teg Brakes. Just gota find one, thats the last thing im lacking.

i wish i did but i did not wight the difference.
does any one know how much lighter the hf is than the teg axle?
did kaka?
Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 10 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the right tools (correct tools make all the difference in the world) and a bit of experience swapping shoes is not a big deal.

He's right, with the right tools (drum brake kit) it really is pretty quick and pain free. I have the right tools, they cost me $20 at princess auto (a budget tool/excess cargo place). Assuming regular maintenance, changing shoes can get pretty fast (5-10 minutes per side). It always takes me more more than 20min/side because I take my sweet time, and am needlessly picky.

Having said that, I still prefer disk brakes tongue.gif No matter how you look at it, they are easier to work on.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ive changed and fucked with my drums enough i can swap shoes in just a matter of minuets, but i still hate them.
Posted Image

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Feb 10 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive changed and fucked with my drums enough i can swap shoes in just a matter of minuets, but i still hate them.

Yeah... but you can not hate the lightness.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Mark L

QUOTE (Maine_Honda_Racer @ Feb 10 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though the swap to discs is a pain in the ass, and aparently heavier, I will be looking for some for the ice racing car too. I guess I'm just a lazy slob at heart.

Hello Ben,
Right now I am not using the rear brakes for ice racing. Only using the fronts. My Diff is welded so the car stops straight.
If you are in a turn and need the back to kick out some more, just stab on the brakes. Plus, you can get rid of all that hardware. I do miss a hand brake for putting the car on the trailer.

Mark L.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
When Mugen built their 3g race car, they used Integra rear disk brakes. They chose not to use the OE rear drum brakes, aluminum or otherwise...

..."REAR CALIPER STD. PART FOR HONDA/ACURA INTEGRA"

In the racing catalog pic above, items 179/180 (calipers) are plain old "standard parts for Honda/Acura Integras"!

They obviously thought the benefits of the disc rear brakes 'outweighed' the use of drum brakes.

The Kakabox uses the 13 lb. lighter, 1g CRX HF axle (re-fitted w/longer 'teg brake caliper bolts) w/OE '87-'89 Integra calipers/rotors.
Please read here: http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=212569
...and here: http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=215892

BTW, these links are from the Kakabox build index: http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=307594 ...lots of info there!

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (kakabox @ Feb 11 2009, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Mugen built their 3g race car, they used Integra rear disk brakes. They chose not to use the OE rear drum brakes, aluminum or otherwise...

Well, who'd a thunk it? dry.gif

For a 'track only' application, I can show you how you can have rear discs that are lighter than even the aluminum drum setup! wink.gif

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

crazy87rexsi

• A big hairy american winning machine
  • PipPip
    • Drives: To much for you pal, Ferrari...lol.......B16 1G, stock as a mofo!! ;)
    Garage View Garage
This rear brake topic always gets battled and battled.....................too heavy, to much work for "nothing"
Here it is plain and simple:
USE WHAT YOU LIKE(or nothing at all Mark L)

But my opion disc is better.
There are to many ways to acheive better braking with a disc setup and still keep weight to a minumal.(one way use the hf axle). There isn't much you can do with a drum setup to get better braking especially out of the 1g/3g. Do what you will for the rear braking of your car, but there is a reason drum brakes are almost extinct in the passenger car and disc brakes took over........they are superior. There are way less problems that can occur with disc brakes, they are safer.

(I know what I have just wrote will be critized mostly by scott but you cant escape the truth

Josh

-part of the exclusive side license plate club

qouted from CarNutCertifies
Sex should be like a Civic; slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear

Pics of Build

Build Thread

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crazy87rexsi @ Feb 11 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(I know what I have just wrote will be critized mostly by scott but you cant escape the truth

Oh heck no. If it was good enough for Mugen, it is good enough for me....

If you built a well balanced race car, then the rear brakes will certainly be "more involved" in stopping the car than a street car's rear brakes and rear disks (which are easier to work on) will be the superior choice.

Now how many of you guys have built a full race car with a better weight distribution?

I have never tried to deny the superiority of disk brakes in every respect over drums... except in one regard- A car with 60% of its static weight in the front will not find much (if any) advantage of switching to heavier rear disks.

If you guys like rear disks, go for it.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function