Stock Top Hats And Race Dampers

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

I took the camber plates off and reinstalled the stock top hats and the strut bar.  I had a measured -2 degrees camber in the front with that arrangement and I think that's sufficient for the Toyos I have on the car now.

They worked fine with the Tokico Illuminas I had before but the stock top hats weren't strong enough for the Medieval Pro dampers.  On the right side, the inner metal sleeve was completely ripped out of the bushing, and on the right side, the rubber was pushed about halfway out of the sleeve. This was after one slow run and one faster one.

Clearly I need to fix that issue if I'm going to run stock style top hats.  I don't think spherical bearings are legal in Street Prepared unless they are part of a camber plate setup, so I'll need to figure something else out.

I'm thinking of installing an extra wide washer over the strut shaft on the underside of the top hat so that any upward force is diverted to the bushing shell rather than directly onto the rubber part (the washer that came with the Tein dampers is not a large enough diameter and that's why what happened, happened). 

The only question is, is the strut shaft sill going to be able to move the way it needs to move with this arrangement?

CSPCRX

Check Cheddas Auto, he has aftermarket top hats that give more travel but also may address your issue.

https://www.cheddasa...ts/show/6960901

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily