Everything Is Messed Up! What Do I Do?

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

*Wagovan*

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 wagovan
First off, thanks for all the help I have received on this board. You guys are awesome. Well, I went out of town for a couple of days and my little brother asked if he could borrow the Wagovan while I was gone because his Durango is in the shop. Anyways, while I was gone he decided to play Mr. mechanic and try and get a little more horsepower out of her by quote " tuning stuff". Oh my god. It runs like crap now. It takes forever to try and start it and when your trying it is backfiring out of the carb. When you drive it, there is nothing there. It would take me at least forty-five minutes to get up to freeway speeds. First off, I think he took off the crank pulley because he said it was loose. So when I checked the timing the pulley was was spinning just not at the speed of the engine. He didn't tighten it. Now it is a pain to get it tightened with it being lined up with the crank. Also he had to go playing with all of the adjustment screws on the carb. I got the gas pretty much in the middle of the window, maybe a little lower. He also messed around with the other screw on the drivers side of the carb. I don't know what it does but, I think it has something to do with the air/fuel ratio? I never touched it but he did. I am at a total loss guys. I can't get this thing to idle and it takes forever to get started. I have an SI head and a devac if that helps. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
well i would reset your timing and get the carb back to were it should be and look over and fix any thing he played with
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

*Wagovan*

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks for your fast reply. I fixed the fuel and somewhat of the idle. How do I go about tightening the crank pulley and get it lined up? Also, how do you adjust the screw on the drivers side part of the carb towards the bottom? I have no idea what it is except maybe air/fuel ratio is what I was told awhile back.

rollz87civic

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
i dont really know a lot about the cranky pull so some one else well have to help you with that one.

and the carb thing if you dont know what it dose dont fuck with it....i have learn'd not to fuck with shit that i dont know what it dose...lol

Posted Image

RIP GLEN

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
myself i would take it to a shop and charge the bill to little brother

but yea you might not be albe to get the carb right again if it had all the screws played with and the fuel one make sure you use like nail polish or a hardner liquid to keep the screw form moving thtas what the yellow mark is on that screw to help line up and keep it there.

the other one i belive is the air.fuel mixture. he may have played with the idle too. i find it soulc stock wise be about 3-5 clock turns from the point that its lose counterclock wise.

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
yeah shops suck donkey balls. plus who says little brother would pay? so i wouldnt do that. isnt there a woodruff key in the crank that keeps it from spinning? if the crank pulley was just spinning and the crankshaft wasnt then your valves would have smashed into your pistons. get a timing light and figure out what your timing is. if its popping out of the carb its most likely waaaay off. and last but not least beat the fuck outta your little brother. then try to get more hp out of his durango by taking the oil plug out. its weight reduction

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (*Wagovan* @ Jan 4 2007, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off, I think he took off the crank pulley because he said it was loose. So when I checked the timing the pulley was was spinning just not at the speed of the engine. He didn't tighten it. Now it is a pain to get it tightened with it being lined up with the crank.

When he took the pulley off he lost the woodruff key, this is why it's not spinning with the speed of the motor. THIS IS BAD!

The woodruff key fits in a slot between the crank snout and pulley and locks the two into position. Since the pulley is now free to spin on the crankshaft, you are probably damaging the crankshaft snout and pulley, and the alternator is probably undercharging your battery. Also, you will never be able to time the ignition correctly because the TDC mark will be sliding all over the place.

YOU NEED TO FIX THIS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE, AND DEFINITELY BEFORE YOU DRIVE THE CAR ANYWHERE!

The good news is that the woodruff key is probably sitting inside your timing cover, the bad news is that you have to take the timing cover off to get it out.

rollz87civic

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
and last but not least beat the fuck outta your little brother. then try to get more hp out of his durango by taking the oil plug out. its weight reduction

+1

Posted Image

RIP GLEN

*Wagovan*

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rollz87civic @ Jan 4 2007, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and last but not least beat the fuck outta your little brother. then try to get more hp out of his durango by taking the oil plug out. its weight reduction
+1

I would have to agree with both of you on this one. The woodruff key is no where to be found. He said that he didn't see one in there but I know he is full of it. That's probably why I have to charge the battery every time I try and get it started. He said that he messed with the idle, fuel, and air/fuel screw. I want to smash his face in really bad. He did mess with the air/fuel ratio screw so, that's all out of wack. Is it 3-5 turns counterclockwise from the screw being loose?

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
sorry its 3-5 clock wise thats clock wise if your standing on the pass side and turning to the pass side. you may be a bit more being devc and si head.
but it should give you a starting number.

i have no idea where stock is fo rthe air/fuel is i dont play with it.

hope it can be saved and the head isnt toast from the pully problem.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
The gear that has runs the timing belt has the woodruff key built into it - as long as he did not take the belt off or anything else having to do with the gear, your cam/crankshaft timing should not have changed and you should be OK. You need to get another woodruff key and get the pulley to turn with the crank - then you can see if he messed with the distributor timing as well - without that key, you'll have no idea where the timing is at. Go to Honda and spend a couple of dollars!

After you check the timing, then go after you fueling issues.

Kirk

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (JEFFtheJ00la @ Jan 4 2007, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif

You should try at least, have him sign the title of the Durango over to you. If not, then break his knee cap, then try again. If not this time, break his other knee cap and then pull the oil plug and throw it in the river.
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
piss on him in his sleep. take a shizen in his mouth.

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
and the carb thing if you dont know what it dose dont f*ck with it

Back in the 1980s we were told by Honda that there in One Machine in the entire world that can calibrate CVCC carbs.

And it is in Japan.

There are some things we just didn't mess with.
Even Honda Techline would tell us 'Do not take the carb apart!'.

If your brother actually did 'adjust everything', then your best bet might be to get a junkyard carb in good shape that hasn't been 'tuned' by an idiot.

Edited by Madkore, 05 January 2007 - 05:50 PM.

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (*Wagovan* @ Jan 5 2007, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SNIP
The woodruff key is no where to be found.
SNIP

You might find the key in little trough below the crank. Or so I have heard... smile.gif

It could be worth looking, and pulling the lower timing belt cover, carefully. I don' t recall whether it could find its way down into the crankcase from there.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion