People Selling Cars On Cl Must Be Insane... No?

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

bigboi407

• Anti-Government Official
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 2wd, 1986 Civic Si, 1990 Accord DX, 1994 Suzuki RF900R
    Garage View Garage
i have been looking for a good deal on a SUV/Van or even a Civic/CRX for cheap that is not running.... Everywhere i look, Tampa, Daytona, Orlando, South Florida and North FL, People are out of their MINDS......

I cam across an ad the other day title was like "1995 Nissan Maxima GREAT CAR!!!" as the title.. Then in the description it stated somethin like: "Car runs and Drives GREAT!!! Needs Engine... $2000"

or i seen an Ad that said a car was in Great shape, "Just has small dent" and the Whole Quarter panel was completely smashed in. Everyone on CL wants a Rediculous amount of money for a broken car, or is it just Florida people??

ive also seen AD's for like a 1991 car that says "Mechanic Special!!! " in the title and they want $1500 for it and its beat to hell..... Even if the car was running and not beat up, its only Worth about $1800 or so....

i saw ONE good deal and it sounded Fishy so i didnt jump on it.... 1999 Pontiac GTP Not running, "Title Stolen from car, Need it gone by tomorrow morning" $700
1984-1987 HONDA CIVIC CRX PARTS FOR SALE 1/25/12

I drive with a Lead-foot for Two Reasons--> 1. i like to be out front of the idiots that dont know how to drive 2. i like to the hear the sound of my engine..

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
It's like that here in the part of Oregon i live in. I've been trying to find a nice 3g sedan for a good price. But everyone I look at is a POS and there asking 1500-2000k for it. Its also really bad with Toyota trucks around my area. people are asking 4k up for and 80's toyota truck WTF
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

Vicious

Used car prices are going insane partly because of the credit crunch. That and some peeps are darn retarded

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Toyota trucks have always pulled a premium. That's just what they go for. Hell, in my area you're hard pressed to find ANY truck for under 4K that's not a B2000-2200... or a late 80s Ford gas V8 that's partly fused to the ground it got parked on.

My theory is that due to the emissions and cash for clunkers programs, there are "few" old cars left. Thus they bring more money, simply because there's not much else cheaper out there.

bigboi407

• PipPip
    • Drives: 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 2wd, 1986 Civic Si, 1990 Accord DX, 1994 Suzuki RF900R
    Garage View Garage
EB, but the cars im reffering to are TOTAL Piles of Shit...... Nothing Special... i mean Altima, Focus, Taurus, Lesabre, Century, Bonneville, And MANY other Early-mid 90s cars that never had much value, these people have them, beat to hell, smashed fenders, smashed in quarter panels and/or Engine Not running or bad transmissions, and they want An arm and a leg for em.....

I drive with a Lead-foot for Two Reasons--> 1. i like to be out front of the idiots that dont know how to drive 2. i like to the hear the sound of my engine..

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

It's like that here in the part of Oregon i live in. I've been trying to find a nice 3g sedan for a good price. But everyone I look at is a POS and there asking 1500-2000k for it. Its also really bad with Toyota trucks around my area. people are asking 4k up for and 80's toyota truck WTF

I totally feel ya buddy, Do you live in the Portland area? I live in Gresham. Alot of people in this area are buying up cars and flipping them without doing a single thing to them and that is what I found is driving up the price. Funny cause I thought about doing something similar, however, the price their wanting was the same price I was wanting, but I was planning on installing a fresh JDM motor. Anyway, if enough people are between here and Seattle we should set up a NW meet sometime.

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
Yeah the cash for clunkers thing drove up the price of used cars bigtime.
I think it is the case of idiot peeps though too, you know "my friend got XXX for his
(nice) whatever, so I'll ask stupid money for my POS"

bigboi407

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
ive seen a few good deals so id say 5 out of a few hundred ads, there are some Very decently priced non running cars, But nothing that im interested in

i do need to find a car with A/C and 4 doors for my daughter and the new baby due in October... im totally not sure what i want... i mean i love hondas now but i want something Nice for them to ride in, a Honda is nice but imho idk how nice they would do in case of an accident.. (not that i plan on an accident, but i Always think of the worst possible things that Could occur) So i was looking at maybe a GM car..... Say an Impala or Gran Prix GTP... first thing id do if i did buy one is buy the kit to reinforce the A/T and then put it on the road...

She wants an Xterra next tax Season, i advised her to buy a M/T and she told me "Teach me how to drive it" and i told her that i gladly would if she did go through with buying a M/T

But once again people on CL are asking STUUPID numbers for their vehicles, hell ive seen better deals at low end dealerships

steamer54

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: DD 84 CRX DX; 80 TR8; 04 Escalade; 92 F150

EB, but the cars im reffering to are TOTAL Piles of Shit...... Nothing Special... i mean Altima, Focus, Taurus, Lesabre, Century, Bonneville, And MANY other Early-mid 90s cars that never had much value, these people have them, beat to hell, smashed fenders, smashed in quarter panels and/or Engine Not running or bad transmissions, and they want An arm and a leg for em.....

I totally feel ya buddy, Do you live in the Portland area? I live in Gresham. Alot of people in this area are buying up cars and flipping them without doing a single thing to them and that is what I found is driving up the price. Funny cause I thought about doing something similar, however, the price their wanting was the same price I was wanting, but I was planning on installing a fresh JDM motor. Anyway, if enough people are between here and Seattle we should set up a NW meet sometime.

It is the same thing here is southwest Oregon. Looking for a car for my niece, we answered one CL ad for a 93 Accord "Have to see to appreciate." Boy, was that an understatement, you could spot the rust blisters under the paint from about 50 yards. The moldy bra was covering nothing but a rust hole that use to be a hood. The seats had cigarette burns through the worn out cloth and all he wanted was $1800. Thankfully we only had to drive 80 miles to see this close-up.

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si, 2013 Cadillac SRX, 2003 Hummer H2
    Garage View Garage

That's a sh'load of money! $1,500,000-$2,000,000 :lol:
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.

SEX - StreetEXtremes

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
My friend has had good luck with those pontiac G6 things.
Although he buys them because he has some special CC that you can not
get anymore plus some deal through his dad that is extra (forget) so
he pays $10k for them new.

But they have been great cars for him.

My wife (against my will big-time) just traded her Suzuki SX4 crossover.
They are pretty decent - tubular crash frame, 10 airbags, traction and stability control for
15k new, and under 10k for a good low milage used one.

But with SO many used cars crushed you will have to come up with 8-10k
for a good family car IMHO.

ktm300

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Rex DX,08 Yamaha R6. 08 KLR 650
I have a 1st gen CRX on CL right now, its for under $1000 with a clean title and current (december) registration. Just no smog. Am I asking too much? Ive had prob 100 people contact me but only one person showed up, there are too many flakes.

I've learned to ask people to either text or email me, because if they call....I end up answering the same questions over and over and over and over again!!! Even though they are all listed in my ad!

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
It's absolutely ridiculous around here as well. There's a base model 1989 crx with a big glued on hood scoop for $7000. People are so out to lunch. I usually message people and tell them they are crazy, also posting a couple links to nicer cars for half price. I have thought of selling mine for 6k and see if anyone is stupid enough to buy it. Then in return go buy 4 more.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
Pretty crazy around here. It makes it hard for me to get a decent AIV for ChumpCar. There's too many non running cars at or just above $1000. Everything else is $1500+
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

kess

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: RPR member #40. 1987 CRX Si, 1988 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si/JRSC
Who can buy a new car these days? And why? A CRZ goes for about $22,000, gets 10mpg less than my 24 year old CRX and it doesnt even come with an extension cord!
When the Student is ready the Teacher appears...