Update 2024: 17th Annual Road Trip 1987 Honda Crx - Dallas To Panama

• You cannot reply to this topic
175 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
4111 miles on my college baby makes her a grand total of 208314 miles now!!

Drove the tri "D"... Dallas to DC to Detroit and back. She ran like a champ and no issues what so ever! Drove 70 to 75 most of the way. I got a trip average of 36 MPG. Topped out at 90 following a BMW for a while. But purred like a kitten. My ass was a bit sore. Drove and slept in the car: no hotels.

Car was loaded to the max. Brought back 1 duck, 8 grouse and 40# of deer meat plust a crap load of CRX parts. Plus the hunting garb. I missed to photo op. I removed the passenger seat to I could fit everything I planned on bringing back.

Home sweat home...

Parted a 77K wrecked si in DC, Hunted and screwed around w/ hometown buddies in Michigan.

The only 80's or older cars I saw on the highway were on trailers -- I loved passing those F#$%%^in hybrids!!

I did see a white 3g in Kentucky. BUt no CRX's.

I made a bet w/ my daughter that I'd pay her $10 for every 1g she found. She claimed she saw a white one in my home town while I was gone. My wife verified and I was happy to pay (I was proud of my wife for actually noticing - as she hates my cars and will gladly put on the curb for trash pick up if I die before her - so BP, I'll give her your number and you'll get he whole fleet). Now if I can just find whittie to add to RPR.

I can't tell you how happy it made me feel to drive that car all over and back. If this isn't heaven, then I don't know what is.

This isn't my midlife crisis. I'm just really, really happy to be alive!
Keepin' it OEM

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Nov 27 2010, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(I was proud of my wife for actually noticing - as she hates my cars and will gladly put on the curb for trash pick up if I die before her - so BP, I'll give her your number and you'll get he whole fleet).

Glad you made the trek. Good to see all went well. My number has changed, someone kept texting me after sarges meet.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery
LOL
A friend and I traveled 10,000kms in 11 days with no issue
car didn't burn a drop of oil.
Basically Barrie Ontario to L.A. and back.
These cars were made for long trips.
One thing people over look is a weak CV joint boot.
extended highway speeds cause the grease to fly and
could cause a joint failure.
happened to me a few times.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
I burned about 1/2 quart on the trip. So I was pretty happy w/ that.

Ontario to cali and back is quite an accomplishment. This is my second longest road trip I've ever taken. My longest was w/ this same car when I travelled Detriot to NYC to Miami to Dallas and back to michigan after I graduated. I think you are right, they do purr right along.

On your CV joints, was it OEM grease or aftermarket? I had an old omni hatch years ago and the CV's went on a long trip (aftermarkets). I'm still on the original shafts that came w/ this car. BUt I've replaced the boot maybe 3 times since I've had them. First change was on aftermarket boots and grease. I got maybe 30K on those - Probably my last aftermarket purchase beside the rotors that warped on me in 95.

Thnx for the input Ballade

D
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
ROADTRIP 2011!!!

Via the Texas to Michigan to Canada express. Thinking this one will be 3500 miles or so.

So this time I'm heading to Michigan for more hunting as usual. Then a quick jot in to Canada to pick up some parts and then home again.

Just got my passport updated so I can cross the boarder. Working a night at my buddy's place in Detroit to hang w/ him and stash my hunting stuff. I don't think they'll like me crossing w/ all that firepower.

Got my concealment permit this summer so this CRX will be armed to the teeth.

I need to set up a couple of stops. But I'm heading for Carbough Classics to pick up his NOS header (will not dare ship that badboy). Have a pending w/ another toronto member. And I have to coordinate w/ an Indianapolis member as well.

Its a tight trip b/c I'll be in the woods w/ my rex just like the good old days in the early 90's.

Anyway, have to get to the barn and fire up the beater and check her over. She's been sitting for 6 months w/ no love.

Sorry I won't have the awesome shots that Ballade had. I envy his trip,... and the pix.

More to come....
Keepin' it OEM

Smokescreem

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI ,2004 CRV EX, 1968 VW BUG, 1955 Porsche Speedster replica
    Garage View Garage
Have fun with it !

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Thnx Smokescreem,

So far the trips have been uneventfull mechanically as they should w/ a Honda. But ya never know.

So looks like it'll be a mini meet in Toronto! RetroRex, Ballade, Classic and myself. We're working out details. I haven't crossed the northern boarder since the late 90's.

Looking forward to it!
Keepin' it OEM

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Grease, I will need to get with you for those parts, if you haven't left yet.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
BP, yeah, I've been thinking about that. I've got to get w/ Indyman to see if he's available. I pass straight through his town.

I'll call ya

d

Pulled my Lexus out of my side of the garage. First time I fired that one up since last December - inflated tires, new battery ('03 w/ 35K on it - might be my next project if I ever get my other 3 done.....). Cleared the garage to put the lexus outside and bring my beater home right were she belongs. I'm going to try and get to the farm and pick her up this week if I can. I don't expect surprises, but I've not visited her in 6 months.
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
BP,

I tried your new number a few days ago and it was a no go. PM me when you get a chance w/ the new on.

I think I'll be out of time to try and get those parts.

Brought ol' Betsy back home the other day. Haven't driven her since our TX meet. Changed the oil last night and all seals/hoses/sounds are normal and ready to go. I pulled out the passenger seat so I can put my cooler there for the deer meet on the trip back. I always try to put all the heavy stuff in the front so the car doesn't low ride in the back.

More to come.
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Got Skunked!!

So I'm 6hrs into the trip and cross into Missouri and take a pit stop. Back on the "on ramp" and taking the turn and I come across this little guy. I was on the curve and couldn't swerve, so I thougtht I could straddle him down the middle and he'd get under the car okay.

Apparently not.

So 5 hours later I pull into a gas station to refill. A cop pulls up next to me and says I got a T-shirt under my car. I bust out laughing and realize I've been dragging this poor creature for 5 hours. The cop calls his buddy and takes pictures b/c they can't believe it. Hands my some latex gloves and leaves. So my hitch hicker is now in a landfill somewhere in the Mighty MO.

Hunting was slow this year. Got some more partridge, but no deer this time around.

Clocked about 3800 miles on this trip w/ no issues. I didn't really pay attention to MPG on this one.

Got to visit some members!!

Crossed into Canada to pick up some parts. Was hoping to do a mini meet in Toronto. Unfortunately Cobourg Classic and Ballade weren't able to meet up during my 2 hour stop - hopefully next time guys!!

RetroCRX was able to pick up the part from Cobourg for me and I met him over at his place. Got to shoot the bull for a few hours and see his minty car. He pulled out the restoration book and I'm amazed w/ what you have done w/ her. Great work and very glad to put a face and now a friend to a fellow RPR'r. Thnx again for the extra parts! I'll owe ya. And glad to see you store your baby in the winter. If I get that way again, I'll have to PM Tom. I had no idea he was in your neck of the woods.

Crossing the boarder took FOREVER.... So I cross the Detroit tunnel. Stop at Canadian customs. They need to charge me tarrif on my NOS travel kit (pump/alt/starter/main relay,...etc...) I pull out my receipt book thinking I"m prepared. They so no go b/c they don't track incomming/outgoing so its just easier to charge the tax.

I turn around to head back into Detroit. US customers stops me. They don't like my story of heading to Toronto to pick up parts and don't like travel kit of parts. They think I drove all the way from TX just to go to toronto. They search the car. An hour later I'm back in the States. Drive to my buddy's house and drop the parts.

Now back through my second time. I pay the tunnel fee and 2 customs agents are randomley stopping cars before they head through the tunnel. So they have a car stopped w/ trunk popped open in the middle of a 6 lane merge. I slowly stay to one side to pass. Joe Agent pops his head up and runs in front of my car to stop me. Says, " Woah, woah, where do you think you're going?" Shouts out, " are you carrying firearms, drugs (he sees my tX plate and must think I'm running the Columbian-Mexican-Canada express or something). I say no. Then he shouts (in bad cop voice), " Are you running away from a warrant". I couldn't hold it any longer and busted out laughing until I had tears in my eyes. I told him to search my car, I have all the time in the world. He smiled and said, "have a nice day!"

So 12 hours later, I'm back from Toronto and Crossing the tunnel again. I hand customs my hunting licenses, emails on the trip, google maps and reciepts for the parts. Third shift doesn't like the story either so they search the car again. I'm hanging in the lounge and then 2 agents come up on either side about 20 feet on either flank to pull security detail on me. Real quiet and deliberate, so I figured they found my 9mm clip I missed in my counsol when I swept the car before heading into Canada ( so the first search missed it). Anyway, they took extra special care in this search. I reminded them to take it easy on the 25yr old plastic and that it was irreplaceble - they didn't like that too much...

I'm heading back next winter so I'm sure I'll be stopped/searched now that I"m on the State Department's watch list.

Passed through Indianapolis and vistited Indyman for a while. Got to finally put the face to the voice. Great conversation and more great cars!

Actually saw a red 87si crx the day before I left in North Dallas. First one I've seen in 3yrs. Then I saw an HF or DX up in michigan along a 2 lane highway. Looked like that was sitting w/ other parked cars as part of a garage. Too late at night to stop and check out.

All an all a great trip.

If you got through this book, then I'm impressed.

Beater is back in the barn and will sit until next year's trip....
Keepin' it OEM

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
great story!
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

rustycivic

• ol Dusty
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 Integra sedan, B20V for the daily, 87 CRX Si for play and a 97 Oddysee for the family stuff
    Garage View Garage
As much as I'm still over the road trip stuff for now, I have done some pretty crazy trips and the one that tops my clicks per hour meter was when I drove from Vancouver Island to Toronto in in my 87 CRX DX, 65h, 4,800km divided basically into 3, 18h stints with sleeping in the trunk at rest stops in between. I stayed in Toronto for a week, got a job and an apartment, then hopped on a plane back. Less then 3 weeks later, after packing and prepping my now wife's truck and a rental trailer and fixing the damage a year of neglecting my Civic, we put the cat in my car and made the trip together. This time stopping in Motels and maxing 90kph and 10h stints combined with the spring thaw flooding the parries adding a day and a few hundred extra km's we made it back in 6 days.

Funny thing was even though my CRX is 6 years older then my Civic, and I'm pretty sure head gasket is blown slightly, after 1/2h above 100kph (60mph) the temp would start to climb and I had to keep the heat cranked and the pass side window open to keep it from really climbing, even pulling over now and then to cool it. The motor leaks oil and coolant that pulls a Houdini, leaking a little gas from the carb by my self in several areas with no reception on my phone, I was less stressed then when I drove across with my wife and the rest of my stuff. Not because of her, she's great for stuff like this, she drove a POS 93 Chev rwd, w/ a shitty u-haul trailer towing our stuff and a lot of tools and car parts probably over loading the truck through the crazy Canadian winter covered Norther Manitoba and kept cool, while following me in what was really stressing me, I had forgotten the wheel lock key for my Civic, in the tools I brought with me the first trip with the CRX, and that meant I wasn't able to get the wheels off to check/maint the brakes, or the other little thing I wanted to do before I left, the clutch was toast and slipped above 90kph, which is why I had parked it in the first place. I was prepared to break the locks off and change the clutch in a parking lot if I had to but really, when your so far north that on May 2nd the high temp for the day is below freezing, I'd be using my propane torch to heat my self more then rusty bolts.

I think the best part of a crazy long road trip is definitely that feeling you get when you roll back into town. It's so surreal it seems impossible that you were there and now you're here. Then you get home and wanna sleep for a few days.

Edited by rustycivic, 19 December 2011 - 09:48 PM.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
I loved this thread! I read it while I was on a road trip myself in CA for Christmas. The only thing I might add is a small cheap metric tap and die set. It is not something I would normally carry and would keep in my tool box at the shop, but I actually had to go out and buy one (now and extra one) while I was on vacation. I guess your point of making the list was to bring stuff you couldn't neccesarily buy on the road, which you can purchase the tap and die set at any auto parts store, but when I make a list I think of common problems and build my list, especially my tool list, from there. Zip ties are great! as mentioned previously. My buddy from work said he used one on his brake line once. Somehow he ended up with a pinhole on his brake line. He said he was able to clean the line, put tape over the hole, compress the tape over the hole with the zip tie, and tape again over that. It slowed down the leak enough to get him home, but I guarantee that wouldn't hold up over a long distance trip!

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
ROADTRIP 2012:::: Dallas to Detroit

Here we go again. Fired up the beast a few weeks ago and brought her home. I think that fuel pump that's been giving me issues for the past 9 years is finally giving out. Looks like its time to replace. -- it's been a science project to see just how long I could go on it.

So good news, now the annual trip becomes 2 trips! My wife is allowing me to split the trip into a bird trip, and a deer trip. Looking forward to twice the driving pleasure this year. More time in the car and a little less in the woods. But it'll be easier for the fam and work.

Made some special grouse loads and tested them at the range. Got my stuff all together and just trying to figure which day to leave.

another quick trip over the boarder for some parts. and that's about it beyond 10hr days wondering the woods

More to come. Oil change and looksee over the car
Keepin' it OEM