Update 2024: 17th Annual Road Trip 1987 Honda Crx - Dallas To Panama

• You cannot reply to this topic
175 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
So I'm driving from Dallas to St Loui via us44, then on up to Chicago and then got plenty of family as I get clost to the Canadian border from there. But any of you peppers inbetween Dallas and Chicago in the vacinity of the route?

Keith, I'll try that site. I called about 40 yards in the big cities I'll be driving through a few months ago. They mostly laughted and said those old cars are all crushed. but I'll check that site.

I really don't expect issues. I've always been able to drive the beater home under her own power. Had the cars for 16yrs and have a pretty confortable feel. But a lot of you are a hell of a lot smarter than me, so all your inputs are appreciated

I was thinking of throwing BP and a fire extinquisher in the car just in case. Ha ha bp!!

Funk, I'll check into the cheapie walmart jack.

Deivion, My distributer shaft is pretty tight still w/ 200k on it. beyond the iginiter, is there another part that might fail? The pick up or vac advance?

The car mechanically is in pretty good shape. I've really never had a second thought about long road trips. But now I realize the mortality of getting parts. Junkies just don't have them, and aftermarket are getting harder to get quickly from the autozones of the world

Thnx guy. I'll summarize for a WIKI later. Great info. Our little reliability study

D

Keepin' it OEM

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'm not to sure on the weather at that time or where you are going, but snow chains and a extra set of freeze plugs, spark plugs etc. Snow chains. What about that STUPID O ring for the coolant tube in the back of the block? I have had that go out on me several times in past CRX's in the stupidest places. I had to do spark plugs and a freeze plug in -35 degree weather once.. NOT FUN.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
You must have gone to Alaska Rare! The final destination is my old stomping ground. when I was in college. If I surf up on a snow drift, I just dig out the snow underneath until the car tires get traction again and get going. Has anyone ever put chains on their hondas? success? My bro had a 1980 civic cvcc hatch in Denver. He'd put chains on to telemark up in the mountains.

I'm not sure If I've ever had her below -30F. That'll put a stress on the hoses and seal.....

The pipe, is that the copper ~1inch dia tube about a foot long? The orings were replace ~6yrs ago. But glad to get your input. Mine have not caused an issue for me yet - maybe just luck. Next time you're replacing those, maybe check the tube diamensions to another one (call me, I have one in the package). Maybe there's a tolerence issue. I can measure the one I have and we can compare.
Keepin' it OEM

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Nov 5 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn Jason, did you bring a fridge??

Yes, but it wasn't plugged in, we were using the lighter outlet for the boombox. And yes, with that much stuff, 450# springs help.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Okay,

I'm thinking a quick version list to keep space to a minimum. Assuming your car is well maintained w/ good hoses, brakes, clutch and such. And the knowledge that if you break down, its hard to find our key parts now a days. Also, that you can get to a basic autoparts store along the way somehow.

So sounds like a reasonable list of parts to bring along for an extended roadtrip would be:

Alternator
Ignitor
Distributor
belts
fuel filter
igition coil
main relay
fuel pump
thermostat

I think you can still get all this via Honda except for the fuel pump.

I add coat hanger, helms manual and duct tape.

Obviously, add other parts that you get the "feeling" are very old and starting to go. Like the orings and such.

For me, if my starter goes, I'll roll start it.

And whatever tools you think you need to put this stuff on. I like the idea of the compact hydualic jack. BUt I tossed in a 2nd siccor jack and blocks of wood.

So let me know what you think. I'm going to post this to WIKI under "roadtrip"

Keepin' it OEM

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
In addition to a hanger and duct tape..JB WELD.. I ALWAYS have JB weld in all my cars for some weird reason that I have not yet discovered and hoping I won't ever..

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Don't forget electrical tape.

On my last 3500KM road trip one of the plug wires was rubbing on the center/vertical rad member and chafed thru. I turned the wire 180 degrees, routed it slightly differently, and kept going.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Cool, I'll get this formatted better to get all the comments and get on WIKI. I threw a roll in the car over the weekend. I once used a bunge to hold the battery in place for the straman when I drove back to TX. I had to buy a battery on teh way and it was an oversized battery b/c that was all I could get on the road at the time in ahurry.

keep em coming.

And you carb guys, what would you add?

D
Keepin' it OEM

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Parachute cord, and hockey tape, panty hose and a spare Alternator Belt.
Posted Image

poopshovel

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 86 CRX Si w/turbo D16 in the works.
For long trips in my POS, I always bring a gallon jug of water, a quart of oil, a couple lengths of radiator hose in different sizes, ZIP TIES!, basic, bare-bones tool kit (Even a ratchet and 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets and open end wrenches in a bag, 2 screwdrivers, vice-grips will do.) And I hardly go anywhere without my Wally-world jumper box with air pump. Bonus points if you attach an AC inverter w/a bunch of zipties. That's GOOD portable power right there. Flask of whiskey is good in case you do end up stuck on the side of the road in the freezing cold waiting on a hauler. smile.gif

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Nov 11 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And you carb guys, what would you add?

Carb's don't travel across country, the reasons are, as follows:

1) Most people @ major retail parts locations look at you stupid, when you ask for a mechanical fuel pump for a carbueted car, they typically don't sell them, or they want to sell you their Mr.Gasket electric fuel pump. "Its just like you wanted, but crappier, and right now."

2) RPR members telling you that "if you converted to fuel injection, It would really improve the performance"

3) Did I mention stupid looks?

4) People saying "huh?" when you say carb'd.

5) Stupid responses when you say "carb'd or carbuereted.

Well, what I would carry would be..... both front and rear, fuel filters, upper rad hose, and cut to fit 5/8ths hose, invariably one of those pop on a trip. You can tap out the stock air filter. Head & gaskets, lower control arm (for the side you haven't changed out yet) spare 1156, 1157 and 9004/H4's. Everything else, with the exception of tools and 2 spare tires, is pretty much a major issue.
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Got back from the trip. Clocked 2800 miles on the beater w/o a problem. Took her back inthe woods and shot some partridge just like old times. Got quite a few weird looks in the woods w/ all the pick up and SUV guys.

I love this car!

Unfortunately, I didn't see another CRX on the entire trip.

Will work on the WIKI shortly.

D
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
ROADTRIP 2010.

Taking her back home again this Dec. Detouring to see Alister of Civic Duty to pick up parts in Maryland. So I think this one will put on 3500 or so miles. Haven't done a power drive like this since I gratuated college and roadtripped the US in her a few decages ago. Can't wait. She's got 205K now. Taking same basic Maintenance parts shown in the photo several posts above. Unlike last time from sitting in storate for 4years, I've been putting a few miles on her every month or so and just an oil change and off I go.

I'll let you know how it goes. Can't wait to spin my 80's tunes and hear the hum of that little motor again.

D
Keepin' it OEM

Gant

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
SWEET!! road trips are fun. dry.gif
Check your wheel bearings, I had a bad one eat up 2 tires before I could find a place to replace them.
13" and 14"s are almost impossible to find used.... ANYWHERE.
I had to drive about an hour and a half to find a tire shop.
It was on a Sunday evening, everybody was closed.
Now that I think about it, this happened on two separate trips in two different cars.
The first time was just old tires, the tread was damn near flopping around on the road by the time I found a place.

As for BP's earlier comment on carb'd cars not taking road trips? HA! my 1.3 hatch made it to south Florida from Dallas and back w/o a hitch (minus the tire).
Except, the fuel filter clogged up about 2 days after being in Florida, when I drove my mom 15 mins down the highway rolleyes.gif
and I drove my 1.3 powered crx to little rock and back several times w/o a hitch (minus the tires)

I check my rear filter real quick with a flash light, you should be able to see the sediment on the bottom of it when you shine your light from the backside of it.

HAVE Fun man,

-Garrett

P.S. no spare parts, only my tool box in the hatch, a jack but no spare
and the rex's spare didnt hold air for very long, which had everything but a jack.

Edited by Gant, 02 November 2010 - 11:09 AM.

^^click for wagoplan alpha^^

My name is Garrett.... like the turtle

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Nov 11 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Carb's don't travel across country, the reasons are, as follows:

1) Most people @ major retail parts locations look at you stupid, when you ask for a mechanical fuel pump for a carbueted car, they typically don't sell them, or they want to sell you their Mr.Gasket electric fuel pump. "Its just like you wanted, but crappier, and right now."

2) RPR members telling you that "if you converted to fuel injection, It would really improve the performance"

3) Did I mention stupid looks?

4) People saying "huh?" when you say carb'd.

5) Stupid responses when you say "carb'd or carbuereted.

I still stand by reasons 1 - 5, but now seeing that I have drove a carb'd wagon, cross country and back, I find that you get those stupid looks by just saying "A T FIVE" This look pretty much equates to a "booger-look on a pitbull"

The trip was awesome.