Update 2024: 17th Annual Road Trip 1987 Honda Crx - Dallas To Panama

• You cannot reply to this topic
175 replies to this topic

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion

Have a road trip in Dec and taking my beater. 200K original everything (ie, only exhaust/brakes/tires/clutch replaced). Driving 3K miles.

So, I"m bringing NOS ignitor, alt, fuel pump, main relay. What else makes sense.

Not that I think there'll be an issue, but I'd like to be a boyscout on this one. Be hard to find stuff in Kansas.

The car is well maintained w/ all new OEM NOS seals/belts/hoses and general maintenance parts (NOS filters/dist caps/spark wires) all around. Well, five years ago and have put maybe 4K miles on the car since I pulled the motor for seals.

So, looking for those other common "show stoppers" that would get you on the highway.

Oh, put a new honda battery in her. Tires are great.

Took the same trip last year, and the car died, but restarted an hour later. Isolated it to an intermitten fuel pump w/ help from you RPR'r last year (actually, my first post way back when).

Thoughts?

d

Keepin' it OEM

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
Ignition switch, ignition coil, fuses, tools, and fluids...
Have you rebuilt the carburetor yet? might consider doing that, DD'ing it a while to test it out and then take off- other than that, I doubt you'd really need anything.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
I usually can the fluids b/c I can get at a local gas station (at least nothing leaks/burns at the moment).

But I like the ig switch. I think I had spare fuses in the glove box. Had the car since 93, so I really don't remember whats in the box. I'll have to look.

I've not heard of coils going on the si platforms. But maybe my experiences have just been fortunate?

Thnx Z!
Keepin' it OEM

WOLFCRX

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 87 crx si and 84 crx(Straman Spyder), 91 Chevy silverado, 87 lynx 5th wheel
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thermostat, I've had one go bad in the middle of a trip. I pulled it and continued home.

Where you headed, coming this way at all?

Doug
RPR Convertible club:

84 Straman project build

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
Oh man. I've never owned a car in my life that even had a spare tire. blink.gif
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
id bring some spare belts.
usually when I put new ones on, I put the old ones in the sapre tire well.

I also like to take a small hydraulic jack with me on long road trips.
If you have a flat or blowout its sooo much nicer that that stupid scissor jack.

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
Having taken a few long "road trips" in a 1st gen CRX, I think you have the main items covered. Ask screech how hard it can be to find a replacement alternator...

Lastly, either post your approximate route on redpepperracing or make yourself aware of where fellow redpepperracing-ites are located along your route. Some of us have a decent stockpile of spares and are willing to help get a member out of a jam. On our way up to wilq's meet last April, cafcwest in Richmond, VA would have been willing to remove the alternator off his race car for screech, but I was guessing we could make up to PA.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
On my last road trip, I took everything but a fuel filter, oddly, that was what I needed, oh, and a radiator hose.

Understand I brought along, lower control arms, axles, and brake calipers, as well as a spare head.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
If you have not changed the fuel filter, I would do it before the trip.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
I know if I was taking my car on a trip that far I'd need a spare right knee.

biggrin.gif

Must.....go......racing.......

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Spare distrubitor.
Posted Image

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Thermostat - thnx Doug

Spare tires there, but I had better put air in it. Been in there for 22 yrs - thnx Retro. I usually carry the fix a flat (but use only as last resort. I know the chemicals mess up the finish on the rims.

Damn Jason, did you bring a fridge?? I won't bring that much. stuff

Scott, the fuel filter's the same one that I left in there w/ the 4yrs old gas. When I pulled the injectors to pop the tits, I inspected the inside of the rail and it looked really good. Didn't notice guming at all. I pulled the connectors to the filter and drained the fuel in it and it looked good. So I was saving the 25 bucks and left it in last year. I guess the fuel never gelled inside the lines like some of you guys feared. I'll probably leave it in for now and pack a spares. But when one does go, what happens? the car bougs down at high rpms? I've always replaced w/ oem at the specifed intervals, so I've not experienced the failure.

Thnx keith on the alt. When my car died last year, I had most electrical parts but the fuel pump. Then I put a new relay in somewhere in Missouri and she didn't go. I called some places and no one had distributors or pumps. So I know I need to be prepared. Great Idea on the road side emergency support!

Funk, The hydaulic I have weighs a ton, but I'll bring a second jack and some blocks of wood to the jack doesn't sink int he mud. As for hoses/belts, I religiuosly inspect all belts/hoses w/ a flashlight and extension mirror annaully when I'm driving the cars. If the rubber is questionable, then I replace, but I'll chuck in an $8 alt belt since its so small

My space will be limited b/c Im hauling stuff to my folks cabin in Michigan. Then on the way back, I'm hauling back this summer's junkyard parts I was able to muster. So I'm trying to keep supplies to a minium. The car's never standed me, so I've got a lot of confidence, but you never now. 22yrs old solder joints are what I'm worried about, and lack of parts availability.

Since its a pulic domain, I'll hold off on posting destination and dates. Lots of wackos out there. For instance, my wife posted the family pix and ones of our children. We got maybe 20 hits on the family, but 100 on our daughter, so my wife pulled them ASAP. Creepy and sick. I feel for the family of th little girl in Florida. What a shame. But, she knows how to use my flat top incase anyone "pops" by......

Keep the ideas coming. I'll put this together for another WIKI post. Since a lot of us drive long distances for meets.

Doug, I'm dying to get out to cali to meet you guys at a meet some time soon. Thinking when I get the SI platform in the straman, it'll be time. I want to head back to Riverside and meet up w/ the original owener. He's still in the same house. Also want to make it out back East for those as well (lived in Long Island and have some buddies to drop by)

d

ANy other little show stoppers, keep 'em coming.....

Keepin' it OEM

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
yeah im not talking about a real nice floor jack.
I have one of those too and wouldnt think about taking it.
Im talking about a $20 walmart job that weighs like 10lbs and is pretty small.
I just have a real hatred for those stupid screw jacks.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Warning, if you plan to carry all that Jason did you may want to get some 450# rear springs too.

On the spare tire I like to put a full size tire in for road trips. The little old 22 year old tire normally had a 50MPH limit or something crazy slow (compared to the 65-70MPH roads your likely to be on).

As Keith mentioned bring an alternator. Once I finally got one I didn't turn in the core, I just rebuilt it. I also have a spare starter, though if your not going alone or can park on a hill all the time like Rodney you can get by without one for a bit. Axles are not a bad idea.. You and others have already mentioned several other things worth carrying.

And Cell Phone, even if just a pre-paid. Load it with RPR member contacts and share with us (we love to text "You there yet?").

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
If it works for my schedule, I like to bring a list/map of cheap junkyards along my route, like U Wrench It or http://www.picknpull.../locations.aspx

I also might even check http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi if I am looking for a special part, to see if there is a source along the way.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion