Front Brake Mounting Tabs

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

armegedon667

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
In the attempt to utilize Insight aluminum front calipers I have determined some information I have never seen posted elsewhere. The bolt circle diameter of our brake mounting tabs is 3.75". This is the same as later 4G/5G "DX" civics. ABS equipped civics and integras (2 & 3g) have a mount tab BCD of 4". The 140mm bolt spacing for the mounting of the calipers is the same, this means the common ITR caliper/10.3" rotor brake swap will work on our cars and a later model ABS equipped civic caliper could be used such as the Wilwood DPHA in combination with a 9.7" 21mm thick rotor. Because the rotor is thicker than the 1g teg/ DX rotor and we have the same mounting tabs, this will likely require machining 1mm from the caliper(bracket).

According to the Wilwood website technical diagram https://www.wilwood..../DPHA-cm-lg.jpgand the adjusted mounting location I get 11.4" as the max OD of such an assembly. The stock 14's have just over 11.5" clearance so they could work. In terms of a rotor for such a setup the brembo is quite close: https://www.brembopa.../09-3125-10/pdf I have also been considering a custom hat and rotor from coleman. They are quite reasonably priced and once the specs were done other folks could order them if they were interested.

As to the question of why... the answer is that I want to keep the CRX as close to factory looking as possible from the outside and in but I am in the process of updating the nearly 40 year old car to more modern performance standards.

Edited by armegedon667, 26 August 2023 - 09:04 PM.

CSPCRX

I ran, non-ABS, civic calipers for years and they bolted right up and provided much better braking than stock caliper and rotor.  In fact for years this was my track setup and it served me very well.

you can also go to Fast Brakes and see the kits he has.  I am using his Wilwood kit now that I am K powered with 11in rotors.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

armegedon667

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Did you run the 9.5" rotor then? I had the teg setup on CRX's in the past and I could never get good feel or fade resistance.

I've really been searching for something to fit under the stock 14's. I have a B18C in the garage waiting to go in. I have recently discovered that Corolla/Prius/Yaris calipers are all 140mm bolt spacing. They run a 10.1" rotor 22mm thick. This may work. Luckily I own a prius so I think I remove the caliper and make some measurements. The rotor center how would have to be bored out but that's no biggie. The calipers used in those cars is very similar to the Honda stuff. Interesting that the bolt spacing is the same. Perhaps the engineers knew each other.

CSPCRX

92 Non ABS calipers, 9.5” rotors and Hawk pads.  Never had fade or heat issues with this setup during 20 min track sessions in Arizona heat.  This setup cleared my 13” wheels and some 14s I ran a few times without issue.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

armegedon667

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Great to know. Perhaps I will mount those up. Did you run the factory Master or the larger Prelude one (7/8")?

CSPCRX

Factory master.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily