• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: element , f550, 86 crx

I will get some more pics posted as soon as i get a chance

Had another spot of free time. car came with what I was told were ZC cams and a head both spares not installed. head was tore down and didn't have quite that much time. also came with a ZC intake manifold installed and original d16a1 as a spare.  I measured the spare cams and the cams in the engine and the spares were stamped pm7 and measured .030" approx taller lobes.  I decided that I would put them in.  road tested after to verify everything was good.

Seems to have less power but I don't have a dyno. And I did not alter the tune. So that might explain that. it does seem to keep pulling to a higher rpm 7k instead of getting weak around 6.5k. 

I used the dowel pin holes in cams to time them and the d16a1 stamped steel cam gears. all my marks lined up but it maybe a matter of cam timing by a few degrees. Because I also received a set of small cam gears that I don't have a matching crank gear for. 

Either the increased lift is helping but no tune to take advantage of it or the air mass has slowed down with the increased valve opening and it is hurting. once the supercharger is on I can only imagine the extra lift and from what the "internet" says 12 degrees longer duration. 

I wanted to get the stock cams out so they could get reground. 

after that was finished I started screwing around with eliminating brake booster. I down't have material yet to remove the booster so I disconnected and capped booster hose from intake. Road tested to see what I was getting into. 

Takes quite a bit of pressure but  can still lock up front. But it was easier to modulate on the edge of lock up once I got the hang of it. 

Stock pedal ratio is 4.54:1 . I removed the brake pedal welded original hole shut and redrilled new hole at 1.85 " (stock is 2.2" ) changing pedal ratio to 5.4:1. it only marginally increased pedal travel, made a (guess) 25 lb difference in pedal pressure to lock up. 

My hope is that with 3 mm larger front calipers from 90 crx Si (rotors to match) and yellow stuff pads lock up with still be controllable but with lower pedal pressure. 

Keeping stock 13/16" master cylinder (replacing with new) and with 3mm larger calipers pedal travel should increase by approx 3/8" .

Need to find 14" or 15" wheels before I can change calipers (I think).

My wheels are 13x5 I don't think I will fit 9.5 rotors inside 13" wheels but if someone has please chime in. 

That's all I have for now.

Edited by crxracer87si, 04 September 2018 - 11:33 AM.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Cams like compression - so if you are running stock compression then they can make the motor lazy at lower RPM.  Did you install the ZC Intake Manifold?  That would help the lower revs for the motor.

When I can get to the race car I will measure when we ran with 13" rims for brakes but I believe that we were as bid as you suggested.  A lot of it had to do with the construction of the rim and how far the radius near the mounting flange extended into the barrel of the wheel.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

I was able to use the 13" 1985 CRX Si wheels over my integra front brake swap with no clearance problems.

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

As far as I was told the engine is stock 1987 d16a1, which would put the compression at 9.2:1 .

Yes the car came with the ZC intake installed already. I was comparing the zc intake and the a1 intake. used a tape measure through the runner and it appears the a1 intake has longer runners , also seem a bit fatter down the length.  I have only been told that longer runners were a good thing never saw any testing on this subject. I am curious if longer runners are better through. 

Thanks for the info on rim brake fitment. 1985 crx si were your 13" wheels 5" wide? or 6"

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

as requested updated pics, hood stands removed so hood would sit flush, china cold air for 4g civic and original crx floor mats

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

13x5, alloy 

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

If 13" rims fit over 90 brakes then I would stick with 13" probably go with bassett wheels inertia advantage 13x7 3.5" BS, they are 13 lbs each, and look pretty good too.  I will wait till Gtpilot can look at his race car to confirm what size he runs so I know if they will fit, My guess is he runs an 8" wheel but I don't know. 

yes 205 tire maybe more than I will ever use. The tires I am looking at are toyo R888R 185/60 R13 which I can't seem to find a light set of wheel for less than $2k  or  Toyo ra1 which fit the bassett wheels and the wheels are $260 a set. 

The short is its A LOT cheaper to run the 205 tire than a 185 . 

Open to any and all input on this matter

Edited by crxracer87si, 06 September 2018 - 03:35 PM.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

If 13" rims fit over 90 brakes then I would stick with 13" probably go with bassett wheels inertia advantage 13x7 3.5" BS, they are 13 lbs each, and look pretty good too.  I will wait till Gtpilot can look at his race car to confirm what size he runs so I know if they will fit, My guess is he runs an 8" wheel but I don't know. 

yes 205 tire maybe more than I will ever use. The tires I am looking at are toyo R888R 185/60 R13 which I can't seem to find a light set of wheel for less than $2k  or  Toyo ra1 which fit the bassett wheels and the wheels are $260 a set. 

The short is its A LOT cheaper to run the 205 tire than a 185 . 

Open to any and all input on this matter

I ran a 13" x 7" rim - Panasports - on the racecar.  I know that we have run the Integra brake upgrade on 13" rims with no issues.

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

DSCF0026_1.jpg?w=280&h=210&fit=cropDSCF0027.jpg?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

got material on sat.  I  milled to 8 degrees   waiting on new master cylinder for dimensions for bore and studs. 

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Big brake parts showed up today. also scored ebc yellow stuff pads for 24.00 shipped and a brand new ac delco master cylinder for 17 I opened the box to be surprised by a MADE IN JAPAN label      sweetness       just like oem.    

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

made progress on booster delete plate, drilled and taped with heli coils for strength, since my brakes depend on bolts not pulling out. 

DSCF0033.jpg

rest of brake parts to convert to 90' si brakes

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

Edited by crxracer87si, 12 September 2018 - 10:53 AM.

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

turns out those cardone calipers are wrong p/n. they bolt on fine and look right until you try to put 90 Si pads in them. Ordered what I hope is correct p/n