47 replies to this topic

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
Mercury,

Can we get some pics of your setup? Everything still running okay?

Thanks,
Mike
No power . . . no weight

old fart

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 civic DX
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Jan 27 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are correct. That is what the third barrel is for. The adapter that is in the Weber kit has a little cut away to feed the CVCC part of the intake manifold. Essentially you are running the motor with a normal, close to stoiciometric mixture, without the lean burn. So you are feeding the same mixture to the CVCC system as the main combustion chambers. So, it doesn't get as good of fuel economy as when you are running the CVCC as it is supposed to, but you will get a heck of a lot more performance, especially in the higher RPMs. That is where the Weber and its emulsion tubes really get the fuel atomized.

Thanks that make sense. Now I have to decide if I want go for mileage or performance. Ever seen a picture of that adapter on the net. Just so happens I’m a journeyman machinist.

Mercury

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 86 CRX
Here are the pics. She still needs some cleaning up and some blockoffs on the intake and EGR pipe ( maybe a Header... :-) ) See past posts for details.
Note the throttle cam from old stock carb.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
When it comes to performance, I think the manifold may matter as much as the carb. I have been running a crappy USDM manifold for years. I ought to be using a CDM/JDM one, but have not gotten around to that project.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
I have a CDM intake manifold that I was going to be using for such a swap. Do the CDM and USDM carbs have the same mounting shape? Or rather, if I do this Weber upgrade, will I have fitment problems on a CDM intake?

Inquiring minds want to know . . .
No power . . . no weight

Mark L

I just swapped to a 32/36 weber progressive from a CVCC carb which was already devaced.
I started with a Pierce manifold and 3 old carbs which were left over from my air cooled VW days.
For the record, this is what i came up with for jetting.

Primary Main 140
Secondary main 137
primary air correction 165
secondary air correction 160
primary emulsion F50
Secondary emulsion F6
Acceleration pump nozzle 50
Needle seat 200
I do not have the vacuum advance hooked up.
The damn thing fired right up and I only had to tweak the idle mixture about 1/4 turn.

After adjustment, the thing run very smooth throughout the RPM range. I can make it idle at 300 rpm if I want. No flats spots at all.
I haven't looked at the plugs yet, but I am very impressed.

Mark L.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

Buzzstrike

• Hurt and wounded....
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Civic S(wrecked), 2003 Pilot.
Now all of this is with the CVCC head.

What would be improved if you were to go get a cyl head off of a Si car in a junk yard and swapped over the Weber stuff.

What then....?

She may not look like much. But she does have a special place in my heart, and wallet.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
QUOTE (squareback @ Jan 31 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do the CDM and USDM carbs have the same mounting shape? Or rather, if I do this Weber upgrade, will I have fitment problems on a CDM intake?

No and yes.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

LeDevil

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87' Crx Si R.I.P 85' Crx Mb (mix breed)
Have any of you guys done this with a Automatic?

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Crx
QUOTE (squareback @ Jan 31 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a CDM intake manifold that I was going to be using for such a swap. Do the CDM and USDM carbs have the same mounting shape? Or rather, if I do this Weber upgrade, will I have fitment problems on a CDM intake?

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

WHERE ON GODS GREEN EARTH DID U GET THE MANIFOLD (CDM) I HAVE LOOKE THROUGH EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY AND I CANT FIND ONE plz tell where to get on including the carb

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
Questions:

(1) Does these 32/36 carbs run fine off the stock fuel pump? (i.e.: Should I have an electric pump; and is a fuel pressure regulator needed?) If a FPR is needed, what have you guys found to be the ideal fuel pressure for this carb on our motors?

(2) How do I tie in to the ignition system? I know you have to make one wire connection to the ignition for the electric choke. Does this wire splice in by the steering column ignition swich, I suppose? If so, what is the color/colors of the wire? I am purchasing a set that does not have instructions included, and would appreciate any input here.

(3) What vacuum lines are used to the carb, if any? EGR, etc...

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Mark L

QUOTE (OG Wagon @ Jun 25 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Questions:

(1) Does these 32/36 carbs run fine off the stock fuel pump? (i.e.: Should I have an electric pump; and is a fuel pressure regulator needed?) If a FPR is needed, what have you guys found to be the ideal fuel pressure for this carb on our motors?
(

I ran my weber on a stock CVCC engine with the stock fuel pump in competition with no issues.
I am now running a SI engine with a CDM manifold and using a Facet fuel pump with no regulator, again with no issues.

A good fuel pressure for a Weber progressive is about 3 psi.

I do not run a choke or Vacuum advance so I cannot help there.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

jameson

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: Honda Ballad 150EW (pop ups)
all of this is lovely for me as i am from south africa and modifying a EW 1.5 carb is really difficult but hearing what you guys are saying is making thinds alot more lovelier wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Its not the size of your motor Its the size of your heart

F22hb

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 RT4wd wago & 86 Hatchback
QUOTE (Mark L @ May 26 2008, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just swapped to a 32/36 weber progressive from a CVCC carb which was already devaced.
I started with a Pierce manifold and 3 old carbs which were left over from my air cooled VW days.
For the record, this is what i came up with for jetting.

Primary Main 140
Secondary main 137
primary air correction 165
secondary air correction 160
primary emulsion F50
Secondary emulsion F6
Acceleration pump nozzle 50
Needle seat 200
I do not have the vacuum advance hooked up.
The damn thing fired right up and I only had to tweak the idle mixture about 1/4 turn.

After adjustment, the thing run very smooth throughout the RPM range. I can make it idle at 300 rpm if I want. No flats spots at all.
I haven't looked at the plugs yet, but I am very impressed.

Mark L.

What altitude was this at?

Mark L

QUOTE (F22hb @ May 5 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What altitude was this at?

My house is at 150' above sea level.
I race at places at about 1400 feet above sea level. At 10 F I went to a slightly larger main jet. This was all seat of the pants tuning.

I could use a bit more tuning around the mid range. I would do that if it was a street driven car.

I am now running a Si motor with a CDN manifold and a custom adapter.

Mark
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com