Devac'd Carb Flooding Badly

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

esty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 prelude 87 crx 76 bmw 2002
i devac'd my 87 and hopefully have everything correct...i couldn't find any vac leaks after plugging everything...i didn't remove any of the extra's fasten'd to the carb...the problems i'm having is it will idle really well, very smoothly for a few minutes after, warm up, then slowly die but starts easy.....and if i turn off the ignition when it's running well, it runs on and loads up with gas, flooding the engine, making it hard to start

any ideas or suggestions on what to look at

Edited by esty, 07 July 2007 - 11:25 AM.

DarkHand

Take a picture of your carb and lets see how you did. For my first devac, my carb literally overflowed with gas because I plugged the gas tank vent line. Make sure you leave that open. biggrin.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 08 July 2007 - 06:39 PM.

DarkHand

esty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (DarkHand @ Jul 8 2007, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take a picture of your carb and lets see how you did. For my first devac, my carb literally overflowed with gas because I plugged the gas tank vent line. Make sure you leave that open. biggrin.gif

thank you for the help...i just bought this car thru ebay...i replaced the bad carb with this one...it runs really well but has the 2 problems i described above...slowly dying or if i turn it off while it's running, runs on and floods really bad....the only thing i have attached and not plug'd is the fuel line and the secondary thin, on the front of the carb...i have no idea which is the tank vent line

Edited by esty, 08 July 2007 - 08:34 PM.

Sgt. Pepper

QUOTE (esty @ Jul 7 2007, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i devac'd my 87 and hopefully have everything correct...i couldn't find any vac leaks after plugging everything...i didn't remove any of the extra's fasten'd to the carb...the problems i'm having is it will idle really well, very smoothly for a few minutes after, warm up, then slowly die but starts easy.....and if i turn off the ignition when it's running well, it runs on and loads up with gas, flooding the engine, making it hard to start

any ideas or suggestions on what to look at

Can't help you with the devac........but nice rex! Looks pretty clean.
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
Youdont have the hose hooked up in the right spots. look the gallery and search dev'vac
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

73hp

• i go fast...well i try to...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 civic, 97 mpv, '91 teg, AH-64 Apache...
    • Image Gallery
man oh man...i remember those days....the dvac pics help, but trial and error work best for me...i know its a pain, but get rid or ALL the boxes, and hoses etc....cap ema ll of when your done..back of engine and everything...leave open the tank preure releif on the firewall where the charcoal canister is..it looks like alittle nipple coming out the firewall...is your distributor hooked up correctly?dont try any "mods"till the car is devacd properly first. THE CAR IS "DIESELING"...your timing is advanced too much...you can use your clutch when you cut the car off to stop it...put it in gear and let of the cluch when stopped in driveway ...it wont do the running thing.....or get a weber...well worth it.
damn exhaust shop cracked my header... i need one badly...anyone got 1 for sale......lemme know pls.

esty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rollz87civic @ Jul 9 2007, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Youdont have the hose hooked up in the right spots. look the gallery and search dev'vac

before i posted here, i believe i read all the devac threads ever posted...or at least all that i could find using various search terms...most of the pictures posted by other members are long gone and no longer available and the pictures did have available were just so much help...

you mention "You dont have the hose hooked up in the right spots"...would you be interested in telling me which hose(s) and where it/they are supposed to be? and if you know, what's causing the flooding?

DarkHand

It looks close, but a few seem off. I agree, since you're this far in, pull off everything that's not connected anymore so you can get a clearer view. All the vacuum boxes, hardlines, etc. Having the whole engine bay open and easier to work in is one of the main reasons for doing the devac anyway. biggrin.gif
DarkHand

esty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (DarkHand @ Jul 9 2007, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks close, but a few seem off. I agree, since you're this far in, pull off everything that's not connected anymore so you can get a clearer view. All the vacuum boxes, hardlines, etc. Having the whole engine bay open and easier to work in is one of the main reasons for doing the devac anyway. biggrin.gif

i do plan on removing all the clutter, i did remove the box on the inner fender but have been more focused and concern'd with getting the car running properly rather than removing the box on the firewall...but i am going to remove that as well

anyone want to tell me which is the fuel tank vent hose...that could be the cause of the flooding and dying...maybe

esty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
here you go guys, i removed the box from the firewall...

DarkHand

QUOTE (esty @ Jul 9 2007, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here you go guys, i removed the box from the firewall...

That's looking better! There's lots more to pull, but that already will help. biggrin.gif

The tank vent is on the firewall next to the two fuel lines. It's the farthest left red line in your last photo, next to the wiper motor and up and to the right of the AC lines. It looks like it's hooked up to the charcoal canister right now (which is correct, normally), but the canister might be full or stuck closed since it can't be controlled properly after a devac. Try pulling that line and running it that way for a while.

Also, this doesn't quite look right:

Unless you have locked timing (which you might have, I don't know), you need to tee off of the vacuum line running between the carb and the secondary diaphragm, and connect that to your distributor. I see a tee'd line to the bottom-left of the picture, which very well may be your distributor line, but I can't quite see where you've got it going.

Edited by DarkHand, 09 July 2007 - 02:49 PM.

DarkHand

esty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (DarkHand @ Jul 9 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's looking better! There's lots more to pull, but that already will help. biggrin.gif

The tank vent is on the firewall next to the two fuel lines. It's the farthest left red line in your last photo, next to the wiper motor and up and to the right of the AC lines. It looks like it's hooked up to the charcoal canister right now (which is correct, normally), but the canister might be full or stuck closed since it can't be controlled properly after a devac. Try pulling that line and running it that way for a while.
Also, this doesn't quite look right:

Unless you have locked timing (which you might have, I don't know), you need to tee off of the vacuum line running between the carb and the secondary diaphragm, and connect that to your distributor. I see a tee'd line to the bottom-left of the picture, which very well may be your distributor line, but I can't quite see where you've got it going.

here's where my dizzy is connected....bottom of carb, below where fuel line connects...under the secondary diaphragm

should i move it as you described?

DarkHand

Yep, cap that on the carb and move that line over to the same circuit that the secondary is on cause that's definitely not right, but I don't think that would cause the problem you're having.

What's on the other part of the brown tee on that line?

Edited by DarkHand, 10 July 2007 - 09:59 AM.

DarkHand

esty

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i got the car running better than it has since i bought it...it idles very smoothly and revs like you'd expect but....

i can't get the idle down to where it's suppose to be...the lowest idle i can get is approx 1800 rpm's...i can't find any vac leaks, etc....anything else i might have missed that will bring down the high idle?

DarkHand

QUOTE (esty @ Jul 14 2007, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got the car running better than it has since i bought it...it idles very smoothly and revs like you'd expect but....

i can't get the idle down to where it's suppose to be...the lowest idle i can get is approx 1800 rpm's...i can't find any vac leaks, etc....anything else i might have missed that will bring down the high idle?

If it's capped, try uncapping the fast idle diaphragm, the black plastic module on the carb on the back left (when you're at the front of the car facing the firewall). I was stuck on fast idle the first time I devacced because of this. The car was in fast idle mode and couldn't kick down because the fast idle diaphragm couldn't move. Uncapping the ports allowed the diaphragm to move around and kick down.

Also check the idle speed at the idle control screw, as well as the tension of the throttle cable (there should be none, and lots of free slack. You should be able to move the cable around by about a half centimeter before it puts any pressure on the throttle at all).
DarkHand