Looking For Pics Of Carb Filters Or Hats

• You cannot reply to this topic
62 replies to this topic

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i know there is a few here that have taken off the stock carb hat and filter. i have learned it holds back some power in restrition. so im now looking for a diff style of filter for it. i can run it open but i dont like to if something go tin there the engine would be toast.

what you guys have for pics and info. thanks.

and yes i look for them and found one most the gallury is sill missing pics fomr people not fixing them.

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
put some mesh over it so nothing big wil go in all it a day

:-P

ive seen people cut the stock shroud thing so the filter area is all exposed, im gonna do this i just need me some tin snips argh

i would imagein that would be as good as an alternate carb hat
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

crazi-85crx

WickedClown

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic powwwah suck my SOHC
[quote=crazi-85crx,Jul 11 2006, 06:25 PM]

dammit that looks bush mechanic style tongue.gif
heres another idea for ya anyways .. keep the stock air filter pan and slap a k&n filter in it then take a drill with a wide wide mouth on it and proceed to drill "speed holes" in the filter housing and slap some nice meshing over the holes ( leave prevention), then with the cold air intake that runs stock on the car take it off .. and get a phatter piece of tubing .. if ya want it to look neat try mandrel bent stainless
im going to do this so that way when the police pull me up it looks all pretty standard
its all just an idea anyhow cut air boxes do work tho .. and you get awsome induction noise biggrin.gif

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
I believe K&N makes a filter that will fit the stock carb hat.

I have seen photos where a slightly taller filter was used lifting the lid of the pan away from the bottom (all else being equal, the more area the filter media has the better it will flow). I don't think there's much clearance between the hood & the top of the pan though.

I should add...
There's a reason for the filter on the carb being where it is vs the filter placement on an FI car.
If the airflow going into the mouth of the carb is coming from one side the carb won't flow as much air as it will generate turbulence on one side of the carb throat effectively making it smaller (and possibly messing with the vacuum signal the carb uses to meter fuel). The round filter around the carb mouth helps ensure fairlyy even flow from all sides.
If you look at the design of the inside of the smaller round cap on top of the DPFI throttle body on a 4th gen Civic you will see a couple of baffles that can only be there to help stop crosswise flow accross the top of the throttle body's mouth.

crazi-85crx

1stGenRex

• Easily Amused....
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
flip the lid on the carb cover upside down and dive it around for a bit...tell me if it doesnt make a slight differance
1GRPhotography
MySpace
I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
30 bucks at ct

05192012083.jpg

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
jjaimie, you really ought to do an indepth write up on this. Measurements and all. THat is great.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
linky to build
My Webpage
05192012083.jpg

crxboi

• Got Rice?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1989 CR-X Ef8 RHD , 1993 CR-X DEL SOL EG2 RHD
here is mine!!!

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Surestick @ Jul 11 2006, 07:22 AM)
There's a reason for the filter on the carb being where it is vs the filter placement on an FI car.
If the airflow going into the mouth of the carb is coming from one side the carb won't flow as much air as it will generate turbulence on one side of the carb throat effectively making it smaller (and possibly messing with the vacuum signal the carb uses to meter fuel). The round filter around the carb mouth helps ensure fairlyy even flow from all sides.
If you look at the design of the inside of the  smaller round cap on top of the DPFI throttle body on a 4th gen Civic you will see a couple of baffles that can only be there to help stop crosswise flow accross the top of the throttle body's mouth

this is why i went my way. i have pulled those plates befor no a 1.6 civic an it ran like shit and the mpg went down.
05192012083.jpg

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I just cut the stock housing off of the base, then got a k&n.

Edited by CRXfanatic, 19 July 2006 - 08:20 AM.

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

84crx06

• 85crx06
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 crx
QUOTE (crxboi @ Jul 19 2006, 12:48 AM)
here is mine!!!

Hey, where did you get that intake? I have one for an older civic, i think like a late 90's that i got for free. The intake pipe wont fit w/ the stock air cleaner. So I'm trying to find a intake elbow or something to go over my carb and connect with the intake pipe! So, where did you get it? or did you make it? and if you did, HOW???
thanks again!

crxboi

• Got Rice?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1989 CR-X Ef8 RHD , 1993 CR-X DEL SOL EG2 RHD
QUOTE (84crx06 @ Jul 23 2006, 05:32 PM)
Hey, where did you get that intake? I have one for an older civic, i think like a late 90's that i got for free. The intake pipe wont fit w/ the stock air cleaner. So I'm trying to find a intake elbow or something to go over my carb and connect with the intake pipe! So, where did you get it? or did you make it? and if you did, HOW???
thanks again!

Alright well my hommie phatboycrxhf cool.gif made it for me thats the carb hat and the air filter is off an fc rx7 thats k&n.. phatboycrxhf is a great seller you should ask him to throw one together for you aswell... biggrin.gif

Edited by crxboi, 23 July 2006 - 05:39 PM.