Bike Carbs Done! Very Happy.

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

crazi-85crx

QUOTE (Ghost-One @ May 21 2006, 02:50 PM)
what kind of fuel pressure do you got going on here?

~2-2.5 psi

Shinobi's_Underwear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Mugen Mooncraft B-16 turbo.
I've noticed a couple of people getting geared up for carb swaps! I'm still here to help if anyone needs it. Sorry for the non-video making ass I've been, but I'm working my ass off on my new garage (toy-factory). Using the shop I work at makes projects take forever. NO MORE, hehe!

Kurt

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Looks like a nice setup, well done.

I see this as somthing kind of out of the normal thinking and for this reason it realy gets me going .

I run a hydra engine in my civic a hydra is a "ew2 block with integra twin cam head and 88zc pistons. somthing out of the normal gess. This little engine just wants to screem and bike carbys seem to be a good match for this kind of engine.

One thing though I had been getting all geared up for boost on this engine and I am now 80% there with all the parts.After reading this post of yours I am starting to realy thinking about what kind of car I want to end up with. I live the snap the NA engines have and the simple engine bay with that unclutterd look .

As well as the fact that my efi has been giving me the shi** this last couple of weeks with all kinds of funny glitches . I have made up my mind that efi and boost isn't for me at least not for a little while .I will keep my turbo gear but perhaps for another day .

I went out today and got myself a set of bike carbs, Mikuni BDSR40,s from a Yamaha R1 super bike 1999 model. as the name would sugest they have a 40mm choke. The thing i like about them is that they allso have a throttle position sensor on them from factory. I plan on yusing this to trigger an electronic ignition timming unit.

The bike they came of had about 20,000km on the clock and from what I can see they look like new. I picked up a factory R1 airbox and will se how I go fitting this to.The carbs allso came with a set of rubber stacks on the intake side .

One other big reason for picking the R1 carbys is I was put on to this web page that talkes about a shop in the Uk I think that dose a lot bike carbs on car setups. They had a soft spot for the R1 carbys .somthing about easy tuning and smooth power delivery. I hope they know what they are on about. Have a read for your self like below.

link to bike carb artical http://hausbrauen.bl...bike-carbs.html

and some pics of my carbs

Now i have some Questions .

What fuel pump should use? low pressure electric set to 2-3 psi I am gessing.
What do the bikes use for a fuel pump?
Can some one fill me in a bit about the rubber stacks that came with my carbs, do people just run the open - no filter . Are they some kind of tuned length?

Thanks guys, keep up the good work .The more information we can suply the better. I will keep you all posted.

vaughan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 honda civc wagovan, 00 silverado
    • Image Gallery
i think you could do a search on here on fuel pumps and get a good idea of what people use and think are good. should be the same as a regualer carb. 2-4 psi . bikes do not use fuel pumps they are gravity feed. as far as volesity stack. i don't know didly. some of this stuff. might be trial and errior to see what works best for you. keep us posted. i my interested in trying this my self one day
user posted image
Si Wagovan-Clan Member

Shinobi's_Underwear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Mugen Mooncraft B-16 turbo.
QUOTE (vaughan @ Aug 12 2006, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think you could do a search on here on fuel pumps and get a good idea of what people use and think are good. should be the same as a regualer carb. 2-4 psi . bikes do not use fuel pumps they are gravity feed. as far as volesity stack. i don't know didly. some of this stuff. might be trial and errior to see what works best for you. keep us posted. i my interested in trying this my self one day

It was a GREAT car. I miss it. Did a carb rebuild a year later, and sold the "thing" to a slighty un-Honda person. What was I thinking... Oh well. Round two is always funner smile.gif

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (Shinobi's_Underwear @ Dec 20 2011, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was a GREAT car. I miss it. Did a carb rebuild a year later, and sold the "thing" to a slighty un-Honda person. What was I thinking... Oh well. Round two is always funner smile.gif

LOL, well then, welcome back.

The funny thing is, I never saw this thread until today... And I have a set of R1 carbs with their stock electric pump sitting on the shelf behind me. When I popped them into my CRX the thing fired right up, the only reason I didn't keep them in the car is that they didn't line up well with the chopped DX manifold I threw them on. And the rubber adapters I used to attach them to the manifold collapsed under vacuum and were not fuel resistant.

I intended to make my own manifold, but never got around to it.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
Good to have you back, my first two bike carb projects were under-engineered but I'm hoping to fix that eventually. I hope you share your experiences again.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

bigboi407

• Anti-Government Official
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 2wd, 1986 Civic Si, 1990 Accord DX, 1994 Suzuki RF900R
    Garage View Garage
I would like to build a Bike Carb setup, and this thread is in my favorites for info resource, would anyone mind explaining some things to me if i cant figure them out, who would be the one to ask?? my brother knows how to work on bike carbs and is willin to teach me as much as he knows.....

But hes doesnt know so much about the EW engine

i was reading somewhere about changing the valve springs or something of that sorts... I WILL Search through RPR As much as possible to best answer most my questions

1984-1987 HONDA CIVIC CRX PARTS FOR SALE 1/25/12

I drive with a Lead-foot for Two Reasons--> 1. i like to be out front of the idiots that dont know how to drive 2. i like to the hear the sound of my engine..