Something Is Wrong With My Devac?

• You cannot reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
probably not necessary. try getting it to make it idle at 2xxxrpm like you said it would at a stop sign and see if you can force the throttle back with your hand- if it is stuck and you can push it back with your hand- you have an issue that might require some thought, probably vacuum/cap related.
It's more likely that something else is sticking like the choke or one of the misc. diaphragms which BTW should ALL be vented and NOT capped except the one that actuates the secondary barrel which is (should be) connected to a vacuum line/source

If that doesn't work try disconnecting your secondary (make sure to block off the vacuum supply with a cap) and see how it does. I warn you the car will act funny if you give it throttle over a certain point ~60%

and if THAT doesn't work, post anything you notice and we can go from there

since seafoaming, you will want to (nearly) finish off this current tank of gas and then do an oil change at which point it might not be a bad idea to run a thicker oil like 20w50 castrol (imo best oil on the market esp. for an old engine like this) that is what a lot of the racers here recommend and so do I.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic Crx
alright ill give it a try, in the mean time i went down to home depot and got alot stiffer spring cause operantly no auto parts store carries such a spring so i will tell u how it goes cool.gif ohhhhhhhhhhhh by the way, the reason i came to this conclusion is cause i push back on the throttle assembly and it does lower the idle after i drive it so my only thought was a stiffer spring and i did do this without the throttle cable hooked up so i now its not that and but i do have another idea im gonna try so i will be back in a few hours to tell everyone the results biggrin.gif

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Jul 28 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
probably not necessary. try getting it to make it idle at 2xxxrpm like you said it would at a stop sign and see if you can force the throttle back with your hand- if it is stuck and you can push it back with your hand- you have an issue that might require some thought, probably vacuum/cap related.
It's more likely that something else is sticking like the choke or one of the misc. diaphragms which BTW should ALL be vented and NOT capped except the one that actuates the secondary barrel which is (should be) connected to a vacuum line/source

If that doesn't work try disconnecting your secondary (make sure to block off the vacuum supply with a cap) and see how it does. I warn you the car will act funny if you give it throttle over a certain point ~60%

and if THAT doesn't work, post anything you notice and we can go from there

since seafoaming, you will want to (nearly) finish off this current tank of gas and then do an oil change at which point it might not be a bad idea to run a thicker oil like 20w50 castrol (imo best oil on the market esp. for an old engine like this) that is what a lot of the racers here recommend and so do I.

biggrin.gif alright guys she runs like a dream i cant stop driving her, ok i what i did is i added some vacuum to the diaphragm on

the very front passenger side of the carb and as i put the line on it i watched the throttle linkage move and the idle went

down i even got it to idle at 100rpm very smoothly i couldn't even tell it was on until i looked at the rpm's and it sat there for

a while until it stalled but what i did in all for anyone who had the same problems as me is i took off the a cap from the very

front of the carb on the driver side it should be a very large cap and then a ran a vacuum line from the base of the carb on

the driver side from under the carb it should look like its connected to the small barrel to the a diaphragm on the passenger

side of the carb in the very front it should be connected to the throttle linkage, but my last problem is when i was driving the

car stalled out twice but only when it was in neutral or i had my foot on the clutch and the dropped very quickly the so i

pooped it into 2nd and dumped the clutch to start her and she came to life fairly quickly so i raced home to see what was up

and i pulled into my driveway she was idling just fine at 1000rpm pretty steady bobing up to 1100 slowly so i when through

the the rpms and they where nice and crisp so i hel the throttle at 3000 for like 15secs and let of as quick as i could and

came back pretty quick but as soon as it hit 1500rpm it slowed down and sat there idling at 1300rpm for a while the slowly

cam back down does anyone know what i should do maybe im running to lean

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
pics

btw you don't have to double space like you do when you write essays in school! haha good that you get used to it though, that's practically all college is- writing.

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Jul 29 2008, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pics

btw you don't have to double space like you do when you write essays in school! haha good that you get used to it though, that's practically all college is- writing.

alright i will post pics and a vid tell me how

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
at the top, click gallery- I think there is a link somewhere in there to get one set up. if not PM a mod and ask them... BP likes to be bothered you can pm him laugh.gif

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Jul 30 2008, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at the top, click gallery- I think there is a link somewhere in there to get one set up. if not PM a mod and ask them... BP likes to be bothered you can pm him laugh.gif

alright im gonna make a vid soon and ill just put everything that i can show u on there its a nice video recorder so the quality should be good ill put it on you tube and post the link here

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
that'll work

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK, im such a fucking dumb ass u guys don't even know right now i wish i could go back in time right now so bad fuck so i fucking stop myself from doing that damn devac fuck fuck fuck. k so this is what happened i was reading my states emissions laws for hahas and giggles cause i thought i had the perfect plan my plan was to do the devac and pay a mechanic 400$ to put in a new cat to get a waiver for emissions so i was reading and and it turns out all i have to do is pay a mechanic atleast 150$ which made my day right so i was reading and reading and then i came upon this sentence "the original emissions equipment must be existing on the vehicle and fully functional" and i read that atleast 15 times cause i couldn't believe it cause i thought i had a fool proof plan and i was happy as could be but now since there is virtually no emissions equipment on the car im screwed so i guess my car is gonna get crushed i cant believe my crx is gonna get crushed cause of one little sentence! fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck! i really did scream this word this many times and most of u can see why

DarkHand

Ouch! That's why you always have to check out your state's emissions laws! Depending on how strict your state is you might still be able to find someone to squeak you through.

What shape is the car in? You could always sell it to someone in a non-emissions state if you had to.

EDIT: I wonder if we should start trying to put together a map of which states it's safe to devac in and which it's not. A quick look online shows that it would be almost impossible to research since the rules are changing so quickly, so we'd have to survey people about their state.
DarkHand

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
im still hoping that it will pass cause i have 4 more months to get it to pass on my day off im gonna go take her to emissions im hoping she just barely fails cause i can throw on a new cat cause mine caught on fire so im assuming its done then hopefully it will pass if not my other option is to wait to more years so emissions doesn't apply to me but i dont know if my mom will let me keep her that long im only 15 and i have no where to take her mad.gif

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
bla bla bla they say the same thing here in texas and I AM AN INSPECTOR.
our jobs are a PITA and we are in a hustle to get cars done so go when the place is busy, make EVERYTHING look like it's done correctly, they won't look at it very hard honestly especially if it looks like it might be all in order. just talk to the inspector before you take it in, they should be understanding- if not piss on 'em you can go somewhere else.

-the wire plugs from the black boxes, tuck them away out of sight.
-the bolt stubs on the passenger side, get two nuts on them and take the screw out then put a bolt in them so it looks like something is properly bolted in.
-get metal vacuum caps installed, otherwise say that the carb is aftermarket universal for various cars and those vacuum ports aren't for this car.
-use some spare vacuum tubes to connect to manifold vacuum ports and recirculate them onto other voided vacuum ports on the manifold
-the EGR and the other white valve thing on the up side of the manifold close to the head- route vacuum lines to each other going UNDER the manifold- out of sight! one of the ports on the white plastic valve on the driver side will need to be capped but run a vacuum line under the manifold to it and cap it with a bolt in the other end with a hose clamp if you're cheap for the temporary like me smile.gif
-make sure the egr tube from the manifold is routed behind the engine block out of sight and plugged with no leakage.
-apply this logic to whatever I may have left out

If you can find any, you could get some E85 ethanol-gasoline (see link) use 2-3 gallons per full tank of regular gas to help lean it out a bit if you think it might run rich... it should be alright just make sure your air filter is very good or new.
http://www.e85refuel...te=WAWashington
there could be others unlisted

just stick with it, we can get you through this.

...and then again you could always register it in another state instead haha

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
wow thanks dude i think for my birthday which is on August 26th for my only present im ask my mom to keep the car no matter what ohhhhh and some royal purple and a new oil filter biggrin.gif thanks for the help dude i was actually thinking about making it look like it had all the stuff hooked up like u said but now i know that it should work im gonna try it

86 civic crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
alright guys after some begging i can keep the crx as long as i have a job and i pay for everything for the next year i got almost everything figured out i just need to know why when i hold the gas for a long period of time at any rpm it and let it go it drops like a rock and dies?

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I say rebuild the carb... might not be the reason but it'd surely help