Boosted Carb Setup

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
ok, i have an 84 civic HB with a 1.3L and a 4speed.

soon to be replacing said 4speed with a 5speed and a stage 1 clutch.

now, i was under the immpression that only FI cars could be boosted.

but i was reading through the forums and came acroos a thread regarding boosting a carbed civic!

now, thats something i could get into, but i need a very detailed how-to on how to go about making this work.

IE: parts list, steps to take, problems to watch out for.

i know everyone and thier dog has gone to a v-tec and boost, but i love the mpg my car gets i just wish it had a bit more power, for passing on the highway, tooling around town, etc.

the 1.3L in my car is from an 86 and it was just recently rebuilt and it has an newer cdn 86 rebuilt top draft carb on it. i was reading through your forums looking for info on dual carb setups, but i think a single boosted carb setup would work better for me
(less links in the chain to get broken)

here is a link to my car http://www.elderwolv...=view_album.php

yes those are leather 10way power, heated, lumbar supported Yukon Denali seats in it.

yes my hubby and i did all the bodywork and paint on it.

and hey, thanks for hosting a very informative site!!!! biggrin.gif

-Kicking it OldsKewl-

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg

JDN14

not my taste but well done.

Unfortunately i cant help with your question. Just prepare for leghumpers and welcome!

enjoy,

Jacques
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
Welcome to rpr! tongue.gif

Car looks awesome! Those denali seats look pretty comfy.

If you're looking for more power, instead of reinventing the wheel and fabbing
a turbo carb setup, you might aswell;

1. convert the car to Fi
2. swap 1.6L DOHC D16A1 motor from an 86-87 integra

That will probably be enough of a power gain to make you smile.

j

PS, those seats are impeeding your performance since they probably weigh a ton!.
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

Richard

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: NZDM? 85' Civic Hatch LX- D16A1,92 Toyota Soarer Big Single and a Bunch of Other Stuff
youd be much better off with a d16

not to be insulting, but i think your car is overly tacky.

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
looks like a big zit.... no offence

like 5 posts down from this one. is a thread called 13psi blow threw turbo carb setup.... maybe you should look there. tongue.gif

Edited by C_piddy, 09 September 2005 - 03:29 PM.

no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
yes, the seats are heavy! about 250lbs for both of them. but thier comfy and i really dont care about going fast all the time, its a daily driver and it needs to be comfy and cheap to drive.

the paint job was done by my hubby and i, the paint was free and it was the shiniest of the free stuff we could find, actually, his Jeep is painted with the same stuff, just no yellow.

to be honest, i didnt ask for your opinion, what i did ask for was a parts list and any other available information.

if i had wanted to do a swap i could no doubt find plenty of info on that topic, but seeing as i'm not interested in a swap (see above, comfy and CHEAP to drive) and really into boosting my carbed 1.3L thats what i'd like the info for.

see, with a swap comes the ecu: my car doesnt have one... oh, and an engine $750+
trans= $300+, axles+?, fuel system, mounts, shift linkage, various suspension bits nevermind the fact that i've just blown $2000+ but i'll also lose my fuel economy.

i was cruising the forums looking for ways to ghettofab more power into a small car on the cheap.

i did in fact read through the posts on the boosted blow-through carb, but it was light on a parts list.

any other info would be great.

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
pm eldo......

he did it. he will have a parts list....

oh and maybe you could be a little more specific with your parts list.... man!

not alot of people turbo their carbed 1.3 liters....... but i think you would be the only one with this set up if you complete it. that set up would be totaly unreliable unless you tune it with a wide band even then the jets would be hard to adjust with a stock carb. it's like you would have to have different carbs and set it up three different ways, finding the best fuel mixture,

this is if you stay with your stock carb mind you...

all in all turbo projects have tons of hidden costs, the simplest thing to do would be to d16a1 the car, because, it would stay reliable, it would be cheep, it still would burn alot less gass, the ecu will controll things like timing and fuel you wouldn't have issues with smog. lets seee. the list can go on... plus why turbo it? with 1.3l rods, and an unsafe mixture your looking into some serous trouble...

do i make sence?

all in all you say you need reliability and if you want that in a dailydriver don't turbo it, and that opinion is magnified ten fold because its carbed.

why couldn't you guys just paint it one color, it pains me to see a third gen like that.

chris

Edited by C_piddy, 09 September 2005 - 05:42 PM.

Dr. Strangelove

Richard

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: NZDM? 85' Civic Hatch LX- D16A1,92 Toyota Soarer Big Single and a Bunch of Other Stuff
well, if your truly interested in the boosted carb set up youll need an hf or si manifold, since they end high enough up for a turbo. then youll need the turbo itself. since your mainly looking for something with pep and not top end go with a smaller(most usually cheaper too) turbo. then youll need charge pipes and a decent intercooler. then comes the custom carb hat. bblow off valves and such. if your only running 5-6 psi i imagine you can just richen the mixture as much as possible, but for the most power youd need to rejet your carb and tune it with a wideband. dont forget all the other small things like redoing your exhaust, higher flow electric pump, pressure regulators.

so lets go over it.

cheap dsm t-25- 100 usd ebay is prolly your best bet
decent fmic- 100-500
charge pipes-50
fuel pump and regulator- 100
and the headache it will take to tune and get your setup running decent, at a shop might run 150-200 bucks.

or you can get your own wideband and use the si bung and tune it yourself but the wideband setup will cost like 350.

id count on atleast 600-700 min for the set up.

where i know if you wait a month you could find a 1st gen teg running and swap the d16 for 500$ but as you said, your not interested in our advice.

your coming off kind of rude, the people on this sites have been dealing with these cars for many years, i have not. ive just read my options and im going the route of the d16 swap. ive found motor,trans,knuckles and axles for 350$ and ecu and wiring harness for 100$ and thats canadian. wish you luck with what ever you choose

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
i dont mean to come off rude, just a couple of the replies werent warrented, like i had not done any research on my own. i have, a swap i would love to do, but with rising gas prices its not an option, i just came across eldo's project and thought that would be a good option for want I want to do with MY car.

i'm sure other people have differing opinions on thier tastes in cars.

thats what makes us enthusiasts.

as i said before, doing a swap means more money, this is a $600 car.
i intended on getting most of my parts from the bone yard.

i didnt plan on 13lbs of boost, more like 5-8lbs tops.

i do plan on new pipes front to back, magnaflow obviously.

my husband is a toolman/partsman at the local trades college in autobody.

this is my very first import car, my last project car was an 86 chevette with a 4.6L buick engine..... i miss that car sad.gif

the car was painted that way to get peoples attention, because most people in my city drive huge SUV's, never shoulder check, never use signals, dont give a shit and i dont feel like being traffic statistic, and most of the paint was free BASF Carrizzma.

i like the engine because its cheap to run, and its new! well newer... we just went on vacation, we did close to 1800 klms on $120CDN in gas with the car and it was carrying close to 900lbs of stuff (250 for the seats, 280 for the people, 300lbs for the camping gear and a full tank of gas.

and we drove it through the Rocky Mountains like that!

we even made a luggage rack that goes under the rear bumper which most of you will hate as well *shrugs* its my car and it suits my needs right?

so yes i am most interested in at least trying this out, if it doesnt work, then i can still use the intake tube to make a CAI, as i cant use any old cai for my application, top draft carb right....

anyway, i dont mean to come off rude, i just thought it would be a cool project for my hubby and i to challenge, if it doesnt work, then i can either revert to stock, or if it blows up, i'll have a good excuse to do a swap right biggrin.gif

thanks for all the good posts tho, they helped:)

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (JeepGirl @ Sep 9 2005, 06:19 PM)
i dont mean to come off rude, just a couple of the replies werent warrented, like i had not done any research on my own. i have, a swap i would love to do, but with rising gas prices its not an option, i just came across eldo's project and thought that would be a good option for want I want to do with MY car.

thanks for all the good posts tho, they helped:)

Okay, if fuel economy is on your priority list for the project scrap the turbo idea....lol, trust me.

j
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
turbo would cost twice as much as a d16a1 swap and you would burn half the fuel then you would with a carb turbo....

turbo + honda = highly unreliable

and honestly it doesn't seem like you did alot of research... because your questions are very vage.... if you did research you would be asking questions like......

what sort oil lines do i need for the turbo... what kind of manifold or adapter can i get..... how do i raise the fuel presure?

those would be questions of someone who has doen there homework and needs some help. not some one who is like... i want to turbo what do i need?

chris ph34r.gif

Edited by C_piddy, 10 September 2005 - 06:43 PM.

Dr. Strangelove

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
ok, i did more reading and you guys are right, sorry, just got bitten by the whole idea of having a boosted carb setup.... my bad.

i still might ask some dumb questions tho. i am still learning after all.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (C_piddy @ Sep 10 2005, 05:40 PM)
turbo would cost twice as much as a d16a1 swap and you would burn half the fuel then you would with a carb turbo....

turbo + honda = highly unreliable

and honestly it doesn't seem like you did alot of research... because your questions are very vage.... if you did research you would be asking questions like......

what sort oil lines do i need for the turbo... what kind of manifold or adapter can i get..... how do i raise the fuel presure?

those would be questions of someone who has doen there homework and needs some help. not some one who is like... i want to turbo what do i need?

chris ph34r.gif

i actually know how a turbo works, i know what parts i need already, i'm just unsure about carb work.... but thats why i'm asking questions.

i am going to be doing a swap, but not till next year. i'm buying an engine from someone on this board and im going to rebuild it, so in the mean time i want to take a practice run at building a carbed turbo setup on my 1.3L, kinda like a dry run before i try to do it on my new motor.

please dont be so discouraging to people that are just trying to learn, and just because i'm a girl doesnt mean i cant get my hands dirty and wrench on my own car.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
so anyway, i was thinking of going ghetto and sourcing the turbo, IC and some piping from a junkyard chevy sprint and getting the pipe trades class to bend up the charge piping for me as well as new exaust pipe from the turbo back to the muffler. i can get a really good deal (wholesale) on a new magna flow muffler.

i have 3 working carbs to try this with now all i need is a couple of gauges, a rising rate regulator a new holley fuel pump and some good step-by-step pics of how to boost prep the carb. i can have metal trades rough me out some flanges then i'll port match them and my exaust mani.

i'm also going to devac the engine adv my timing.

what plugs would you suggest?

what about gaskets between the turbo/mani, turbo/charge pipe. should i just make some out of copper sheet? if so, how thick?

i was thinking of using brakeline or something similar for oil lines and i'll have him order me the fittings. good idea or no?

i'm not so much concerned about mileage anymore, i makes more money now and the car is silly cheap on gas, even tho i only use the expensive stuff from 7-11.

i already have a rebuilt 5spd that i'm going to use, it has a fairly new clutch in it, can i use the flywheel as well so i dont have to go get one machined, i'd like to avoid that step if possible. i'm going from a shiot 4spd to the new 5spd and wondering if i'm going to run into any problems swapping the flywheel.

i'm going to reuse most of this stuff when i do my engine swap next year except the turbo, because i'll prolly want more topend umph.

sound ok so far?

any suggestions?

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
K this is what ive learned so far:

The turbo: look for a sab 2.2 liter. Good turbo and reliable.
The exhaust man: HF or SI
Exhaust: 2 3/4"
Accesories: pressure gage, EFP, Regulator, oil lines, intercooler, hf rad
Spark plugs: something hotter than stock, kinda has to be messed with, Iridium integra plugs.
Carb: Get a 1.5 liter carb/weber carb 32/36
Oil lines: High pressure steel braided rubber hose.
Gaskets: Copper 5/32 thick
Adapter: Has to be made for mani, and carb. Dont weld it on, what if you want to change the carb later.
Charge Pipe: Rubber adapters and normal turbo tubing, mandrell bends and such.

You may have to rejet the carb, if you do want to, i would recomend a weber since parts are cheap and very plentiful. Dont go with the big honking integra motor, too much weight. K as for the engine, 1.5 liter, Si head would be better, or a hydra. Its all up to you. I still have mine if you want it.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719