Should 1st/3rd Gens Come With A Warning?

• You cannot reply to this topic
44 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Consider a young person who wants to become part of the "Honda scene" and by chance his selection turns out to be a 1st Gen CRX or a 3rd Gen Civic. Picture the disapointment on his face when he learns that his new aquisition is completely different from the cars he sees in all the magazines and there is little to no aftermarket support for his car.

Maybe our old cars should come with a label: "WARNING! This car is not like the other Hondas. You will have to scrounge in junkyards or fabricate your own parts to make this car go fast. Not recommended for the imagination challenged."

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

damasocrx

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 Crx si, 2001 Cadillac sls
Yeah I felt that way when trying to find some headers for my 87 crx si, d15a3. I managed to get a cold air intake in it but i had do modify the tube.
I dont really have anything to complain about my cars good gas, and 17 bucks and it has a filled tank. I guess if you work hard enough you can
find any part you need for a crx.

bobdragster

• Without 無限Limit
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1980 Honda Prelude
    Garage View Garage
1st gen CRX's in America are peices of crap and thats why the market abandoned them.

We got the shitty engine and the fault lies there. Unless someone bought the car and took extremely well care of it since day 1, then it's completely dead by now.

I'm irritated because mine was dying before I even bought the thing. I'm more educated now about the cars than I was when I bought the car, I've found out quite a few things wrong with it, even more than I thought there was.

They should definitely come with some sort of warning label.

It should say the following: "Do NOT buy this car unless you plan on spending $1,000's to get it just right, thousands of hours, and a hell of a lot of patients. Chances are it's a peice of crap unless it was owned by a true CRX enthusiast. It will just end up pissing you off and making you lose tons of money. NOTE: NO INEXPERIENCED 16 YEAR OLDS."

These cars should be illegal. I hate them, but what I wouldn't give to just have a nice one.

JDMHopeful

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
exactly i honestly wish i would have never bought mine it been nothing but a giant money eating pile...but it is different and it not a huge deal if i go mess around in it because i didnt spend alot of money on it unlike my cavalier. i just wish i could get a newer civic hatch, an ae86 corolla, or a chrysler conquest
user posted image

a3h87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: i'm gonna need these keys to 87 honda
no.. because most of the owners know every 1st/3rd gen crxs is well balances good project cars.and the 1st/3rd is already fallen in the collectors catagory. biggrin.gif
Powered By Honda

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
it pays to not be like ever other honda
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
It should come with a label that says, "This is where Honda ends and Honda-Tech begins." I also dont really agree with the statements above, sure your CR-X may have problems but remember its 20 years old with 200,000 miles on it chances are something is going to be broken. And to those who say the engine is junk, maybe Scott's label summed it up "...not for the imagination challenged."

Its a great car, and like any car it has its good and bad. I've owned 3 CR-X's and dont regret any of them.

Julian

bobdragster

• Without 無限Limit
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1980 Honda Prelude
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (87MugenProCR-X @ Jan 24 2007, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And to those who say the engine is junk, maybe Scott's label summed it up "...not for the imagination challenged."
Julian

"...not for the financially challenged."

Fixed biggrin.gif

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
"Warning this car is ment to be owned and operated by people with IQ's over 100."
Posted Image

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ dam i guess i shouldn't own on then...lol
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My car is fine..never spent anything mechanically LOL... actually a true enthusiast would buy an old car.. THATS what makes owning a 1st gen fun for me.. I cant walk into pep boys and buy a intake for it ... Finding parts is like a huge scavenger hunt..and to me that search for the rare part is exceptionally fun!!!..

as far as the engines being crap?? I disagree..my 85 si ran a 16.2 BONE stock down to the aircleaner.. THAT is comparable to a 99-2000 si in the real world.. my buddy had a 1993 civic si hatch with headers/intake/exhaust and ran the SAME time and trap as me??.. by far a sloucher for its time period..

THEY SHOULD SAY "WARNING FOR TRUE ENTHUSIASTS ONLY.."

Edited by etmydst, 24 January 2007 - 03:42 AM.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
"Warning if your a Boy Racer, step away from the car"
Posted Image

slavteren

• pervertet 17" lover!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic zc - 86 crx zc - 87 civic racecar
    • Image Gallery
i guess one of the reasons i like it is bevause there aint a big marked on aftermeked parts for it.. i love fabrikating things, at it is the reason why many of the cars are uniqe... and the ew engine aint crap, and if you spend a few bobs and a lot of houers and swap in a dohc, it is a very fun car.. i my mind much more fun then the newer models..
My beloved civic

My life

user posted image

the most important weapon- is the heart af the worrior.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
BOTTOM LINE.. dont race what you drive, and drive what you race!!! and dont use a 20 year old car as a daily driver/commuter and expect for it to run like a 2007 with no quirks..

1...If you want a 1g/3g CRX/civic as a TOY/PROJECT by all means HAVE ANOTHER CAR for daily driving.. SCOTT DOES, I DO, AS DO MOST PEOPLE that never say their cars are piles of shit also do...

2...I hear a lot of crx owners complain.. "mine always breaks down, or burns the clutch, or bends the valves.or blows the headgaskets.." what you dont tell us is that you bounce it off the rev limiter 7 days a week every time you drive it, and jam it into gear and pop the clutch like your in a 69 cutlass 442 4speed at the dragstrip...."

3...or my crx has all kind of electrical bugs!! but what you fail to tell us is ... "well a fuse blew and I used some soldering wire to replace it" or "I spliced and jimmy rigged all kinds of wires cause i was too lazy to do it the correct way"

4...If you buy a $500 crx expect a $500 crx nothing else..

5...To all people!!!! take the time to check your fluids daily/at the end of the day..it takes 5 minutes at most!I do it every time before and after I drive mine I do it to every car I own..!! If you have a exxon valdez oil leak FIX IT yes you will spin a bearing eventually if not fixed, If you have a overheating problem FIX IT ASAP dont let it go for weeks then bitch how you blew a headgasket..if the clutch has 100,000 miles dont moan about it going out..

6....99% of bitching is caused by OPERATOR ERROR/LAZINESS , or bad inspection upon buying the car,improper maintenance,... all the people that complain about the problems their car has..sit back and think...was it my fault???? yes some things can happen but thats th 1% lol...

Edited by etmydst, 24 January 2007 - 09:58 AM.

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
+1 WRT to proper maintenance.

I guess I'm an exception - my 21-yr old CRX has been my DD for 21 years, and I don't biatch about it. In fact, I really enjoy commuting in it. The dashboard of my truck needs a warning label: "You're not in the CRX, don't take exit ramps at 60!"