• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

Sidewards

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Ugly Outback; 87 CRX Si

Hi,

FIrstly, thank you to all who contribute to these fora, I've been lurking and using the info to wrench on the 87 Si that followed me home from an impound auction, It is too nice to let it be crushed but not perfect  by any means  (rust/rot on p/s rear wheel well...), but mechanically maintained, low kms, and everything works (except per questions below).

My intent is to wrench on it for some fun/learning, get it through the Ontario Safety Cert, plate/drive it for a bit and then sell it on to someone who wants a bone stock (minus dealer installed cruise control...) CRX that was babied for most of its life.

My questions - if you have any experience with the following, please chime in:

1) Brake drag: have lubed up the caliper pins (a tad frozen) but there is to my ears too much front brake drag, doesn't feel like the discs are warped and there is plenty of pad/disc life left. Caliper pistons are clean. Is this a common CRX issue?

2) Torsion bar dust cap: What I have come to understand as the dust cap for the rear of the torsion bar, d/s only, is a bit bent. Not from rust on the mounting point but it looks like it got whacked by something as the car was moving forward. Anyone fixed this before? Easy to remove the mounting bolts and bang it back into shape? Is it carrying tension?

3) Rear wiper likes to rise up as it sweeps (missing the window by a good 4" or so). After lubing everything it got a bit better but it looks like it needs a new spring in the wiper arm to hold the tension? Anyone have experience fixing this?

4) Sunroof: slides perfectly using the allen key but the something electric (motor turning noises, nothing happening...)...is this a common fault?

5) Does one have to remove the head lights to remove the header panel? The two extreme back bolts that hold in the side brackets seem to be impossible to get to?

Thanks for reading and any help you may have!

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx

Torsion bar dust caps do nothing but protect from dust. Best to replace calipers, rotors and pads while you are at it, these parts are cheap enough. Lots of knowledge on this site and welcome, Dave

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
Take the rear "dust cap" off, set the car back on the ground, and see if the end of the torque tube stays where its suppose to. It does not. By removing it, you severely shorten the leverage arm (cantilever) length of the cross member. I would imagine under driving (potholes) conditions it would really move around. The ball joints are forward of the 6 cross-member mounting bolts, causing twist. The "dust cover" holds the lever arm still.

The one on the front is a different story.

Sidewards

• Granny
  • Pip

Torsion bar dust caps, super easy to remove. Shot it with PB blaster in the am, took it off this evening. The bolts that hold it in are stubby (2 or 3 cm of threads). Bashed the floor down, cleaned up the metal part, re-bent it, shot it with some black paint, reinstalled.

Also got the wiper to lay flat through re-bending the helper arm and limiting the spring travel (think the spring is worn).

Anyone have any sunroof knowledge?

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
Try greasing the sunroof and have a helper move it back and forth when you turn the Allen wrench (greasing while it moves) she is old and used so grease is needed sometimes. Helped me get my head in and out while driving her.. Hahaha.
As for the the headlights being removed no you don't have to, just get extensions for your Ratchet and a small 10mm and you'll be good, make sure to gide it through.

Sidewards

• Granny
  • Pip

Thanks Richard for the sunroof advice, she opens smoothly with the allen key but I did grease her up. I can hear the motor(s) turning when pressing the closed part of the switch, nothing happens.

The CRX is at the mechanics to see if it will get an Ontario Safety Certficate this week (so I can plate and drive her). When she's back I'll play with sunroof.

Sidewards

• Granny
  • Pip

And a picture!

IMG_20140621_00757.jpg

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
Wow that's a beauty. I like how the front is aligned still. Keep her alive!
What kinda noise exactly when pressing the open button? Humming or rattling? And when the button is pressed does the sunroof move even just a bit?

Sidewards

• Granny
  • Pip

Thanks! Very well looked after mechancially and low kms (162 or 100k miles). TBD as to whether the wheel arch rust, or some hidden evil, keeps it off the road.

W/R/T sunfroom: whirring/humming. Like a motor is trying to wind/unwind. No movement at all. Any thoughts?

Once it comes back from getting the Safety taking the roof apart is on the list.

Sidewards

• Granny
  • Pip

And it has been passed on to a RPR member - CivicRusty or RustyCivic, great guy who is a Honda and Toyota tech and has bloody brilliant 1st gen Teg